Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I can relate to this-- This is how I felt in Texas. You should go.

Since I have been back here-- 4.5 years now, I haven't looked back.
Sorry, but most people can't relate to someone who makes six figures and has an easy time affording to live in Westport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sorry, but most people can't relate to someone who makes six figures and has an easy time affording to live in Westport.
Ouch. However six figures is a wide range, My wife and I combined are in the lower 6 figures. For our age (mid 20's) we are doing okay, but anywhere else in the country we would be doing well.

Anyway, I think his point is that he was living in a place where he was generally unhappy and in need of change and when he left he never looked back. This sentiment extends to people living here who feel the same way: pull the trigger and leave, you only have one life.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Some people have trouble relating to people who are happy.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
This sentiment extends to people living here who feel the same way: pull the trigger and leave, you only have one life.
Exactly.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 AM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Hey now, I make six figures and I can't afford Westport.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 AM

468 posts, read 708,395 times
You guys all realize that the list is a joke, right?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
This state is just very stale, there is nothing new, no plans to grow this state, its just blah!
This is not directed at you but is a summation of my personal observation from the boards and organizations that I have previously and currently serve on.

A lot of people make statements and talk and complain about lack of sports teams, business growth, entertainment venues, interesting walkable downtowns, things to attract the youth, etc.. But, what have those who complain actually done about trying to help find a solution? Many of the ideas that are explored and generated are largely by older (often retired), educated people involved in organizations that support their cause. Their perspective is based upon their interests and personal experience. The membership is often small and very few young people are involved at all. There is generally a lack of economic, age and general diversity overall.

It's not enough to just expect elected officials to solve society's problems because in most cases the majority of the people who contact them are large organizations, corporations, and lobbyists with very specific vested interests. There are many excellent organizations trying to make a difference. Organizations like PACE - Working for energy efficiency, conservation, and benign renewable energy in Connecticut are concerned about alternative energy and global pollution issues. The Congress for New Urbanism focuses on building awareness and providing solutions for increasing the walkability and desirability of our urban cores. Congress for the New Urbanism Additionally, there are numerous boards and commissions within one's own community that often have many open positions for appointments to boards.

Social media has the potential to do great things, but often it does little more than give people the false sense of satisfaction that what they say has any real meaning in making positive changes. Overall, people have become less engaged in the direct local involvement component of government of which our democracy is based upon. We have lost control because we largely gave it away preferring to tweet, post, youtube, etc., as opposed to actually rolling up our sleeves and getting involved.

I include myself as being guilty of not taking as much of an active role as I should. No excuses.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 02-05-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Some people have trouble relating to people who are happy.
Just saying, that things might not be so rosy for those who don't earn much money (such as myself) as they are for you. I felt more normal when I lived in Hartford County. But down here, I feel like an underclassman (I make less than six figures). That's not something you can relate to apparently.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Just saying, that things might not be so rosy for those who don't earn much money (such as myself) as they are for you. I felt more normal when I lived in Hartford County. But down here, I feel like an underclassman (I make less than six figures). That's not something you can relate to apparently.
Happiness is relative man. I could be rich in Westport and I would still be unhappy. Heck, if I won the lottery tomorrow I would be out of here by Monday. There's also someone in Nowhere Kentucky who would win the lottery tomorrow and be in CT by Monday.

Set a goal to work towards. Working towards a goal engenders hope. And hope alone can make your life a lot easier and give you a sense of purpose, even if things are not exactly the way you want them at the moment.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 02-05-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I was happy ten years ago when I made $40,000. I felt "normal" and I didn't walk around thinking about people, or judging their worth, by their salary or zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut