U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,223,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Just cut cable and do streaming. Get an HD antenna for free network stations and never look back.

Cable sucks, I don't miss it at all.
Cable doesn't suck at all. Overpriced yes, but definitely doesn't suck, I'm sorry, but you can't compare having full cable with a hd dvr(the best thing ever invented) and a large screen high def television that you can surf hundreds of channels.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 01:08 PM

691 posts, read 1,089,621 times
I'd love to 'cut the cord' myself.

Have seen an antenna on Amazon called "Mohu Leaf" that supposedly can get the free HD stations from 30-50 miles away. So this should be able to get me the local stations from Hartford 20 miles or so away.

However, the primary reservation I have in doing so is missing out on Sportscenter. While I don't follow sports to nearly the extent I'm used to, beginning the day with breakfast and sportscenter has been my daily ritual as long as I can remember.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 7,038 times
Is the antenna one you place on the roof? If so, who does that? In order to use an antenna do I need a new tv?
Are there any recommendations for any cable companies?
Trsh

Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 PM

20,426 posts, read 25,392,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Cable doesn't suck at all. Overpriced yes, but definitely doesn't suck, I'm sorry, but you can't compare having full cable with a hd dvr(the best thing ever invented) and a large screen high def television that you can surf hundreds of channels.
I maintain that it sucks. So many channels and barely anything quality to watch. If you're into sports, I guess it's good to have cable. But I don't miss flipping through hundreds of channels and seeing garbage show after garbage show.

As far as original shows, I can count the good stations on one hand: FX, AMC, HBO. Maybe a couple others.

I can now subscribe to the shows I want to watch and see new episodes, and lots of content is on Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon. It's really no different than having a DVR, and it's still way cheaper.

The only thing I miss is HBO.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I maintain that it sucks. So many channels and barely anything quality to watch. If you're into sports, I guess it's good to have cable. But I don't miss flipping through hundreds of channels and seeing garbage show after garbage show.

As far as original shows, I can count the good stations on one hand: FX, AMC, HBO. Maybe a couple others.

I can now subscribe to the shows I want to watch and see new episodes, and lots of content is on Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon. It's really no different than having a DVR, and it's still way cheaper.

The only thing I miss is HBO.
Yeah, but who wants to watch tv on a computer screen. I have a really nice couch/recliner and 50 inch hd. Sitting at a computer screen watching tv doesn't replace that for me.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 11,587,243 times
Quote:
Yeah, but who wants to watch tv on a computer screen. I have a really nice couch/recliner and 50 inch hd. Sitting at a computer screen watching tv doesn't replace that for me.
Look into a Chromecast. You're movies and tv shows stream directly to your TV in HD. $35

Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Look into a Chromecast. You're movies and tv shows stream directly to your TV in HD. $35
Yeah....streaming means stoppages waiting for the bar to catch up/not as high quality. I know that from watching videos on the internet. Sorry, give me my home theater set up any day over some dinky watching tv over the internet. Sort of like people and their ipads. Give me a desktop. Nothing beats it for it's use.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Roku Streaming Player
Chromecast
Apple - Apple TV - HD iTunes content and more on your TV.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah....streaming means stoppages waiting for the bar to catch up/not as high quality. I know that from watching videos on the internet. Sorry, give me my home theater set up any day over some dinky watching tv over the internet. Sort of like people and their ipads. Give me a desktop. Nothing beats it for it's use.
I have Optimum Turbo Boost and I get full 1080P quality with no hiccups in playback. I've done as many as 3 TV's simultaneously with no issues. In fact, I can even stream 3D content.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:23 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,616,715 times
Quote:
AppleTV. 1080p streaming, no stoppages, no buffering and all on your big screen TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut