Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM

53 posts, read 162,037 times

Advertisements

Just wanna see what attitudes are from managers and employees alike.
I call in when roads are bad enough and my bosses are usually more than understanding
they don't discipline for weather related absences and in fact have often cancelled the shift
knowing there was a big one on the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
It varies with the company and industry from my experience......

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM

163 posts, read 240,475 times
Well, I work from home, but already have the day off tomorrow by coincidence.

I would not hesitate to call out when I did commute, if I felt unsafe. That has only happened once though. I have AWD and take my time. That's the key. I'll be late if needed, but my manager would rather me late and alive.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
It really depends upon how crucial the work is. Can you imagine hospital medical staff calling out when it snows? Is it crucial for a filing clerk (if such a thing still exists) to risk driving in through a blizzard?

Just remember, your life, and your value to your loved ones and dependents, is far more worthwhile than ANY work. In situations such as tonight's expected storm, people who absolutely have to be at their workplace tomorrow should plan on sleeping there tonight.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
I have the ability to work from home if I don't think I can get into work. I only have a 5 minute drive in but that 5 minutes includes a good amount of hills and a narrow windy road, meaning it is usually the last to get plowed or cleared up. Even this morning it was still a crap shoot to get in.

My wife on the other hand is in the medical field and her office rarely closes, but they have the no penalty policy where if you feel unsafe driving then you don't come in, no repercussions. However she has a Jeep Liberty and has no issues getting home and sees more nasty driving than I do, which is unfortunate cause I love driving in the snow. She does let me drive when we go out together in the weather though cause she knows I'm like a kid.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 AM

302 posts, read 295,567 times
I have a job that whenever it snows, I just work from home. Unfortunately not everyone has that ability.....and if you do, sometimes it's something you have to earn (knowing they can trust you to actually work).

Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
It really depends on industry. Obviously if you are hospital staff, fire department, police, paramedic, etc. you can't call out.

My office (hard sciences but we aren't saving lives) frowns upon the panicked people who call out for 1 or 2 inches of snow, and let's be honest...we probably all know those types that get really scared when the first flake flies. It's New England, suck it up. For bigger storms, the general idea is "come in if you can but we won't hold it against you if you stay home and use PTO/vacation time". The only time my office officially closes if is the state closes the highway/asks people to stay off the roads.

I generally go in (I have a Subaru) unless the roads are really treacherous, which to me means ice in any capacity or a high enough snowfall rate where the plows can't keep up. I don't mind driving in the snow, as usually all of the Nervous Nellies are off the road so traffic is light and generally the people out and about know what they are doing. I also know my limits and if a foot is going to fall during the day, I am not going to go to the office and have to wonder if I'll get home.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 AM

53 posts, read 162,037 times
I work in a warehouse/distribution center so no essential status for me,
however the work at home option is also out of the question as i have to
physically be there to pick, pack and ship out items to 215 stores in 4 states.

What i wouldn't give for an office/email the boss 4 times a day kind of job

Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
I wouldn't hesitate to call out for anything in the 6-8'' range or more, but usually our office (I work for an insurance company) will open late, close early, or cancel all together if it its forecast to snow that much.

That being said, I would not hesitate in the least to call out if I didn't feel safe driving, )but it'd have to be pretty bad for that to happen). I look at it this way: if an employer were to terminate me for not showing up under these circumstances, when I have a history of a solid attendance record, they they are NOT someone I want to work for anyway in the first place.

Really no difference between calling out due to 8+'' of snow, versus calling out sick when running a 103 fever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It really depends upon how crucial the work is. Can you imagine hospital medical staff calling out when it snows? Is it crucial for a filing clerk (if such a thing still exists) to risk driving in through a blizzard?

Just remember, your life, and your value to your loved ones and dependents, is far more worthwhile than ANY work. In situations such as tonight's expected storm, people who absolutely have to be at their workplace tomorrow should plan on sleeping there tonight.

In that case, if the hospital mgmt had half a brain, they would pay for the "essential" employees to spend the night in a hotel within walking distance (if available).

If they are that essential, that is the least they deserve!!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,630 times
Matters on the job. I work for a very large auto group. My place will almost never close for weather. My direct boss is very cool and also commutes an hour like I do so he understands. I can pretty much call out for snow with no issues....though I dont take advantage. I only call out if its a major event since I drive an hour to and from work. Now.....the actual owners of the place(who are either home or in their corporate office and are out of touch with the employees) make the closing decisions. Two weeks ago when it snowed bad on a Tuesday, they said we could close early......at 5:00 pm when we close at 6:00.......by then it was awful out and it should have closed mid day.
For the blizzard last February they kept the place open.......for Hurricane Sandy they stayed open...though I stayed home those days.....You get the idea....
I always go with safety and family first. My attitude is that is just a job.......
Again, it really depends on your employer and what you do. I have a great boss......just not the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut