Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
A lot of authentic Chinese restaurants will have two menus - one for Chinese customers (often mostly in Chinese) and one for non-Chinese customers.

If I go into Lao Szechuan first and ask for a table for four, I will get four non-Chinese menus and my wife would need to ask for a Chinese menu. They'll also probably give me those dried noodles to start on the table. If my Chinese wife goes in first, they'll give her four Chinese menus, and I'd need to ask for a menu in English. They'd also probably put tea on the table instead of the dried noodles. The English menu will have your normal Chinese restaurant items (lo mein, fried rice, etc) and maybe a few authentic items mixed in, but often with an American twist (Americanized Chinese dishes often have a brown sauce put on them, while more authentic ones will often will have a white/clear sauce, which is less sweet.)

Depending on my mood, sometimes I'll order from the "English" menu, and other times from the Chinese menu, and I've always had a good experience there.
So you're saying Lao Szechuan has two menus, and distributes different menus to people based on how they look?

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-01-2014 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

We're supposed to meet friends at Thai Emerald in North Haven tonight but I just read the reviews at Bangkok Gardens and I'm going to send a mass text asking to go there instead! I love Thai.
Oh my god, if you go, please, please, PLEASE have the Chaya noodles. Yeah, sure, I'll be envious but... oh god, I'm drooling again. Let me know if you go!

Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
So you're saying Lao Szechuan has two menus, and distributes different menus to people based on how they look?
yes

Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
yes
Do they all have the same food, just different languages?

If they have the same food, just different languages, I'll say again that any place with "authentic" Chinese will not have General Tso's chicken on their menu. Actually I don't think "authentic Chinese" can be found anywhere in the US...

Old 03-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Do they all have the same food, just different languages?

If they have the same food, just different languages, I'll say again that any place with "authentic" Chinese will not have General Tso's chicken on their menu.
No, there will be different items on the different menus. As I said above, the one in English will include your typical items like lo mein, fried rice, general tso's chicken, etc. What I was not clear about was that the Chinese one most likely will not have those items, and will have different "authentic" dishes on the menu.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
No, there will be different items on the different menus. As I said above, the one in English will include your typical items like lo mein, fried rice, general tso's chicken, etc. What I was not clear about was that the Chinese one most likely will not have those items, and will have different "authentic" dishes on the menu.
So depending on what you look like determines what kind of food they think you should prefer? That's incredibly offensive.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh my god, if you go, please, please, PLEASE have the Chaya noodles. Yeah, sure, I'll be envious but... oh god, I'm drooling again. Let me know if you go!
I think we're going to go - I'll post back about my experience.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
So depending on what you look like determines what kind of food they think you should prefer? That's incredibly offensive.
well, you'll find that at just about every "authentic" Chinese restaurant in Chinatown in Manhattan or Chinatown in Flushing, too. It's not like you can't order from either menu, it's just that you get menus with different items on them depending on if you are Chinese or not.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
I think we're going to go - I'll post back about my experience.
Drooling...

True confession: When I lived in West Hartford, we once traveled THROUGH A SNOWSTORM to New Haven to get their Chaya noodles. (No other Thai restaurant that I've been to makes it. When I've asked, they all say something like, "Oh, that was my comfort food when I was a child." but they don't make it.)

Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
There's plenty of authentic items on Lao's English menu. The things I usually order have no brown sauce and are usually non sweet and very spicy. Never tried their Tso as it seems pointless to order there.I also really like Iron Chef, which just moved to Orange. Interesting Taiwanese, though the place has ZERO atmosphere.

I had pretty good Thai at Jeera, Thai Taste, and Rice Pot in New Haven. Thai Awesome in Hamden. Tried Mai Thai in Orange, and despite great reviews I thought it was just OK. Would rather do Taste of Thai in Milford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut