U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,395 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, im moving to connecticut within a month from ohio for work. I have money down on an apartment in hartford but im worried that ill be in a rough area or too close to one. My job is in west hartford but a drive from middletown wouldnt bother me. I can still back out of my apt in hartford because im starting to suspect that middletown might be a better fit. Some info about me: im white, single, 23, former military, I enjoy nightlife, but its not necessary. I would love to hear some opinions and comparisons between the two cities. Oh and Im trying to rent <1000 dollars a month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 PM

13,231 posts, read 12,228,385 times
Middletown,Windsor, Manchester, East Hartford are alright

Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 AM

20,426 posts, read 25,387,014 times
Where is the apartment?

Old 01-03-2014, 01:05 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,164,197 times
I would look at renting in the city of Hartford to be your last option.

I'd look first right in the town of West Hartford where you will be working. It's lively, has good bars & restaurants , lots to do, great public recreation ( indoor pool, outdoor pools, public golf courses, ice rink ). Many, many young people in the area.

Then I'd look in Newington and Farmington, which are adjacent towns, safe and would get you close enough to West Hartford to go out in the evenings / weekends for entertainment.

Last, I'd check out Middletown. It's smaller in population than West Hartford. It has some good bars and restaurants on a smaller scale in number than West Hartford. It does have tons of safe rentals with lots of young people in the area. It's not that far from West Hartford but you would get heavy traffic at peak commuter hours.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM

11,669 posts, read 16,978,722 times
If it's in the West End of Hartford, you would probably be okay, as others have said. That area is safe, less diverse than the rest of Hartford and rather clean. I would also recommend Middletown over Hartford any day.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 AM

2,692 posts, read 3,242,904 times
Middletown, hands down.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 AM

4,645 posts, read 5,544,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1234 View Post
Hey everyone, im moving to connecticut within a month from ohio for work. I have money down on an apartment in hartford but im worried that ill be in a rough area or too close to one. My job is in west hartford but a drive from middletown wouldnt bother me. I can still back out of my apt in hartford because im starting to suspect that middletown might be a better fit. Some info about me: im white, single, 23, former military, I enjoy nightlife, but its not necessary. I would love to hear some opinions and comparisons between the two cities. Oh and Im trying to rent <1000 dollars a month.
Welcome to Connecticut.

I'd recommend Middletown. Lots of nice restaurants have sprung up over the past 10-15 years and it's become kind of a trendy area for young people.

Parts of Hartford are nice as well, but co-workers might look at you funny if you tell them you live in Hartford due to lingering prejudice by long time residents.

As somebody above stated, look into West Hartford and Newington as well.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM

3,436 posts, read 8,986,907 times
West Hartford and Newington are very suburban, if that's your thing. West Hartford gets lots of love on this board but I think that mostly comes from people with children, to be honest. Middletown, particularly downtown, is very walkable, lots of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, right near Wesleyan University so it skews younger. Without a doubt, I'd pick Middletown. The commute to West Hartford isn't bad at all...depending where exactly you'll be living/working, it is a fairly easy straight shot up Route 9.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:39 AM

33,061 posts, read 52,326,022 times
A lot would depend on where in Hartford the apartment is located and whether you like or mind living in a real urban area. As others noted, the West End is nice. I would also agree that downtown and much of the South End and Soutwest portions of hartford are good. Still it is a large city and it does have typical urban issues even in the better neighborhoods.

Middletown is a small city and has some of these issues as well. But they are on a much smaller scale than Hartford. Plus there are many more nice quiet neighborhoods in Middletown. Still before commiting to an apartment there I would check with us. I recently had a coworker that almost took an apartment in one of the more questionable areas of Middletown until I pointed out the problems there. She was a single female and there was no off street parking and the rent while decent was not much less than better locations. I expressed concern for her nice newer vehicle as well as her safety when coming home late and having to park on the street potentially blocks away. She ended up taking a place in another nearby town. Jay

Old 01-04-2014, 11:24 AM

856 posts, read 1,932,102 times
I found am Middletown a very nice place to live. What I liked best was that if you are renting there and decide to buy there are plenty of nice condo options and you're not learning a new city. Consider that if owning later on is important to you. Most of the available options for owning in west Hartford or Farmington are too expensive for what you get, newington or Middletown would be more affordable for future ownership. What I liked about Middletown is in 30 minutes you can be at the ocean, so if you like working out at the beach this is a cool feature. Its more like an hour from newington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut