Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 5,899 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiancée was just accepted into the PA program at Quinnipiac and will be starting school on May 19th. I am fortunate enough to be able to transfer for my work and will be working on Church street in New Haven. The question is around where to live? We are looking for something central to the two places. She values easy access to the school, but I would like to be closer to the city. Safety is very important, however. Your best thoughts will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 PM

316 posts, read 724,124 times
I'd maybe think about the East Rock neighborhood or perhaps the Orange Street area in New Haven. The latter is more likely to have a greater array of apartments. Many Yale graduate students live in that area. It's quiet and generally quite safe, and it has a calm neighborhood feel to it.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,899 times
Thank you. Do you know what the average travel time to Quinnipiac will be during rush hour? It looks like she would need to jump on the highway each morning.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
I'd maybe think about the East Rock neighborhood or perhaps the Orange Street area in New Haven. The latter is more likely to have a greater array of apartments. Many Yale graduate students live in that area. It's quiet and generally quite safe, and it has a calm neighborhood feel to it.
Most of Orange Street goes through East Rock.

But I would agree with this recommendation. The further south you go in East Rock, the more urban generally. All of East Rock is very nice and safe.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtdawg View Post
Thank you. Do you know what the average travel time to Quinnipiac will be during rush hour? It looks like she would need to jump on the highway each morning.
~15 minutes. No traffic usually.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 PM

From the Orange Street area, you could take 91, which would probably be a few minutes faster than going straight up Whitney Ave, though the latter is definitely more direct. I'm guessing 15-20 or so, but I don't know about the effects of rush hour. Really you're heading away from New Haven, so I can't imagine it would be too bad.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Most of Orange Street goes through East Rock.

But I would agree with this recommendation. The further south you go in East Rock, the more urban generally. All of East Rock is very nice and safe.
True that. I always thought of that area as having two different sub-neighborhoods within it; north of Edwards Street it has a more suburban, leafy feel to it, where as south of there it's more oriented toward students and younger people. That said, it has been some time since I lived in New Haven, and this division could be all in my head!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
ProfesseurPablo gave you good options. To those two, I'd add in the Whitneyville section of Hamden, particularly the eastern/ north eastern portion of Whitneyville. This neighborhood borders the New Haven areas noted previously.

Southwest Whitneyville borders a dreadful area of New Haven but anything north/ northeast of Albertus Magnus College would be fine. Google maps will delineate the area.

As noted, lots of professionals, grad students/ university students in the area.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
PM me if you wanna chat about QU. I live in Wallingford and have a 5 minute commute to QU and it's only 15 minutes tops to New Haven. Plus you benefit from cheaper utilities, taxes, and really good services, shopping, and dining. Hamden to me is nothing but a mess with horrible traffic on its main drags and a really high tax rate for what you get. Not to say there are not nice homes or areas but it was on my list of towns to avoid when moving.

I say it all the time but look into North Haven or Wallingford for the move.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtdawg View Post
Hello,

My fiancée was just accepted into the PA program at Quinnipiac and will be starting school on May 19th. I am fortunate enough to be able to transfer for my work and will be working on Church street in New Haven. The question is around where to live? We are looking for something central to the two places. She values easy access to the school, but I would like to be closer to the city. Safety is very important, however. Your best thoughts will be appreciated.
Congrats to your fiancee and welcome to Connecticut.

The towns in CT are usually smaller area-wise than in many areas of the country, so living one or two towns over doesn't mean you're going to have a monster commute. Several towns would offer a very short commute to Quinnipiac.

I agree with clutchrider above - look at Wallingford & North Haven as well as Hamden and New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut