Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NH vs Stamford
New Haven 28 58.33%
Stamford 20 41.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:11 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times

Advertisements

Well since my wife won't let us go to dinner in NH without me taking my gun, I'm going to go with Stamford.

Stamford is one of the cleanest cities I have been to (never been to europe, but I hear they take a lot of pride in the cleanliness of their cities as well). It was the first thing I noticed when I was there--growing up in NY which is pretty grimy overall despite the amount of money it costs to live there, it was a pleasant surprise.

The good food, night light and feeling of safety have always been noticeable when visiting Stamdford.

The only negative I would give stamford is it's location. NH wins for being more centered and thus opens up a lot more living options and future job prospects (living in middle of CT means you can get a job in most of the state and still have an hourish commute.) I would also never consider working in NYC which is an option from Stamford because their tax rate is criminal. But this may not bother some and then Stamford is a huge plus depending on what industry your in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Good thing I brought my gun to Avro last night. Really rough crowd there on Chapel.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Well since my wife won't let us go to dinner in NH without me taking my gun, I'm going to go with Stamford.
I carry almost anywhere, because I realize things happen anywhere, and I think your wife needs to get a grip. You're probably more likely to become a victim of a crime at a Southington gas station than you are on Temple Street in New Haven.

Quote:
Stamford is one of the cleanest cities I have been to (never been to europe, but I hear they take a lot of pride in the cleanliness of their cities as well). It was the first thing I noticed when I was there--growing up in NY which is pretty grimy overall despite the amount of money it costs to live there, it was a pleasant surprise.
LOL, yeah, clearly you've never been to Europe.

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:

The good food, night light and feeling of safety have always been noticeable when visiting Stamdford.

The only negative I would give stamford is it's location. NH wins for being more centered and thus opens up a lot more living options and future job prospects (living in middle of CT means you can get a job in most of the state and still have an hourish commute.) I would also never consider working in NYC which is an option from Stamford because their tax rate is criminal. But this may not bother some and then Stamford is a huge plus depending on what industry your in.
You do realize that if you live in CT but work in NYC you don't pay the insane NY taxes. You do pay income taxes to NY but only at the maximum rate of your resident state. You aren't double taxed either due to tax treaties between NY Nj and CT. You pay the same taxes living in CT and working in Stamford as you do living in Ct and working in midtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Good thing I brought my gun to Avro last night. Really rough crowd there on Chapel.
Until the crackhead waiting in the parking garage tries to slice you for his next fix...

If anything ever happened to my wife because of either my complacency or false glorified sense of security in a city plagued with violence I would never stop blaming myself. Mine (and her) choice, although we feel more "compelled" when in NH.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Until the crackhead waiting in the parking garage tries to slice you for his next fix...

If anything ever happened to my wife because of either my complacency or false glorified sense of security in a city plagued with violence I would never stop blaming myself. Mine (and her) choice, although we feel more "compelled" when in NH.
You sound abit paranoid....I don't carry anything and have never felt threatened in any urban area. Just use common sense and you'll be alright.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I carry almost anywhere, because I realize things happen anywhere, and I think your wife needs to get a grip. You're probably more likely to become a victim of a crime at a Southington gas station than you are on Temple Street in New Haven.

LOL, yeah, clearly you've never been to Europe.

I absolutely disagree. And in either case, we are comparing Stamford to NH, not NH to Southington. The only reason Temple is safe is because NH has 8 cruisers circling a one mile radius plus at least 2 or 3 pairs of police officers on foot patrol walking around that area at night.

While I applaud the effort, Southington (and as far as I have noticed in Stamford) do not require that type of police presence just so people can eat dinner in peace.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 02-08-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
I absolutely disagree. And in either case, we are comparing Stamford to NH, not NH to Southington. The only reason Temple is safe is because NH has 8 cruisers circling a one mile radius plus at least 2 or 3 pairs of police officers on foot patrol walking around that area at night.

While I applaud the effort, Southington (and as far as I have noticed in Stamford) do not require that type of police presence just so people can eat dinner in peace.
They have foot patrols and police cars patrolling in the safest NYC neighborhoods....that doesn't really mean anything. Its the standard for most cities...I guess you don't travel much.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
New Haven has best nightlife in CT

Last edited by JayCT; 02-08-2014 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 02-08-2014, 08:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
when I lived in Stamford years back i enjoyed New Haven.. Museums. Cafes, bookstores, music... Plus the architecture is interesting. I spent time in both cities and both have improved greatly. For me its a tough call. I dont feel unsafe in either, but then again i dont go to the dodgy areas that exist in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut