Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,949 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking to move from Ohio to CT in the next year with my husband's job. I was wondering if you can give me an idea of what areas would fit our needs....this is what we are hoping to find:

-Want to live preferably within 1 1/2 hours of the Fairfield/New Haven area
-Would like more of a farming community, as we want about 5-10 acres to have a couple cows/horse
-Good schools! We have a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old.
-Want at least a 4 bed 2 bath house (at least 2000sf) w/ 2-car attached garage, and a barn
-Looking for a craftsman type home or something with character
-Would like to spend no more than $600K

Please let me know if you think this is possible and what areas of CT would be most likely to hit all criteria. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
The first thought that came to my mind was Woodbury and Bethlehem...just not sure if you can get 5 or 6 acres. You can definitely get at least 2 acres though

Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Where's the job?

Maybe Durham, Killingworth, Middlefield, Bethany.

Woodbury is nice, but I'm thinking that acreage would be very expensive?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,247 times
I had the same thought. Woodbury. The high school also has an agricultural program.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
90 minutes from Fairfield/New Haven is going to give you most of the state, especially if you're looking at New Haven as the starting point. Also, something that is 90 minutes from New Haven could be 120 minutes, or more, from Fairfield.

That said, Granby and East Granby have good school systems and are probably a bit under an hour from New Haven, and you can get over 4-5 acres there on some properties. My cousin lives there and a neighbor has an alpaca farm.

13 Coppergate Rd, East Granby, CT 06026 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
You could get that in Middlefield, Durham, Killingworth, Haddam. Possibly north Guilford and north Madison. I don't know about that Craftsman styled home, not too much of that in CT as compared to more typical colonials. All have very good school systems.

To stay within an hour and a half to New Haven, but stretching ti a lot to Fairfield , would also put you into the East Haddam, Lyme area where you get a home on that acreage too.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 AM

468 posts, read 708,727 times
Woodbury is a good suggestion--it's, to some degree, a horse community, so you might be able to find a property with existing barn structures. However, the housing stock isn't great.

I like Lyme/Old Lyme. Not a "farm area", but pretty rural and mostly houses on large parcels. About 30 mins from New Haven, an hour to Fairfield (maybe more? haven't driven it in a while). More importantly, there are lots of houses with character (though Craftsman-style houses are pretty rare in Connecticut--you're more likely to find colonials or shingle-styles). Lyme/OL have a pretty strong school system and a very small high school (around 3-400 students).

52-1 Blood St, Lyme, CT 06371 is For Sale - Zillow (1769 farmhouse on 12 acres)
125 Neck Rd, Old Lyme, CT 06371 is For Sale - Zillow (gorgeous 1920s shingle-style on 4.5 acres)

The Haddam/Higganum/Chester area is also probably 1/2 hour from New Haven and pretty rural with pretty good schools and some good housing stock.

65 Walkley Hill Rd, Haddam, CT 06438 is For Sale - Zillow (renovated 1700s house on 3.5 acres)
72 Creek Row, East Haddam, CT 06423 is For Sale - Zillow (Huge newer house with great views on 5 acres)
382 Town St, East Haddam, CT 06423 is For Sale - Zillow (Gorgeous 1700s house on 3.75 acres with a pond)

Old 01-10-2014, 11:29 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Also - Welcome to Connecticut!

Agreed that Lyme/Old Lyme is a good place to look. You might not find craftsman homes, but they do have a lot of uniquely styled & designed homes.

Close by those two towns are also Essex, Chester and Deep River. Essex is one of those towns that are considered a "quintessential" New England town, and Deep River and Chester are right next door. The towns share a good school system, though not quite as good as Lyme/Old Lyme reputation-wise. But, you may get a bit more for your money than Old Lyme/Lyme and you can find homes on 5+ acres there as well.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
You really have the ability to choose what town you'd like to live in, though you won't be able to swing it in Fairfield County for the most part.

Woodbury is a great place to start, mostly due to the high school's vo-ag curriculum. That said, Woodbury is pricey and you definitely cannot get even 5 acres for $600k, unless you don't mind a home that needs some work. Neighboring Bethlehem shares a school district with Woodbury. It is rural and a bit more affordable so if you can't find what you're looking for in Woodbury, consider Bethlehem. Anything south and west of Woodbury is more expensive.

If it were me, I would also look in the Litchfield area (Morris, Goshen, Harwinton, Winchester, Barkhamsted, Litchfield itself). This, IMO, is one of the most picturesque areas of the country.

The Granby area is also another great suggestion.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Also - Welcome to Connecticut!

Agreed that Lyme/Old Lyme is a good place to look. You might not find craftsman homes, but they do have a lot of uniquely styled & designed homes.

Close by those two towns are also Essex, Chester and Deep River. Essex is one of those towns that are considered a "quintessential" New England town, and Deep River and Chester are right next door. The towns share a good school system, though not quite as good as Lyme/Old Lyme reputation-wise. But, you may get a bit more for your money than Old Lyme/Lyme and you can find homes on 5+ acres there as well.
That kind of stretches the need to be within 90 minutes of FFC though...

We really can't give any useful advice without knowing where the job is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut