Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
I have friends who attended high school in Westport who have never even heard of GFA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yeah, OK.

G comes before W.

So, when your "friends" were listening for delays/cancellations, Greens Farms was announced before Westport. Thank You.

#FAIL
Quote:

Most people I know don't listen extremely closely to announcements of snow delays, but we all have our own forms of entertainment!

That's the best explanation you can give? Why did you bother responding? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM

19 posts, read 41,333 times
You are all making me laugh. I think I get the idea. If I do hear from anyone (or see when I visit in a week) that GFA is really a kind, nurturing, thoughtful, inspiring academic institution with innovative ideas that allows primary students to experience childhood without extreme pressure, I will let you know

We are visiting Easton Country Day, Green Farms Academy, Mead School, Unquowa, and New Canaan Country School in a week. Any input is welcomed. Wish me luck-- on so many fronts!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataves View Post
Any input is welcomed.
If you're definitely doing private, consider saving your money and opting for a less expensive town. In Westport, a lot of the purchase price of the house is for the schools.

You might also consider the public schools in Weston. They are smaller, which might help.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Relatives went to Unquowa and had great experiences. Then went to GFA for high school--one ended up institutionalized, both dropped out of college, both attribute the blame, in some part, to the social and academic pressure of GFA. Therefore, my personal experiences with GFA are that it is a pretty toxic environment and the apex of what you're trying to avoid--but I don't know to what extent that trickles down to the elementary school level.

Conversely, one could conclude that Unquowa failed to prepare them for GFA.

Just a thought....

Old 01-15-2014, 04:41 PM

19 posts, read 41,333 times
Thank you! We want to be near the water, and get a more "neighborhood walkable feel" so we are looking all over the place along the coast. Not excited that I will need to drive a ways to get to private schools.

We decided to head toward private because we have consistently heard that the public schools there are "top notch" but super high pressure. I actually heard today that Weston is especially high pressure and not at all good with special needs issues. Sad to me.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataves View Post
Thank you! We want to be near the water, and get a more "neighborhood walkable feel" so we are looking all over the place along the coast. Not excited that I will need to drive a ways to get to private schools.

We decided to head toward private because we have consistently heard that the public schools there are "top notch" but super high pressure. I actually heard today that Weston is especially high pressure and not at all good with special needs issues. Sad to me.
I'm starting to think that maybe Fairfield would be a good fit for you.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:06 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm starting to think that maybe Fairfield would be a good fit for you.
More walkable than most CT towns. Near the water. Good balance of socioeconomics. Great schools that aren't super high pressure. Several private schools nearby. Less expensive than Westport.

Yep, seems like a perfect fit - especially as you said it's your upper limit for going east - I'm assuming working in NYC? I would have said Stratford or Milford if you were willing to go further out.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM

468 posts, read 708,395 times
If you want to be near the water and like walkable, Southport Village is my favorite little hamlet in Fairfield County. Probably close to or as expensive as Westport, though. But you have some stores and galleries, a little grocery/deli, a gorgeous harbor and beach all within a short stroll.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 PM

468 posts, read 708,395 times
I would also agree with the suggestion that Fairfield public schools are going to offer much more socioeconomic diversity (relatively speaking, of course) and less pressure than Westport. Southport is a part of Fairfield. So something else to keep in mind.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 PM

287 posts, read 623,281 times
Quote:
If you want to be near the water and like walkable, Southport Village is my favorite little hamlet in Fairfield County. Probably close to or as expensive as Westport, though. But you have some stores and galleries, a little grocery/deli, a gorgeous harbor and beach all within a short stroll.
I personally think there's no reason for the OP to consider private schools in Westport or any of the surrounding towns. Most people in the area only do private for the status, to be honest. Any of the area privates won't be any less pressure cooker than Staples, and a student can make any school as stressful as they want - it's all about the individual.

I agree that Southport is breathtaking, but it seems on par if not slightly higher in price than comparable areas of Westport, like Greens Farms. There's really no place like Southport in Fairfield County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut