Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
LOL. You seriously think someone can score a clean decent room in CT for $50?

Have a look here to see what you can expect for $50 in CT.
Via Priceline blind bids, yes. I got the Milford Hilton Garden Inn for $53 per night just before Christmas. With PL fee (about $4 per night), plus tax, my all in price averaged $67 per night.

But I could have drawn either the Milford Hyatt Place or Orange courtyard by Marriott. I like all 3, haved stayed at all, but like the Courtyard least. It is undersized for that brand, IMO. (There are no others at the star level in the PL zone I bid on.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:21 PM

754 posts, read 1,019,190 times
Stay away from Berlin turnpike

Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Don't forget the lot lizards!
That's why that place grosses me out so much. The cheapness AND proximity to the truck service center. That and the crime reports that come out of it. That place is high on my list of places to tear down in town.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
between Waterbury and Danbury. would prefer to keep costs around $50/night if that's possible..

Priceline had 2.5 star available in Danbury at $58 (figure $72 with $4 fee plus 15% tax), 2 star was available at $43 ($56 or so with fee/taxes). They are binding, blind bids if you go that route.

Hilton Garden Inns are usually 3s, I see La Quinta is a 2.5 as is Maron Hotel (an independent, I suspect), I can't say which 2.5 this $58 is (it can be any in the zone described), but it would be better than a Super 8, which is almost always a 1.

You may get a 3 with a blind bid in the low 50s, but bids can be rejected. The $58 was an express deal, which is not rejected. Again, both bids and express deals are paid immediately upon booking and cannot be changed or cancelled. Use it or lose it.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
LOL. You seriously think someone can score a clean decent room in CT for $50?

Have a look here to see what you can expect for $50 in CT.
Quote:
Yeah. When it comes to lodging, the cheapest option in a particular area will be the worst option in that area, 99% of the time. It's amazing what paying an extra 15-25% more will yield in comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Via Priceline blind bids, yes. I got the Milford Hilton Garden Inn for $53 per night just before Christmas. With PL fee (about $4 per night), plus tax, my all in price averaged $67 per night.

----

Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
----
I was assuming OP was looking for $50 as the room price pre tax. That would be $57.50 with tax, so yes, the $72 is in that add 15-25% range.

But I doubt he'd get a 2 star w/o a blind bid under $90 with tax, booked the conventional way.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 AM

9 posts, read 9,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I typically stay in Super 8 or EvonoLodge when I travel (West Virginia). They are normally clean, free wifi, fridge in room.
Ahhh free wi-fi, awesome! good to know Why doesnt more hotels/motels have that! I dont think wi-fi should cost a penny, we're in 2014 for christ sake! Should be free internet for everyone in public places such as hotels, airports, shopping malls, restaurants etc!

Old 02-12-2014, 05:14 AM

6,593 posts, read 4,987,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHuges View Post
Ahhh free wi-fi, awesome! good to know Why doesnt more hotels/motels have that! I dont think wi-fi should cost a penny, we're in 2014 for christ sake! Should be free internet for everyone in public places such as hotels, airports, shopping malls, restaurants etc!
That always surprised me too. I know there's a bandwidth issue on the bigger places but $10/night just seems greedy. I've complained and managed to get one out of two nights free but that's it. Luckily they're work related so I can charge it back.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,979,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHuges View Post
Most hotels/motels I've ever stayed at in the US or Canada has had free wi-fi. In this day and age they need to offer wi-fi to compete. Only the most inexpensive ones did not have wi-fi.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 AM

6,593 posts, read 4,987,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Most hotels/motels I've ever stayed at in the US or Canada has had free wi-fi. In this day and age they need to offer wi-fi to compete. Only the most inexpensive ones did not have wi-fi.
Exactly the opposite of my experience! For instance, I had a yearly trip to Stamford for 3 years. All big major chains. $10 night. I took to keeping a cable in my bag but now I can't remember if it was because one place didn't have wifi at all, or if hardwire was free.

I felt the smaller places promoted free wifi to set them apart.

There is a big place we stay in near Madison but I don't know about their wifi as by that time if year I have the data turned on for the iPad. I'll have to look it up.

Big places are still not my personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut