Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I will have to try it. Rice Pot in New Haven and Mai Thai in Orange are next on my list to try. I like Siam Orchids in Branford and Taste of Thai in Milford for good, basic Thai.
Siam Orchids is way too greasy for me and I don't like it at all. I actually used to drive into New Haven to get it from Rice Pot because it was far better. Then I tried Thai Emerald and now anytime I'm in that area, I go there. Emerald is a little spicier than others but their food is very fresh. For comparison purposes, I usually get the drunken noodles with chicken.

I haven't tried Taste of Thai but I will next time I'm out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Taste of Thai is very light, heavy on vegetables. One reason I like it. I haven't been to Siam in probably 3 years, but have only gotten lunch specials there.

Thai Taste in New Haven is solid too, and if it's any indication from their New Haven food carts - Thai Awesome in Hamden is probably pretty, well, awesome.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:16 PM

547 posts, read 774,848 times
Quote:
I had takeout from Dragon Garden 3 in Milford a few times, since they are close and deliver. It's definitely your typical takeout Chinese but very well done and fresh.
I lived in Milford for 2 1/2 years without finding good takeout until I had DG3 about 2 months before moving out...I also like Taste of Thai in Milford, easy to find seats too...

Old 02-28-2014, 07:17 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times
Quote:
I like Chao, which is sort of a Taiwanese/Chinese mix. It's got a nice, upscale but not stuffy feel. I've heard Taste of China on the green is good and has a fine dining feel. Great Wall is supposed to have good dim sum. And of course there's always Lao Sze Chuan in Milford.
Hey, so I went to Lao Sze Chuan tonight and wanted to come back and report.

Their chicken fried rice was awesome, but that's where it stopped. Their general tso chicken had a nasty texture (it was scaly and airy...just weird, like nothing I've ever seen before). Their egg rolls weren't even crispy and were actually kind of soggy.

I'll go back if i'm in the area but probably only for their chicken fried rice. I didn't end up eating my general tso chicken...it's in the fridge now but I might just throw it out. My gf tasted it too and agreed it was the most disgusting general tso she's ever had. Blah

Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Well, first off you don't go to a place known for authentic Szechuan and get the most American items on the menu. Just sayin.

If I want General Tso and egg rolls (Chinese American fast food basically) I get delivery from Dragon Garden 3. They do that well.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:05 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times
Quote:
Well, first off you don't go to a place known for authentic Szechuan and get the most American items on the menu. Just sayin.

If I want General Tso and egg rolls (Chinese American fast food basically) I get delivery from Dragon Garden 3. They do that well.
Well, first off I asked for a Chinese restaurant and told you exactly what I was going to get, and YOU recommended Lao Szechuan. I appreciated the recommendation but don't get all defensive if I tell you I didn't like it. Jeez

Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,294 times
Formosa Asian Fusion in North Haven, Middletown Ave- next to Giulios (another good place- for pizza)

Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I know I've mentioned this before on this forum and I know that it's Thai, not Chinese, but go to Bangkok Gardens (172 York in New Haven). Order the Chaya noodles. It's a perfect mix of a noodle dish and a curry dish. It's noodles with seafood (shrimp, scallops) in a red curry sauce.

I just drooled.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:11 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Hey, so I went to Lao Sze Chuan tonight and wanted to come back and report.

Their chicken fried rice was awesome, but that's where it stopped. Their general tso chicken had a nasty texture (it was scaly and airy...just weird, like nothing I've ever seen before). Their egg rolls weren't even crispy and were actually kind of soggy.

I'll go back if i'm in the area but probably only for their chicken fried rice. I didn't end up eating my general tso chicken...it's in the fridge now but I might just throw it out. My gf tasted it too and agreed it was the most disgusting general tso she's ever had. Blah
Thanks for the update and that sounds absolutely disgusting. I will also add that if somewhere is truly gourmet and "authentic", they will not have General Tso's on their menu. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I know I've mentioned this before on this forum and I know that it's Thai, not Chinese, but go to Bangkok Gardens (172 York in New Haven). Order the Chaya noodles. It's a perfect mix of a noodle dish and a curry dish. It's noodles with seafood (shrimp, scallops) in a red curry sauce.

I just drooled.
We're supposed to meet friends at Thai Emerald in North Haven tonight but I just read the reviews at Bangkok Gardens and I'm going to send a mass text asking to go there instead! I love Thai.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Thanks for the update and that sounds absolutely disgusting. I will also add that if somewhere is truly gourmet and "authentic", they will not have General Tso's on their menu. Just sayin'.

We're supposed to meet friends at Thai Emerald in North Haven tonight but I just read the reviews at Bangkok Gardens and I'm going to send a mass text asking to go there instead! I love Thai.
A lot of authentic Chinese restaurants will have two menus - one for Chinese customers (often mostly in Chinese) and one for non-Chinese customers.

If I go into Lao Szechuan first and ask for a table for four, I will get four non-Chinese menus and my wife would need to ask for a Chinese menu. They'll also probably give me those dried noodles to start on the table. If my Chinese wife goes in first, they'll give her four Chinese menus, and I'd need to ask for a menu in English. They'd also probably put tea on the table instead of the dried noodles. The English menu will have your normal Chinese restaurant items (lo mein, fried rice, etc) and maybe a few authentic items mixed in, but often with an American twist (Americanized Chinese dishes often have a brown sauce put on them, while more authentic ones will often will have a white/clear sauce, which is less sweet.)

Depending on my mood, sometimes I'll order from the "English" menu, and other times from the Chinese menu, and I've always had a good experience there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut