Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:57 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,704 times

Advertisements

Stratford to Westport wasn't bad for me when I did it, but not ideal now that I have kids. I just don't really want to pay for 1.5hrs/day of childcare so I can sit in my car, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:32 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,166,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
We're STILL trying to decide where we're planning to move in the next year or so.

I work from home and my husband works in Trumbull, but knowing that that might not be the case forever, I have to take commute times to potential future jobs into account.

We want access to natural gas, sewer, and town water, which eliminates Ridgefield, Wilton, Weston, Redding, and Easton. We want to spend less than $600k, which eliminates Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, and Westport. We want above-average schools, which eliminates Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, and Stratford.

So. We're left with Fairfield, Trumbull, Monroe, and Shelton. My fear is that anything other than Fairfield would be an intolerable commute to Norwalk or Stamford if needed. In fact, I'm wondering whether Fairfield to Stamford would even be okay. Anyone want to weigh in?
Perhaps I am the only one who is particularly bothered by the emphasis placed on public utilities over the best schools and commute convenience. Priorities seem really off. I can get comfortable with commute over schools to stay sane or reduce day care costs but you have an opportunity to check off both necessities in on shot. Wilton or Ridgefield would offer incredible schools and a low stress commute (although over 30 minutes from Ridgefield). I also see septic as a huge plus to public utilities after my coworker ended up with 20000 gallons of raw sewage back up in his basement. With septic I'm limited to 500 or so of my own waste- still messy but not Armageddon. As for power outages this has nothing to do with public utilities and everything to do with tree cover. I previously lived in Stamford on sewer/public water and still lost power for a week in the 2011 spring down burst/noreaster.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Perhaps I am the only one who is particularly bothered by the emphasis placed on public utilities over the best schools and commute convenience. Priorities seem really off. I can get comfortable with commute over schools to stay sane or reduce day care costs but you have an opportunity to check off both necessities in on shot. Wilton or Ridgefield would offer incredible schools and a low stress commute (although over 30 minutes from Ridgefield). I also see septic as a huge plus to public utilities after my coworker ended up with 20000 gallons of raw sewage back up in his basement. With septic I'm limited to 500 or so of my own waste- still messy but not Armageddon. As for power outages this has nothing to do with public utilities and everything to do with tree cover. I previously lived in Stamford on sewer/public water and still lost power for a week in the 2011 spring down burst/noreaster.
I feel that the money we would save buying in Trumbull or Shelton vs a more expensive town would offset the difference in school districts in terms of being able to offer our kids opportunities outside of school or not saddling them with college loans later in life. Richer towns will have higher test scores; I'm not convinced they'll provide a dramatically different academic experience. I also simply don't want to live in Ridgefield or Wilton all that much. I like the dense neighborhood we live in in Stratford and would stay here if the schools didn't seem to have such disciplinary issues at middle school+.

I know the power outages aren't related to public utilities -- just another downside I see to the more wooded towns.

I'm not really here to debate my town preferences - rather to understand whether Fairfield offers enough of a commute advantage to choose it over the others on our list.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Its not just about test scores (Greenwich also challenges your thesis, many SW districts outperform Gwich), you also need to factor in networking and the potential of attending school with children of prominient professionals/large business owners. Huge/intangible benefit. If we couple that with a more convenient commute it is pretty close to a no brainer. Let's also factor in cost, 500k can go a long way in Ridgefield.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:54 PM

When people come here asking for advice on where to live, they are asked about their budget and the type of community they want to live in. I would prefer an updated home in a dense, walkable neighborhood; I don't think that's possible in Ridgefield. I include all of Fairfield County in my real estate searches and rarely come across something appealing in my price range in Ridgefield, and certainly nothing so amazing that it makes me overlook the fact it's not the type of environment I enjoy. I truly think I would feel depressed in too rural of an environment.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM

468 posts, read 708,481 times
I think it's fair to want a true suburban, cul-de-sac, subdivision kind of environment. People with kids, for example, like the fact that they will have lots of kids on the same street as them and that their kids may be able to walk/bike to friends' houses, play in the street, etc. You don't have that in an area like Wilton or Weston. If that's what you want, Trumbull will work. It's not for me, but this isn't about my preferences. I just didn't think the access to public utilities is a big deal (and the loss of power has very little to do with where you live, unless it's truly rural).

In terms of schools, I think a lot of that is overrated. While having a great school system is of course preferable, most people overlook the fact that economics and parent's education level/involvement are the biggest factors in their children's success. (Provided you're not talking about sending your kids to school in Bridgeport or somewhere.) Towns with good schools are usually towns with educated populations, involved parents, and parents who value education (hence, why they picked the town), so it's not necessarily true that the school caused the good outcomes. And I don't think the difference between Trumbull and Wilton is going to make or break you.

As for networking--sorry, but I don't buy it. First of all, Weston and Ridgefield ain't Greenwich. Second, the hedgies all ship their kids off to private school ASAP. Third, many people may not want to be on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum in their town (which, at $500k, you would be in many of the "better" towns in Fairfield County). Fourth, that's a pretty intangible and ultimately unquantifiable factor to try to consider, in the face of the poster's very tangible, quantifiable concerns.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
I think it's fair to want a true suburban, cul-de-sac, subdivision kind of environment. People with kids, for example, like the fact that they will have lots of kids on the same street as them and that their kids may be able to walk/bike to friends' houses, play in the street, etc. You don't have that in an area like Wilton or Weston. If that's what you want, Trumbull will work. It's not for me, but this isn't about my preferences. I just didn't think the access to public utilities is a big deal (and the loss of power has very little to do with where you live, unless it's truly rural).

In terms of schools, I think a lot of that is overrated. While having a great school system is of course preferable, most people overlook the fact that economics and parent's education level/involvement are the biggest factors in their children's success. (Provided you're not talking about sending your kids to school in Bridgeport or somewhere.) Towns with good schools are usually towns with educated populations, involved parents, and parents who value education (hence, why they picked the town), so it's not necessarily true that the school caused the good outcomes. And I don't think the difference between Trumbull and Wilton is going to make or break you.

As for networking--sorry, but I don't buy it. First of all, Weston and Ridgefield ain't Greenwich. Second, the hedgies all ship their kids off to private school ASAP. Third, many people may not want to be on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum in their town (which, at $500k, you would be in many of the "better" towns in Fairfield County). Fourth, that's a pretty intangible and ultimately unquantifiable factor to try to consider, in the face of the poster's very tangible, quantifiable concerns.
I'll work on a full response to most of the points here but I work at a premiere alts shop and with the exception of the founder/CEO all of the partners that reside outside NYC have sent their kids to publics. Greenwich, Darien, New canaan and Wilton in particular.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:46 PM

642 posts, read 858,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
When people come here asking for advice on where to live, they are asked about their budget and the type of community they want to live in. I would prefer an updated home in a dense, walkable neighborhood; I don't think that's possible in Ridgefield. I include all of Fairfield County in my real estate searches and rarely come across something appealing in my price range in Ridgefield, and certainly nothing so amazing that it makes me overlook the fact it's not the type of environment I enjoy. I truly think I would feel depressed in too rural of an environment.
You know Lintu your post made me think of my mom. I was born in Stamford. My dad started a business and he did well. He had property in Ridgefield and he wanted to move there becuase he now had the means when his business was doing well. My mom didn't want to move to Ridgefield because of your exact reason. She felt she would have been too islolated up there. We moved to north Stamford and I went to Westhill HS. I did very well there and so did all of the kids I went to HS with. In fact Governor Malloy* went to Westhill HS too.

If your kids apply themselves in the Trumbull, Fairfield, Monroe or Shelton schools I am sure your kids will do well. Shelton has pretty good schools but not quite as good as Trumbull, Fairfield and Monroe I am told.

* I might not agree with all of his politics but he was smart enough to become govenor.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
You know Lintu your post made me think of my mom. I was born in Stamford. My dad started a business and he did well. He had property in Ridgefield and he wanted to move there becuase he now had the means when his business was doing well. My mom didn't want to move to Ridgefield because of your exact reason. She felt she would have been too islolated up there. We moved to north Stamford and I went to Westhill HS. I did very well there and so did all of the kids I went to HS with. In fact Governor Malloy* went to Westhill HS too.

If your kids apply themselves in the Trumbull, Fairfield, Monroe or Shelton schools I am sure your kids will do well. Shelton has pretty good schools but not quite as good as Trumbull, Fairfield and Monroe I am told.

* I might not agree with all of his politics but he was smart enough to become govenor.
One of my college roommates (and I went to a good school) went to Westhill

Old 12-21-2013, 12:36 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post

If your kids apply themselves in the Trumbull, Fairfield, Monroe or Shelton schools I am sure your kids will do well.
That same adage would apply to virtually every suburban town in the state. The cities are a bit of a different story though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut