Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,373,809 times

Advertisements

They did a bad job plowing the roads. It was only a few inches. We clearly don't have enough trucks/plow drivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,672,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Again, I think many were thinking more about not driving in dicey conditions after dark, not so much a traffic problem per se........I know that would've been my thought on it.
Exactly..

Old 12-18-2013, 05:34 PM

457 posts, read 899,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Again, I think many were thinking more about not driving in dicey conditions after dark, not so much a traffic problem per se........I know that would've been my thought on it.
It worked out. We supported out customers and everyone made it home safe and sound. Cheers!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:08 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,584,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
It is disappointing. I things started changing in the late 90s to early 2000s. CT used to be a very hardy state - suck it up & endure the snow/sleet/freezing rain.
I grew up in Danbury and remember having snow days in the 80's as well. There was a bad ice storm in 1993 that pretty much shut us down for a week. That year we had school until June 30.

I think the real reason that schools are more likely to close is that they are able to just tack on the day to the end of the year. Plus, I believe the schools receive their funding according to attendance, if the school will only be half full, it doesn't make sense to close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
Bunch of high schoolers out driving around on roads that are plowed and salted but still are icy as heck.
Yep, this is exactly what the schools have to think of when they open/close.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 AM

879 posts, read 1,648,551 times
I was laughing at Stratford schools for closing until I took my kids to daycare, which wasn't closed. I had a hard time driving, and I have a lot of experience driving in shoreline snowy weather. I think the pattern of snow made it difficult to plow, and it was light enough in some spots that it became really slick.

I'm going to consider snow tires...

Old 12-20-2013, 01:01 PM

83,266 posts, read 74,477,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I was laughing at Stratford schools for closing until I took my kids to daycare, which wasn't closed. I had a hard time driving, and I have a lot of experience driving in shoreline snowy weather. I think the pattern of snow made it difficult to plow, and it was light enough in some spots that it became really slick.

I'm going to consider snow tires...
I talked to Costco and they said tire business picked up a lot in the past 2 weeks. And I hope everyone who did complain about the schools closing, wakes up. It's the same concept as those who didn't evacuate because Irene was nothing then realized why they should of when Sandy hit. Something has to happen for them to realize its about safety if it happens or not. And in this case it's more about keeping kids safe then a label of location or the headache it causes a parent..

As Stylo said though, we'll always find something to complain about.

As far as "why" a light event was so bad on the roads... Temps in the teens and low 20s produced tiny crystalized flakes that not only wasn't melting on the roads, but the flake itself is slippery because it barely has water in it.. It's pretty much high altitude mountain type snow. It was that cold. Typically it snows in the 30s in CT or even upper 20s but those temps we had was not the usual for us. Snow does not stick on roads when its falling lightly but it did for the 17th event because temps were cold enough.

Even with the plows going through, it made for a flatter slippery surface when the new snow did fall on it. Salt wasn't doing anything at that point and I don't think we were ready to throw sand on every square foot of all the roads.

I was in it too. 2 hours for 18 miles of travel. I-95 was iced up. I personally never saw that.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:11 PM

Thought I post this in here. It might shock a few that the Midwest are closing schools because of the temps, not snow.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/01/public-schools-close-in-midwest-due-to-record-breaking-temperatures/

Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 PM

Schools closed tomorrow from severe storms that hit area. No power and roads impassable.

Region 15 schools closed Wednesday | WTNH.com

Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,202,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Schools closed tomorrow from severe storms that hit area. No power and roads impassable.

Region 15 schools closed Wednesday | WTNH.com
^ sounds awful. I just posted a link in the weather thread -- a man in New Milford was electrocuted/died in tonight's storm. So sad...

Old 11-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Thought I post this here to show CT is not the only ones..

Even Alaska closes for snow. Remember, Its a safety thing not whos tough or soft. Plus everyone like to slap a lawsuit on anyone.

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/s...73708134301696
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut