Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:38 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times

Advertisements

Had the pleasure of receiving a ticket on Route 2 east this morning...77 in a 65. I had been sitting in the right lane (where you're SUPPOSED to stay) doing a very safe 73 or so when I came down the long hill in Marlborough around exit 17....speed went up to 77 and next thing you know I'm pulled over.

The troopers are supposed to patrol the highways for one reason: SAFETY. I was not driving unsafely in the slightest--I practically had the entire road to myself, weather conditions were good, and I wasn't zig-zagging between lanes like most people here do. Most importantly in terms of safey, I kept right the entire time.

Yet now I'm stuck with a $200 ticket (which WILL be contested...) yet the troopers completely ignore the OBLIVIOUS drivers who camp out in the left lane and thereby obstruct the flow of traffic, cause road-rage, and decrease safety on the road. Where's the logic behind that? Oh, I forgot..it really isn't about safety at all....it's all about revenue and meeting quotas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 04:02 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post

The troopers are supposed to patrol the highways for one reason: SAFETY.
Sorry to hear about the ticket. That sucks, I know the feeling and I know what you are saying.

We see people ride our bumper, weeve in and out, drive while on the phone, and so many other unsafe driving habits yet you get pulled over.

But they aren't just there for safety. They are there to make sure people obey the laws. Which you were breaking, hence the ticket. Good luck with the fight, hopefully they reduce it a bit.

Look at the bright side...... you know where they might be sitting now on Route 2

Old 12-03-2013, 04:20 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
It does suck, but we all know what the "cushion" is on CT highways. 15 in a 55, 10 in a 65. Roll higher than that(and i have, admittedly), and you're taking a chance.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
If they cared about safety, they would simply require all vehicles to speed limiters in them.(very cheap). Why we allow vehicles to be manufactured to public roads that can do 150mph or more is beyond me. Hell, even in Germany(autobahn), all vehicles are governed to 130mph max by law. No vehicle should be allowed to go over 80.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM

442 posts, read 455,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
If they cared about safety, they would simply require all vehicles to speed limiters in them.(very cheap). Why we allow vehicles to be manufactured to public roads that can do 150mph or more is beyond me. Hell, even in Germany(autobahn), all vehicles are governed to 130mph max by law. No vehicle should be allowed to go over 80.
The statement in bold is untrue.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:06 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Actually, I believe in Germany, most makes of cars are governed to 155. Porsche never signed any of the speed governing agreements with the government, so their cars can go as fast they were designed to go.

The unrestricted sections of the autobahn ( much of it is restricted) have a " recommended maximum " of 130. Interesting wording. Means you can legally go faster but if you are in an accident, your insurer may require you to pay some damages, even if you are not at fault. You won't get a ticket for going over the recommended maximum in an unrestricted section of the road.

I can see keeping speeds tightly controlled on much of 1-95, 1-84, 1-91. But go out to eastern CT on 395 and it's a different world. Once above Norwich on a good day, the sun is shining, the road is straight, you're out there virtually all alone and life is good. Hard to keep the speed down.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
The statement in bold is untrue.
Oh, I was told that by a car salesman. Maybe it wasn't true, but my original point is the same no matter what. Many trucks in trucking fleets are speed governed. It's not that expensive.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
People only drive as fast as they're comfortable driving. It's a flaw with traffic enforcement.

Don't know why you think you're going to contest it though when you acknowledge that you were speeding.

Hopefully you're not the type that drives 77 in the right lane and starts tailgating the guy in front of you going the speed limit and then wondering why they won't pull over for you.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
In terms of enforcement, the police go after the low hanging fruit. It's much easier to nail a speeder on a nearly empty road than it is to deal with the more serious problem of inattentive/poor driving. And of course, there's less money to be made that way.

The safe speed is, of course, variable. I'd bet money that you were perfectly safe at 77 mph, but the speed limit is set for political reasons as well as to accommodate people with poor driving skills and unsafe cars.

The best bet is to go to court and contest it. I've gone that route and it works out reasonably well. Dress nicely for court -- you'd be surprised how many people don't. You don't even have to claim innocence. As a rule, if you have a decent record and your offense is relatively minor, they'll cut you a big break on the fine and also potentially lower the charge.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Hell, even in Germany(autobahn), all vehicles are governed to 130mph max by law.

Completely untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut