Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 AM

8 posts, read 8,249 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We recently bought a house which was built in 1952. We were told that the house is connected to city sewer. Seller lived there for 8 years. Last week we had sewer blockage (after 3 months) called roto rooter guys and we are informed that our connection ends in a cesspool, not connected to sewer. so we went to city hall to get the information that it is connected to a a sewer.( it connected in 1974) They had provided with all sketches. Now to connect to a sewer we got quote as 15K and almost spent nearly 5K for finding out this things( snaking, camera, digging etc..). Can anyone please let me know do we have case against seller or city??

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
I am not a lawyer, but most verbal agreements are ones of faith. Unless the paperwork you signed at closing makes any reference to what your asking, I don't imagine you have a strong case. JMO.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
I am not a lawyer. In a situation like this I would contact my Real Estate agent first and ask their advice. I would also contact the attorney I used for closing if I had one.

One thing you may do in the meantime is try to collect data from the town hall regarding the water and sewer. You can also try collecting data from the water company. Ask them if there were repairs made at the house before, for example.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I am not a lawyer. In a situation like this I would contact my Real Estate agent first and ask their advice. I would also contact the attorney I used for closing if I had one.

One thing you may do in the meantime is try to collect data from the town hall regarding the water and sewer. You can also try collecting data from the water company. Ask them if there were repairs made at the house before, for example.
This ^^^ first thing they should want to do is look at all the written disclosures required in Ct. If its checked "unknown" good luck though. Sounds like you already know there was something in writing pointing you that way though. Ct disclosures give you a "yes", "no", or "uknown" on almost every item. Unknown can be some owners/sellers most popular choice as it takes away any implied warranty claims.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM

During inspection we have noticed a slow draingae ( not much) and asked the seller to clear that and she had replied that she couldnt find anything and agreed that she will address if that occures.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:42 AM

I have checked the disclosure and for the question 'is there any draingae issue she mentioned 'No". For the questions like type of draingae (Sewer/ septic/ cesspool) she didnt answer. And we had noticed a very slow drainage and when we asked about that she said there is nothing and she will adress that if anything arise.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Accepting a non answered question on the disclosure usually means pretty much everyone involved did not do a very good job at their due diligence. Sellers agent, buyers agent and the buyer themselves. Just like pretty much everything else in life if its not in writing, it doesnt exist.

On the face of it only so far it seems the seller was the only one on the ball. Was this a rushed purchase?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:01 PM

We were first time home buyers and from another country. Didnt know much about real estate laws here. We had an agent and a real estate lawyer too. It was kind of a rushed purchase and those people were moving to another state.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Is there any chance that one can use a septic pool without pumping for almost 9 years? The original owners sold the house to our sellers in 2006. If they didnt know about the septic, that means they never pumped. Its size is 750 gallon.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM

but they have advertised it as sewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut