Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
His popularity among blacks dropped from 92% to 83%. That's still pretty popular by any measure.

His popularity with me is 0%.
I voted for him in 2012, but don't necessarily approve of him. The whole Obamacare thing is a disaster and caused millions of people's health insurance premiums to double for 2014. Some people have to sell their homes or luxury cars just to afford the premiums, while the less fortunate get healthcare for cheap now. My parents' premiums (a family plan that covers 5 people) went from $8,000 per year to $16,000 for the year, beginning in 2014. My mother will now have to sell her Camaro just to afford it. But instead, they are considering paying the 1% penalty and just paying for health care out of pocket. If something truly tragic does happen, they can simply sell one of their many houses in Hartford.

So, the wealthy don't really need to purchase health insurance, because many of them have other assets that can be liquidated if something truly expensive health-care related does happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 02:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is absolutely outrageous. Those murals only represent one race, which happens to be a minority and is not reflective of the overall population.
So, publicly supported arts should represent only the majority race, or, attempt to represent all races based on their presence in society?

Waste of money, and, opens art work to specious arguments like this...

Old 12-14-2013, 03:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So, publicly supported arts should represent only the majority race, or, attempt to represent all races based on their presence in society?

Waste of money, and, opens art work to specious arguments like this...
The mural's purpose is to promote Obamacare. Everyone on the mural is black. I don't know. The whole thing is just extremely weird. I GUARANTEE you if this was done in a white neighborhood and everyone on the mural was white, there would be outrage from the black community, claiming that there's no diversity and inclusion on the mural.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:25 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The mural's purpose is to promote Obamacare. Everyone on the mural is black. I don't know. The whole thing is just extremely weird. I GUARANTEE you if this was done in a white neighborhood and everyone on the mural was white, there would be outrage from the black community, claiming that there's no diversity and inclusion on the mural.
Weird is right. And honestly, Im one who doesnt care that much about diversity and all that. However, the side that screams about it constantly, legitimately or not, is the side that most likely put this whole thing in play. Yet doesn't seem to me they have any issues with lack of diversity in the murals.

Anyways, my biggest complaint is that this was funded by what I believe to be tax dollars. It should've been funded by raising money or charity. I am a big believer in curbing government spending, on all levels. I have learned to value each and every dollar I work hard for. And I am sick and tired of our governments taking advantage of money they take from us. Each and every dollar they spend should have a real and actual legitimate purpose and be put to good use. This is not one of them, among many other ways they mis-spend money.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:30 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
"I see 90% blacks and latinos on the buses. Therefore, 90% of all blacks and latinos ride busses."

THAT is stereotyping. It's a subcategory of logical fallacies.
Not really. I drive by several bus stops every day and seeing a white person is rare. If, at the most, 1 out 10 people at the bus stops are white in downtown New Haven, that's an observation - not a stereotype.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it either, it's just an observation...

Old 12-14-2013, 03:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not really. I drive by several bus stops every day and seeing a white person is rare. If, at the most, 1 out 10 people at the bus stops are white in downtown New Haven, that's an observation - not a stereotype.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it either, it's just an observation...
You're not concluding that 90% of all blacks ride busses. You're concluding that 90% of busriders in your area are black.

Most blacks don't live in New Haven, CT. Most blacks don't even live in the USA. I'm going to take a guess that most blacks that don't live in the USA, don't ride the bus.

Therefore - 90% of blacks don't ride the bus.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:01 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're not concluding that 90% of all blacks ride busses.
You're right, I'm not. Only in New Haven, and it's not 90% black - it's a mix of black and Hispanic. Nexxis was trying to claim it wasn't the case in New Haven. That's all.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
It still doesn't mean that 90% of all blacks and hispanics in New Haven ride the bus. This might even be true. But we don't know that. How many blacks and hispanics are there in New Haven? How many of them ride the bus? There's a variable missing, and until Nexxus (or anyone else) can fill in the blank on that variable, then they would be making an assumption with missing data.

You're agreeing with me, I think. Unless you are also claiming that 90% of all blacks/hispanics in New Haven take the bus. In which case - you might be correct, but you really don't know. It might even possibly be bus-dependent. I mean - what about buses that don't go down Whalley or Dixwell? What about the ones that go on State Street, or the Universal Drive North Haven? It might -even- be stop-related. Maybe 90% of blacks ride the bus only to 3 stops - and the other 97% of the route, it's occupied by 94% whites.

It's all just silliness and conjecture. I don't, and can't, take anyone seriously when they make such ridiculous claims - especially if they don't even -try- to back it up with solid reliable resource data material.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats laughable , murals reflect a neighborhood or culture of the region....I guess they've never been to Philly or Seattle.... I'm sure the all white murals would freak them out aswell....in the all white area...or the gay murals in the gay areas....or the Asian murals in the Asian areas... You have a problem with it because you are a racist , you said you don't like black people in past posting on this site. I really doubt you have any black friends or Friends in general , your a social outcast. Whites will lose majority by 2050....overseas the process has started....birth rate is shrinking...while in the Asian and Black parts of the world its growing.... Things are starting mix aswell , due to racial stereotypes slowly going away...
Unless you can back that up with facts, perhaps you should just refrain from using that term. Closet racist included, BTW.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:39 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Unless you can back that up with facts, perhaps you should just refrain from using that term. Closet racist included, BTW.
Just about everything is racist now. The word has lost all meaning through severe overuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut