Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,856 times

Advertisements

I'm engaged in a debate. I do a lot of walking, and very frequently I find it unsafe to walk against traffic. I've been told that you should always walk against traffic but haven't been given any sources, particularly in CT, as to why this is the case.

When walking I find that a car has more time to see me and react if I'm walking with traffic, generally unless a sharp right-hand curve presents itself, I'm not a surprise. The basis of the argument for walking against traffic seems to be that the pedestrian has more time to react to an oncoming car. Now my reaction time is pretty quick, but I can't see myself managing to react in time to a car speeding around a corner at 40 coming directly at me.

I understand why bikes have different rules, but what about a faster pedestrian, such as someone on rollerblades, for example?

Last edited by Csiko; 02-10-2014 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Anything on wheels goes with traffic. On foot, against.

Not sure if rollerblades are in there, but pedestrian is https://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/pedestrians.htm

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 02-11-2014 at 05:24 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
You walk against traffic so you can see when vehicles are coming toward you and when they are not. There have been many times on my jogs that if it's too narrow, I'll hop on the grass so the vehicle doesn't have to stop or slow because of me.

You ride with traffic because, well, that's common sense.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:00 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
One of the theories for biking (or anything with wheels) with traffic is due to the speed a wheeled vehicle can reach. If you are biking against traffic, it's hard for a driver to judge your speed with two objects moving towards each other.

OP, when walking, you are going slow enough I can't see how a driver can react "better" if you're going with traffic vs against. I'm not sure that makes as much of a difference as when you're using wheels (bike/rollerblades).

I a not a scientist but spent a lot of time in bike shops and with runners.

When you have a sidewalk, it doesn't matter which way you go, but when in the road you should always walk against. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who walk dogs with traffic, with the dog on the traffic side.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 AM

582 posts, read 779,134 times
The speed difference between walkers and cars makes the small amount of extra time provided to the driver by you walking with traffic mute. It amounts to a fraction of a second. You as the walker don't know that a car is approaching until it reaches you. So any reactions must be done completely by the driver.

When you walk against traffic, you will approach the car vary slightly faster (about 2.9mph faster). However, since both you and the driver are aware of each others approach you both can react.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM

56 posts, read 108,428 times
Sad sorry, Last March a beautiful morning I saw a jogger go by my house with traffic. 500 yds later he was hit by a New Canaan girl texting on her phone. He died on route to the hospital. So I guess this is a good lesson to go against traffic & STAY OFF CELL PHONE WHEN DRIVING.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
The speed difference between walkers and cars makes the small amount of extra time provided to the driver by you walking with traffic mute. It amounts to a fraction of a second. You as the walker don't know that a car is approaching until it reaches you. So any reactions must be done completely by the driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat7 View Post
Sad sorry, Last March a beautiful morning I saw a jogger go by my house with traffic. 500 yds later he was hit by a New Canaan girl texting on her phone. He died on route to the hospital. So I guess this is a good lesson to go against traffic & STAY OFF CELL PHONE WHEN DRIVING.
How is this different if I'm against traffic? In both situations, it's still a fraction of reaction time. My fate is still in the hands of the driver.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
How is this different if I'm against traffic? In both situations, it's still a fraction of reaction time. My fate is still in the hands of the driver.
How is it the same? If you are facing traffic, you can both react. If you notice the driver is not moving over to give you room, you can jump into the grass/woods/etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut