Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM

186 posts, read 310,554 times

Advertisements

The Danbury mall was never built

New haven never had Yale university

all the corporations moved out of Stanford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,401,283 times
if there were no liberals....

Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 PM

WHats the deal with the Danbury mall? curious why that's on the list.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,465,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyfrompluto View Post

Havent been to the Danbury Mall in over 10 years and dont miss malls in general.

Havent been to Yale in a couple years. Only go to the New Haven in general a couple times a year.

Almost never have reason to go anywhere near the SW corner part of 95 so never go to Stanford.

I personally wouldnt even notice all three listed. Nothing against any of the three really. I just get my fill of urban enviroments when I travel for work so when Im home Im not seeking them out.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Havent been to the Danbury Mall in over 10 years and dont miss malls in general.

Havent been to Yale in a couple years. Only go to the New Haven in general a couple times a year.

Almost never have reason to go anywhere near the SW corner part of 95 so never go to Stanford.

I personally wouldnt even notice all three listed. Nothing against any of the three really. I just get my fill of urban enviroments when I travel for work so when Im home Im not seeking them out.
I think he meant the hypothetical impact it would have on the state. Not personally.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 PM

21,467 posts, read 27,712,350 times
Very random thread from a worryingly prolific thread creator.

To answer your hypotheticals:

Downtown Danbury wouldn't be a ghost town, but Danbury might have less of a regional draw.

New Haven would be more like Bridgeport.

You mean like, moved out of Stamford tomorrow? It's almost too wild of a hypothetical to consider, but the town and region around it would suffer greatly.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:03 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,201,650 times
This seems silly, but I'll play: I think Danbury without the mall would still for the most part be....Danbury. Don't get me wrong -- it's nice and all, but I wouldn't consider it a defining institution at all. Danbury is a solid mix of a working thru upper middle class population, with a heavy sprinkling of illegal residents. The working class group I would imagine would be most adversely affected by this hypothetical scenario; and the middle and upper middle class groups would suffer least (*but these groups would suffer accutely under your third doomsday scenario (i.e no business base in Stamford)). Life might be less fun without a local mall to shop in on Saturdays for middle and upper middle class groups, but it wouldn't be a game changer.
Yale has been in New Haven pretty much since the pilgrims first set foot on Plymouth Rock -- well 80 years after -- so that's just silly to imagine, and so I won't...
Stamford loosing its corporate base would be a game changer for the entire region -- fairfield, westchester, and new haven counties all included.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,459,855 times
I don't think the Danbury mall is much more of an impact on the state than any other shopping area like West Farms. I would say it could impact Danbury as a town but not the state as a whole.

If the corps moved out of Stamford they would have most likely find another city in CT to congregate in, possibly Norwalk or Bridgeport. Mostly because other towns would have jumped to offer those companies incentives and our gubment would have stepped in to keep them in the state. The only other options for them since being close to NYC is a big perk of their locale would be upstate NY or NJ. Both of which are more expensive and have less options to get to the city easily.

Yale...just a dumb one because your now going back over 300 years when the entire region was still very undeveloped and we were not even a country yet. So I would just venture a guess and say some other institution would have rooted here and things would be similar to the way they are today.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,794,503 times
The more important question is: "what if Connecticut had the same weather as San Diego?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyfrompluto View Post

Old 01-29-2014, 01:20 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,465,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
The more important question is: "what if Connecticut had the same weather as San Diego?"
Id have to move because itd be overcrowed... lol

Id be in heaven with the weather and without the overcrowding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut