Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 06:40 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times

Advertisements

i got numerous winter storm warning alerts via UVerse this afternoon and it said the warning will start around 3am (when it starts snowing) and last until Thurs afternoon. does this jive with any of the numerous different predictions being reported?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:43 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
A Facebook friend of mine got a text that New Britain schools are closed for tomorrow. I'd wait for confirmation, though.
I just saw it was closed on WFSB site.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:44 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
A Facebook friend of mine got a text that New Britain schools are closed for tomorrow. I'd wait for confirmation, though.
WTNH just posted on their "closings" website that New Britain is the first in the state to declare a closure. A few minutes later Stonington was added to the list.

There's also this article posted just 2 hours ago that seems to have my logic (that if it weren't for coming back from a long break, schools would be open or early dismissed tomorrow then closed Friday but now will probably be closed both days even with the "lull" midday tomorrow):

Connecticut's Extreme Weather Home | WXedge.com | Schools to Stay Closed Until Monday?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Long Island Expressway may close Thursday afternoon before blizzard hits. Cuomo: LIE, parkways may be closed before blizzard hits LI

Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Long Island Expressway may close Thursday afternoon before blizzard hits. Cuomo: LIE, parkways may be closed before blizzard hits LI
LOL....conceding the fact that long island does not have the snow removing capability to handle a foot of snow and some winds.(lie is not ON the coast.It's inland so winds won't even be as strong as coastal winds). This is the Governor of NY. Kind of funny how couple hundred miles away he wouldn't dream of shutting down I-81 between watertown, ny and syracuse, ny. for something like this or even much worse. You'd think Long island were a tropical island or something. Jeez....it's a foot of snow and some wind. Get that BREAD! lol

Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
LOL....conceding the fact that long island does not have the snow removing capability to handle a foot of snow and some winds.(lie is not ON the coast.It's inland so winds won't even be as strong as coastal winds). This is the Governor of NY. Kind of funny how couple hundred miles away he wouldn't dream of shutting down I-81 between watertown, ny and syracuse, ny. for something like this or even much worse. You'd think Long island were a tropical island or something. Jeez....it's a foot of snow and some wind. Get that BREAD! lol
I was kind of surprised to see this myself especially since I was under the impression the main part of the storm was not hitting till tomorrow night. Total guess but maybe it is to get people (especially employers) to take it more seriously because there will always be people who want to treat Thursday and Friday as normal work days despite a decent snowstorm and blizzard.

As for Long Island snow removal, ok ok ok, maybe we are not as good as Connecticut or especially Upstate but we are not some place in the Deep South where one inch brings everything to a standstill!

Btw, once again thank you to Cambium and all the regulars here on the Connecticut weather threads for all the hard work you guys do. Even thanks to that guy who is out hunting waves somewhere.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
I'm starting to think that this storm is just a lot of hype.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I'm starting to think that this storm is just a lot of hype.
It's the media hype....you have the weather channel naming every "storm" that drops a few inches of snow. My poor grandma gets scared by these people every time there's a thunderstorm. Remember when we were "hardy new englanders" who were able to deal with snow? Now it's a run to the grocery store like armageddon and famine are coming....LOL

Old 01-02-2014, 03:14 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Just got the call that Danbury is having early dismissal.....so (for example) the high school will be open from 7:20 to 10:30 today......considering that they will almost certainly be closed tomorrow I guess they are desperate to not have another day to make up. Per News 12 the few Westchester districts that are going back today seem to all be doing the same thing and I now see most FFC districts (i.e. Stamford, Stratford) are doing the same thing.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:05 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
Sounds like another silly move - making everyone go in on snow covered roads and then go home early.. Driveway is covered here and snow is steadily coming down in North Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut