Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,091 times

Advertisements

Do your property taxes go up if you renovate your kitchen or baths if you live in Ridgefield or Danbury? if so, what is the process and is there anyway to predict how much they would go up? What can you do to the inside of your home that would not require a tax increase. I have tried to look at the property tax guidelines on the town pages, but I can't make sense of them. I appreciate any advice on the topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 AM

23 posts, read 24,715 times
Any time you pull a permit there is a very good chance the scumbags will raise your propery taxes..............

Just keep to yourself and be quiet so they dont see you!

Out of site out of mind.......

If you think your taxes are on the high side then consider protesting them.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:42 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,955,909 times
agreed with the above - if you quietly replace your appliances, countertops & cabinets, most people won't care. However, if you do a big blowout and expand your kitchen and completely re-do it, then you'll probably need to get permits and your taxes would go up.

The mill rate in Ridgefield is 25.38 and in Danbury, it's 26.8. So, a $50,000 kitchen expansion & remodel would have an effect on your taxes, but it also depends on how much the overall value of the home is increased. (The tax is based on the assessed value of the house, which is 70% of the actual value.)

Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrupsidedown View Post
Any time you pull a permit there is a very good chance the scumbags will raise your propery taxes..............

Just keep to yourself and be quiet so they dont see you!

Out of site out of mind.......

If you think your taxes are on the high side then consider protesting them.
Any reputable contractor will pull permits for the work they do. You do not have to do that to replace appliances or countertops but if you start making major changes you should get permits. Usually this will only have a minor impact on taxes. If you add square footage to your home however, you will see a noticable increase in taxes. Jay

Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,091 times
thanks! so basically if I redo a bathroom or kitchen (but keep the square footage of the bath or kitchen the same), most likely my contractor will pull a permit but the increase will not be that much. I figured if I added any extensions then it would be a noticeable difference, just wasn't sure what would happen if I updated my kitchen and baths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut