Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2013, 11:35 AM
 
879 posts, read 1,660,162 times
Reputation: 415

Advertisements

We're STILL trying to decide where we're planning to move in the next year or so.

I work from home and my husband works in Trumbull, but knowing that that might not be the case forever, I have to take commute times to potential future jobs into account.

We want access to natural gas, sewer, and town water, which eliminates Ridgefield, Wilton, Weston, Redding, and Easton. We want to spend less than $600k, which eliminates Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, and Westport. We want above-average schools, which eliminates Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, and Stratford.

So. We're left with Fairfield, Trumbull, Monroe, and Shelton. My fear is that anything other than Fairfield would be an intolerable commute to Norwalk or Stamford if needed. In fact, I'm wondering whether Fairfield to Stamford would even be okay. Anyone want to weigh in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2013, 12:10 PM
 
642 posts, read 858,819 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
So. We're left with Fairfield, Trumbull, Monroe, and Shelton. My fear is that anything other than Fairfield would be an intolerable commute to Norwalk or Stamford if needed. In fact, I'm wondering whether Fairfield to Stamford would even be okay. Anyone want to weigh in?
I am originally from Stamford. When my husband and I were looking for a home we wanted to move to Fairfield near the water but could not afford it. We bought a home in Trumbull. We really like it here in Trumbull. We both commuted to Stamford for about 5-6 years utill we found jobs up here. It is a rather rough commute and after a few years the commute starts to wear on you. I would say your best bet would be Fairfield or Southport. Southport is a section Fairfield that is closest to the Westport border. You can probably get a nice house in Fairfield for $600,000 also. The commute should not be too bad.

I am not sure what field your husband is in but many of my neighbors used to work down county and many have found good jobs in New Haven. The commute to New Haven is much better because you are going in the opposite direction of the rush traffic. Bear that in mind....not all job roads lead to Stamford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 PM
 
101 posts, read 111,826 times
Reputation: 115
I live in Fairfield and commute to Norwalk. Usually takes 30-45 mins. Depending on 95 flow of traffic I may take route 1 but either one will take atleast 30 mins if he commutes at an average time. If he leaves earlier than most people the commute would be very easy, 15 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 12:33 PM
 
468 posts, read 708,615 times
Reputation: 229
I-95 commutes are awful, generally speaking (even reverse commutes), and that's really the only good way to get from Fairfield to Stamford (unless you live near the Merritt, which is largely the more expensive part of Fairfield). You're also going to be stuck in traffic with everyone going to the city. Fairfield to Norwalk would certainly be better, just because it's a shorter drive, but you will still deal with traffic and still likely using 95. I don't think Trumbull/Monroe will be much worse. While I've never commuted on 25, I've driven it at rush hour and traffic wasn't awful. Depending on where you live in Monroe, you could also do back roads to Norwalk and avoid the highway altogether, for a slower, but more pleasant, commute. This will depend on where in Norwalk you work and where in Monroe you live. I lived in backwoods Easton right over the Monroe line and commuted to Westport on back roads and quite liked it.

I might reconsider your desire for municipal services. At your price point and your preferences, you will get vastly better schools and a much more pleasant and upscale community in Redding, Weston, Wilton, Easton, or Ridgefield than you would in Trumbull, Monroe, or Shelton. Fairfield is fine, but it ties you to 95 and has very large public schools, and your $600k won't go as far there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 12:41 PM
 
879 posts, read 1,660,162 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
I-95 commutes are awful, generally speaking (even reverse commutes), and that's really the only good way to get from Fairfield to Stamford (unless you live near the Merritt, which is largely the more expensive part of Fairfield). You're also going to be stuck in traffic with everyone going to the city. Fairfield to Norwalk would certainly be better, just because it's a shorter drive, but you will still deal with traffic and still likely using 95. I don't think Trumbull/Monroe will be much worse. While I've never commuted on 25, I've driven it at rush hour and traffic wasn't awful. Depending on where you live in Monroe, you could also do back roads to Norwalk and avoid the highway altogether, for a slower, but more pleasant, commute. This will depend on where in Norwalk you work and where in Monroe you live. I lived in backwoods Easton right over the Monroe line and commuted to Westport on back roads and quite liked it.

I might reconsider your desire for municipal services. At your price point and your preferences, you will get vastly better schools and a much more pleasant and upscale community in Redding, Weston, Wilton, Easton, or Ridgefield than you would in Trumbull, Monroe, or Shelton. Fairfield is fine, but it ties you to 95 and has very large public schools, and your $600k won't go as far there.
I'm truly okay with the schools in Trumbull, Monroe, Fairfield, and even Shelton. Really, while I'm putting $600k as a max price, I'd really prefer to pay something more like $450k for an updated 1800-2000 sq ft home, which fits more solidly in those towns than the others. I also prefer the more dense feel of those towns versus Ridgefield, Redding, etc.

I appreciate the perspective on Fairfield vs Trumbull/Monroe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 PM
 
642 posts, read 858,819 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
$450k for an updated 1800-2000 sq ft home, which fits more solidly in those towns than the others. I also prefer the more dense feel of those towns versus Ridgefield, Redding, etc.
I will tell you were you might hit the bullseye for a $450,000 1800-2000 SF home. I live in upper Long Hill Trumbull (north of the Town Hall) and you can find a nice house for $450,000 on about 1/2 acre. We are also near the route 8/25 connector that gets you to the Parkway quickly and Thruway fairly quickly.

And your husband can roll of of bed and be to work in less then 5-10 minutes now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
21,741 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Reputation: 6710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
My fear is that anything other than Fairfield would be an intolerable commute to Norwalk or Stamford if needed. In fact, I'm wondering whether Fairfield to Stamford would even be okay. Anyone want to weigh in?
Fairfield to Norwalk is not bad at all. You can make use of back roads if necessary.

Fairfield to Stamford by car is brutal.

If you MUST do a car commute to Stamford, I'd look hard at Ridgefield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
 
879 posts, read 1,660,162 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I will tell you were you might hit the bullseye for a $450,000 1800-2000 SF home. I live in upper Long Hill Trumbull (north of the Town Hall) and you can find a nice house for $450,000 on about 1/2 acre. We are also near the route 8/25 connector that gets you to the Parkway quickly and Thruway fairly quickly.

And your husband can roll of of bed and be to work in less then 5-10 minutes now
I like that part of town! I also like the part of town that feeds into Jane Ryan Elementary.

And yeah, it would be a VERY easy commute for my husband. Even from where we are now, it's only 15-20min.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 02:09 PM
 
879 posts, read 1,660,162 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Fairfield to Norwalk is not bad at all. You can make use of back roads if necessary.

Fairfield to Stamford by car is brutal.

If you MUST do a car commute to Stamford, I'd look hard at Ridgefield.
Thanks! That's helpful about Norwalk vs Stamford.

I've considered Ridgefield on occasion, but I just don't like what we can get for the money, and people I know who live there have had really bad experiences with the storms (power outages).

When my husband was still working in Stamford, we considered it, but I just don't think it's a good match for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
21,741 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Reputation: 6710
I did Milford to Westport nearly on the Norwalk border and it was totally tolerable. Even the worst days weren't THAT bad, and I would take backroads starting in Fairfield or Trumbull.

I have some friends that commute to Norwalk almost to the Darien border from Fairfield/Stratford/Milford, and that's another story. That can be brutal. Their office has a free shuttle from SoNo train, so many people just do that.

If the job is in South Norwalk, couldn't be an easier commute from Fairfield via train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top