Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times

Advertisements

We use the level billing option offered by our oil company and pay $175/month year round. We're on automatic delivery, so I'm honestly not keeping track of our usage or deliveries. For me, this system works -- it's convenient and easy and I don't really need to think about it. It does kind of stink though when you're making heating bill payments in the middle of Summer when it's 103 degrees out. Lol! Our house is just under 3000 sf and we have a new boiler. @ FromCTtoFL -- wow!! 1k/month during the entire heating season?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 PM

499 posts, read 586,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
We use the level billing option offered by our oil company and pay $175/month year round. We're on automatic delivery, so I'm honestly not keeping track of our usage or deliveries. For me, this system works -- it's convenient and easy and I don't really need to think about it. It does kind of stink though when you're making heating bill payments in the middle of Summer when it's 103 degrees out. Lol! Our house is just under 3000 sf and we have a new boiler. @ FromCTtoFL -- wow!! 1k/month during the entire heating season?!!
I hope it won't stay that high, but with a new baby and these arctic temps, it seems like the heat is cycling constantly. Of course, we've never kept the thermostat at 70 degrees on both floors 24/7. Like the commercial says, "Having a baby changes EVERYTHING"

Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I hope it won't stay that high, but with a new baby and these arctic temps, it seems like the heat is cycling constantly. Of course, we've never kept the thermostat at 70 degrees on both floors 24/7. Like the commercial says, "Having a baby changes EVERYTHING"
Are the ducts/vents you can close in rooms the baby isn't in? Or, maybe putting a space heater in the baby's room? Some of them, like that Dyson Hot & Cool fan are pretty safe.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:57 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Used to use 600 gallons/year before installing a wood stove insert, now using 300 gallons/year
Ugh, I need one! Our main floor has high ceilings (like 20 ft) and a lofted 2nd floor landing that goes to the bedrooms so it would heat the upstairs too. If I saved 50% on oil, at this rate, it would pay for itself in one winter season. Looks like I'm dragging the misses to the fireplace store later.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublekk View Post
It seems like the heat is kicking on every few minutes then off... maybe our insulation is not great?
When temps are in the single digits and teens the inside of the house wont stay a toasty 60s for long after it shuts off new insulation or not. But obviously it helps. How old is the home and was the insulation/walls ever replaced?

Watch when the temps go into the 20s and 30s you'll notice it wont kick on as much. These temps while the normal thing for points north of us, we don't get them often.

Just imagine before we had better insulation, windows, & doors.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:50 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Ugh, I need one! Our main floor has high ceilings (like 20 ft) and a lofted 2nd floor landing that goes to the bedrooms so it would heat the upstairs too. If I saved 50% on oil, at this rate, it would pay for itself in one winter season. Looks like I'm dragging the misses to the fireplace store later.
Installed a wood insert back in July when I bought my house. Previous owner's used around 900 gallons a year. So far I have used 75-100 gallons this winter. With these cold temps my furnace may run an hour or two a day if that. Mainly late at night and just when I come home from work. When its 20's and 30's I don't use any oil. All I do is load it up in the morning, when I come home from work, and when I go to bed. It's already pretty much paid for itself in oil savings this winter.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
I'm curious what others are paying a month or year for oil. Doesn't have to be just heat, oil is used for hot water as well.

Think about that next time you wash 3 loads of laundry in warm or hot water. Try washing in cold water only and see if notice a difference after a month.

I'll probably need a fill in March. It's been since February 2013 since I got an oil delivery.

So I'm spending $600-800 a year on oil. No nat gas or electric heat used..

Old 02-02-2014, 03:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
I'm spending $2100/year on oil, for heat and hot water.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM

53 posts, read 162,108 times
Did auto delivery and 115 a month all year in 2011 then switched to on call because i could cut the bill down by 40 percent by just keeping an eye on it, topping off in July helps too. Now they badger me twice a month to go back

This year will pay about 750 for oil vs 1300

Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM

276 posts, read 588,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
It costs us around $1000/ month. It makes me sick just typing that number. We have an infant daughter and are now keeping the house at 70 degrees, 24 hours/day, first floor and second floor (living area on main floor, bedrooms on 2nd floor, baby naps upstairs 2x/day). House is too darn big, cathedral ceilings, skylights, lots of glass - time for us to move to warmer climate.
I'm at around $600 to $700/month in the winter. 2,500 sq ft home. Good insulation and new windows. 68 to 70 during the day on at least 1 floor, and 69 upstairs/55 downstairs at night. We also have a baby hence the higher temps than I would otherwise normally do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut