Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 04:20 PM

33 posts, read 177,990 times

Advertisements

I did a search on Bristol on Realtor.com and saw 188 houses under 200,000

I live in north Jersey and cant even sniff a house for that anymore. Can someone please tell me what Bristol is like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 05:47 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
A dump. There is almost no culture, all chain stores and the taxes are high. I believe that Kieth Oberman, while on ESPN, referred to it as 'the armpit of America."

Old 10-23-2006, 06:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
I have to agree, a good portion of Bristol is dumpy. As a rule of thumb, if towns are dirt cheap in Connecticut, there is a reason for it.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:37 PM

439 posts, read 721,417 times
Bristol is not a very attractive town-period.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:15 PM

119 posts, read 705,825 times
There is nothing redeeming about the city of Bristol.....I live here and am gettin out. It's sort of depressing driving in from a long day of work. I like the neighborhood I'm in and I think it's pretty where I live, however....that's about it. The sidewalks are made of asphalt and are filled with sand. And this is the kind of thing you have to look at upon entry to the city from Route 72. There's no good way in and certainly no good way out. It has no good restaurants or any good stores to shop in. High taxes...yadda yadda yadda. I can't stand it here.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM

100 posts, read 381,475 times
anything under $200K in CT you must wonder what the area is like.
Bristol would not be tops on my list of places to live.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 PM

13 posts, read 125,568 times
All the above posts pretty much say it all. There are very few nice areas in Bristol. It's pretty much a pain to get too during rush hours.It is filled with nothing but chain stores and restaurants. It doesn't seem to have it's own identity.
There are so many other towns I'd rather live in. If the housing is on the cheaper side, then keep looking. It's worth paying more for a home and having the comfort of knowing you are in a nice town.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:37 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Default Bristol under $200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
I did a search on Bristol on Realtor.com and saw 188 houses under 200,000

I live in north Jersey and cant even sniff a house for that anymore. Can someone please tell me what Bristol is like?
Hi Maharg,

Bristol is your typical urbanized area of about 60,000 residents. It is home to ESPN on its southside. It also has an amusement park (Lake Compounce). The northside, with an increasing amount of retail, can be challenging during peak commuter hours.

As mentioned in other posts, Bristol does have high-end properties, namely near Cedar Lake where prices are over $500,000. I have friends and family in Bristol who are very happy there.

Lately, the city has implemented some beautification programs. The main drag, near the Bristol Centre Mall, is one.

Prices are higher for Southington, Bristol's neighbor to the south. However, they're about the same for Plainville (to the east) and Plymouth (to the west).

Rich
Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Last edited by Marka; 11-02-2006 at 01:35 AM..

Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 PM

119 posts, read 705,825 times
Yes, The downtown area (No. Main Street) has improved its looks with nice new side walks, brick-layed cross walks, new vintage looking street lamps. I just hope they continue what they've done downtown EVERYWHERE. It would be nice to see Rte 72 get extended to the center of town at some point in our lifetime. They keep talking about it but it would be a huge improvement to the city both aesthetically and functionally. If they're not going to go through with it at minimum they should put nice sidewalks down on Pine Street and making the street look more inviting to outsiders coming in. It's really crappy looking in my opinion! I'm sooooo glad they finally got hold of some of the property on South Street by knocking some of the shady looking buildings and replacing them with a brand new Walgreens (coming soon). This city could have a lot of potential. It just doesn't seem that way right now.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:57 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious in CT View Post
Yes, The downtown area (No. Main Street) has improved its looks with nice new side walks, brick-layed cross walks, new vintage looking street lamps. I just hope they continue what they've done downtown EVERYWHERE. It would be nice to see Rte 72 get extended to the center of town at some point in our lifetime. They keep talking about it but it would be a huge improvement to the city both aesthetically and functionally. If they're not going to go through with it at minimum they should put nice sidewalks down on Pine Street and making the street look more inviting to outsiders coming in. It's really crappy looking in my opinion! I'm sooooo glad they finally got hold of some of the property on South Street by knocking some of the shady looking buildings and replacing them with a brand new Walgreens (coming soon). This city could have a lot of potential. It just doesn't seem that way right now.
I think you'd agree that it was worse about 5 or 10 years ago. The public housing had its share of problems. As a real estate agent, I can think of a lot of other towns that concern me more although the shootings this summer one block away from the Police station were unsettling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut