Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 PM

67 posts, read 152,448 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all...

So in what order would you rate following towns: (schooling, community, shopping)

Avon
Burlington
Middlebury
Litchfield
Canton
Bristol
Torrington
Farmington
Watertown
Thomason
Harwintom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docyale View Post
Thanks to all...

So in what order would you rate following towns: (schooling, community, shopping)

Avon
Burlington
Middlebury
Litchfield
Canton
Bristol
Torrington
Farmington
Watertown
Thomason
Harwintom
Overall:

Farmington
Avon
Middlebury
Canton
Litchfield
Burlington
Harwinton
Watertown
Thomason
Torrington
Bristol

Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
I could not possibly rate them for you. What you've got on your list is apples and oranges many of which bear no relationship to each other..

What is it you want from a town ? You've got on your list, Bristol and Torrington, which are kind of tired, blue collar small cities/towns with mediocre schools. However, home prices are good there as compared to places like Avon. Avon is a prime, residential town with excellent schools and high homes values.

Farmington will get you a mix of property types, a regional mall and good schools . Most of the others are fairly lightly developed, suburban to rural type places with none of the diversity of which you are seeking.

I get the feeling that West Hartford is what really suits you but you don't want the commute. Maybe you should just buy there and accept the commute. Or consider Farmington as a strong second choice. Farmington would give you decent schools, shopping and proximity to West Hartford for lots of other stores, restaurants and activities.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docyale View Post
Thanks to all...

Avon
Burlington
Middlebury
Litchfield
Canton
Bristol
Torrington
Farmington
Watertown
Thomason
Harwintom
This is very subjective and depends on what you feel is most important. Here is my ranking:

Avon
Farmington
Burlington
Canton
Litchfield
Middlebury
Harwinton
Thomaston
Watertown
Bristol
Torrington

Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 AM

856 posts, read 2,014,990 times
It would be hard to rate the town specifically, if you highlighted a house or neighborhood in those towns it would be easier. For instance there are portions of each where the city border is misleading.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 AM

67 posts, read 152,448 times
Again thanks for all your thoughts.

TobinJ's point is well taken. I liked some houses in Bristol region (bordering Burlington). Unfortunately no matter where I'm located in Bristol, the school system is still Bristol. Correct?

In fact there is a street where half the houses are under Bristol and rest under Burlington! (UConn drive)

Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Watertown/Oakville is down to earth. Home prices are decent and there is some economic diversity as a result - you can find $700K mcmansions and sub-$200K ranches and plenty of options in between. Very easy commute to both T-ton and Waterbury.

The school system isn't anything special, but there are various private options available.

Middlebury skews a bit more upper middle class.

I like West Hartford very much but I dont know if I like it enough to live there for a Waterbury/Torrington commute with young kids at home. It will chew up a couple of hours per day. I do the opposite drive a couple of days a week but I'd be hard pressed to do it more often than that.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
If you are looking at 122 Uconn Dr. , it shows under the Burlington, CT assessor's database. It does not show under the Bristol assessor's data base. Although # 120 & 125 Uconn Dr. show under Bristol. # 120 also shows under Burlington. In that case it may mean the property straddles the town line, partly in one, partly in the other..

To be 100% sure, contact the Burlington school district, give them the address, and have them look at their district map and make sure that particular house can attend Burlington schools.

The other house on Uconn Dr. that is for sale, # 54 or 59 is definitely in Bristol.

That is a great location -I have family that lives in the area. It's very pleasant. However, schools test scores in Bristol are not wonderful- family has made use of local Catholic schools instead of public schools.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:03 PM

21,740 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is very subjective and depends on what you feel is most important. Here is my ranking:

Avon
Farmington
Burlington
Canton
Litchfield
Middlebury
Harwinton
Thomaston
Watertown
Bristol
Torrington
Looks like a ranking of median income.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:46 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,990 times
I don't know how it is now but I grew up on a "city border" neighborhood and my parents were given a choice, although one you enrolled that was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut