Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 AM
 
4 posts, read 9,837 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Connecticut from California. My husband will work in Bridgeport (7am to 5-6pm) and i eill be working in Hartford (7am -6pm). Where is the best place to live in between that is family friendly (we have 2 toddlers) and has low crime rates? I will be willing to take the furthest commute if needed (up to 45 min one way). Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 AM
 
8,777 posts, read 19,755,676 times
Reputation: 5290
Buying? Renting? Budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
21,489 posts, read 27,723,916 times
Reputation: 6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Buying? Renting? Budget?
X2. Plus any other preferences. Urban, suburban, rural, coastal, wooded, quiet, lively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
6,981 posts, read 10,883,620 times
Reputation: 8818
I'll just stick out my neck and say Wallingford. My nephew lives there now and it seems like a nice town. And it's about in the middle of Bridgeport and Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 02:09 PM
 
8,777 posts, read 19,755,676 times
Reputation: 5290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'll just stick out my neck and say Wallingford. My nephew lives there now and it seems like a nice town. And it's about in the middle of Bridgeport and Hartford.
Yeah, Wally and North Haven would seem like the best spots. But, we still need more info from the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM
 
3,430 posts, read 3,902,781 times
Reputation: 1731
Cheshire and Southington too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM
 
4,712 posts, read 5,915,093 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTnewby View Post
My family is relocating to Connecticut from California. My husband will work in Bridgeport (7am to 5-6pm) and i eill be working in Hartford (7am -6pm). Where is the best place to live in between that is family friendly (we have 2 toddlers) and has low crime rates? I will be willing to take the furthest commute if needed (up to 45 min one way). Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!!!
Welcome to Connecticut!!

An odd possibility - Burlington or Harwinton. Good schools (they share a school system), very safe environment, and an easy drive to Hartford. And, pretty easy access to amenities in Farmington/Unionville, Avon and Torrington.

To Bridgeport, from Burlington or Harwinton, you go up Route 4 West until you get to Route 8 and you have an easy drive south into Bridgeport. I commuted for a while from Avon to Fairfield, which is 10-20 minutes longer than driving from Burlington to Bridgeport. My drive was usually 60-70 minutes, so I would imagine the drive would be 45-50 minutes from Burlington or Harwinton to Bridgeport. (google maps has it as 55 minutes from Burlington and 48 from Harwinton, but Route 8 is usually pretty empty until you hit Shelton, so it's easy to go 70-80 or higher there...and there likely won't even be a lot of traffic if you're going to the office for 7am in Bridgeport)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
21,489 posts, read 27,723,916 times
Reputation: 6659
Without knowing budget, I'd throw Orange/Woodbridge into the mix. 40 minutes to Hartford without traffic, and traffic on 91 isn't too horrible. 20-25 minutes to Bridgeport, maybe 30 if traffic is bad.

Excellent schools (among the top ranked in the state), convenient to shopping, beaches, New Haven, etc.

They are more expensive than Wallingford and North Haven though.

I would not recommend Cheshire unless you can live near the highway. I find that town very inconvenient to get to highways from, and it might be a frustrating commute to Bridgeport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
21,489 posts, read 27,723,916 times
Reputation: 6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Welcome to Connecticut!!

An odd possibility - Burlington or Harwinton. Good schools (they share a school system), very safe environment, and an easy drive to Hartford. And, pretty easy access to amenities in Farmington/Unionville, Avon and Torrington.

To Bridgeport, from Burlington or Harwinton, you go up Route 4 West until you get to Route 8 and you have an easy drive south into Bridgeport. I commuted for a while from Avon to Fairfield, which is 10-20 minutes longer than driving from Burlington to Bridgeport. My drive was usually 60-70 minutes, so I would imagine the drive would be 45-50 minutes from Burlington or Harwinton to Bridgeport. (google maps has it as 55 minutes from Burlington and 48 from Harwinton, but Route 8 is usually pretty empty until you hit Shelton, so it's easy to go 70-80 or higher there...and there likely won't even be a lot of traffic if you're going to the office for 7am in Bridgeport)
Plenty nice towns, but it's a very long drive to Bridgeport. Almost 60 miles. Up to the OP I suppose, but it sounds like they'd prefer to be closer to Bridgeport vs. Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 02:51 PM
 
4,712 posts, read 5,915,093 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Plenty nice towns, but it's a very long drive to Bridgeport. Almost 60 miles. Up to the OP I suppose, but it sounds like they'd prefer to be closer to Bridgeport vs. Hartford.
no traffic, though, and an easy drive. 54 miles from Burlington and less from Harwinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top