Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Erm, no, it's not a boondoggle. Maybe you're not understanding what that term means.

The artist in the first article was paid less than $30,000 for an artistic mural. This wasn't some teenage graffiti painter, it's someone who earns his living as an artist. $30,000 is not an unrealistic amount of money to spend on commissioned artwork created by a professional artist. Nor is it taking longer than expected, or costing more than the original quote. It might not fit your idea of money well spent, but there are lots of things the government spends money on that I think they could ditch in favor of other things. That doesn't make these things a waste of money. It just makes me not like them.

$30k to help make a lousy neighborhood just a little less lousy, in exchange for the publicity, which is further in exchange for informing the people who live there that "you can get insurance, don't forget - and here's how"...I'd say that's a good investment.

They could've spent it on tacky billboards and the sides of the city buses and newspaper inserts. Instead, they sent the message directly to the people who will be most affected by it.
Okay but still....the whole mural reeks of government propaganda. Especially when Obama's face is going to be on it. I could see if it was like a national monument such as Mount Rushmore or something like that. But to plaster a current president's face, funded by the state government at that, in order to promote a new law that's extremely controversial is total propaganda. Regardless of which neighborhood it's in or who's painting it.

I admit that I voted for Obama in 2012, but those low income people in such neighborhoods believe that Obama is their savior, which is just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:48 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay but still....the whole mural reeks of government propaganda. Especially when Obama's face is going to be on it. I could see if it was like a national monument such as Mount Rushmore or something like that. But to plaster a current president's face, funded by the state government at that, in order to promote a new law that's extremely controversial is total propaganda. Regardless of which neighborhood it's in or who's painting it.

I admit that I voted for Obama in 2012, but those low income people in such neighborhoods believe that Obama is their savior, which is just sad.
How would you know that? Would it shock you that hes no longer popular with Gen Y or African Americans....and its been like that for almost a year... Of Course such a "Open minded person like yourself would know that" Your just as bad as some of the people on this forum who think poor people only ride buses and not trains....its laughable and sad.... GET OUT more and open your mind a little more , stop stereotyping...

Old 12-14-2013, 04:52 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
What else should we expect from this third world administration?

Old 12-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
How would you know that? Would it shock you that hes no longer popular with Gen Y or African Americans....and its been like that for almost a year... Of Course such a "Open minded person like yourself would know that" Your just as bad as some of the people on this forum who think poor people only ride buses and not trains....its laughable and sad.... GET OUT more and open your mind a little more , stop stereotyping...
Well, right now I live in Norwalk and see public busses all the time. And 90% of the riders are black or Latino. But Norwalk has about a 61% white population. So please explain to me why this phenomenon occurs. It was the same deal when I lived in Middletown.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:45 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Well, right now I live in Norwalk and see public busses all the time. And 90% of the riders are black or Latino. But Norwalk has about a 61% white population. So please explain to me why this phenomenon occurs. It was the same deal when I lived in Middletown.
Your stereotyping , in the Hartford , Stamford and New Haven divisions its very mixed , I can't say for Norwalk or Middletown but i'm sure its the same.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:26 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Your stereotyping , in the Hartford , Stamford and New Haven divisions its very mixed , I can't say for Norwalk or Middletown but i'm sure its the same.
No it's not. I see the buses every day in NH and it's 90% black and Latino.

The only exception is the free train shuttle and the university buses.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Stereotyping would be this:

"I see 90% blacks and latinos on the buses. Therefore, 90% of all blacks and latinos ride busses."

THAT is stereotyping. It's a subcategory of logical fallacies.

Around here, I'd say the percentage is less severe - maybe only 75-85% black and latino mixed. But generic white folks are definitely in the minority of the subset of "people who take the bus in our area."

Old 12-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Idk what the heck you're talking about. Stereotyping is when you make a broad generalization on an entire group based on what you observed from a small amount of members of that group.

Your mentality seems to ignore facts and favor "compassion," even if it's not true. Had I made a statement such as "the residents of Easton, CT are 95% white," you wouldn't even care to respond. However, if I simply make a statement such as "85% of the population of Hartford is blacks and Latinos," it's a huge red flag to you and motivates you to respond on here. Weird. God forbid if a white person makes an observational statement about a non-white race.

I'm not sure you understand what racism really is. Racism is irrational distaste for people of a certain race. For example, I know a guy in Charlotte who refuses to be serviced by a black dentist or doctor. He actually asks to switch to a white doctor. Or, if he's looking to buy a home, he won't live in it if he found out that the previous occupants were black. And, he said that the entire country's problems would be solved if we shipped all black people back to Africa. Stuff like THAT is racism. But saying "90% of the ridership of CTransit busses are minorities" isn't racist at all. It's observational.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Idk what the heck you're talking about. Stereotyping is when you make a broad generalization on an entire group based on what you observed from a small amount of members of that group.

Your mentality seems to ignore facts and favor "compassion," even if it's not true. Had I made a statement such as "the residents of Easton, CT are 95% white," you wouldn't even care to respond. However, if I simply make a statement such as "85% of the population of Hartford is blacks and Latinos," it's a huge red flag to you and motivates you to respond on here. Weird. God forbid if a white person makes an observational statement about a non-white race.

I'm not sure you understand what racism really is. Racism is irrational distaste for people of a certain race. For example, I know a guy in Charlotte who refuses to be serviced by a black dentist or doctor. He actually asks to switch to a white doctor. Or, if he's looking to buy a home, he won't live in it if he found out that the previous occupants were black. And, he said that the entire country's problems would be solved if we shipped all black people back to Africa. Stuff like THAT is racism. But saying "90% of the ridership of CTransit busses are minorities" isn't racist at all. It's observational.
I agree. Facts can never be racist. They are just facts.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
His popularity among blacks dropped from 92% to 83%. That's still pretty popular by any measure.

His popularity with me is 0%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut