Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:52 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
In terms of religion: in Connecticut, you can be any religion you want, as long as you don't take it too seriously.
I also disagree.

Like I don't know what religion my neighbors are, I also don't know to what degree they are adherents of religion.

It sounds like by "taking it too seriously" you want to tell others to be adherents to your religion, which is not the norm--and is frowned upon-- here.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,844 times
Quote:
People in ordinary conversation are pretty free, for example, to bash Bush and praise Obama, or tell a joke that depends on that for a punch line.
What conversations are you having where people actually praise Obama? All I hear is criticism of him and jokes about him - even from people who voted for him the first time!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
What conversations are you having where people actually praise Obama? All I hear is criticism of him and jokes about him - even from people who voted for him the first time!
I worked in a very monochromatic place.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I also disagree.

Like I don't know what religion my neighbors are, I also don't know to what degree they are adherents of religion.

It sounds like by "taking it too seriously" you want to tell others to be adherents to your religion, which is not the norm--and is frowned upon-- here.
I don't think that's what he meant.

I think he means that people here don't take themselves seriously. As in, can make jokes about their own political leaning/religion.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfamilyman View Post

I've read that New Canaan, Darien and Greenwich, among other towns in Fairfield County, voted Republican, but I don't feel like being surrounded by a bunch of RINOs, who call themselves conservatives and then support homosexual marriage and abortion...
Actually, it's the OP who is the RINO, not the other way around. I believe in abortion rights and gay marriage. Mitt Romney doesn't but I voted for him anyway because I thought he would have been a much better president than Obama.

But if the next Republican nominee were to be for abortion rights and gay marriage, the OP would not vote for him or her, irrespective if he thought the Republican would be much better than the Democrat.

So stop calling other Republicans RINO's, when it is you that is the RINO.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:18 AM

639 posts, read 972,091 times
This thread is a great reminder as to why I miss CT

We moved and got hit with the "what religion are you?" questions almost immediately, and still have the same reaction described above - disbelief. I agree with many - the OP will likely not be happy in CT. CT may vote Republican on some candidates, but what is Republican in CT is nowhere close to the Republicans that the OP is likely used to.

As much as the posters in the thread are correct in that not talking about these issues would be a better thing to do, the truth of the matter is that the underlying feel to an area that is contradictory to what you believe can be an uncomfortable place to live, whether you discuss it out loud or not (we don't and I still run into those feelings, from the other viewpoint).

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I truly miss the New England way of life (but I don't miss the weather )

Old 02-16-2014, 06:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I actually have some close friends and family that praise Obama. It's not something people usually discuss with casual acquaintances though, particularly now when it's the norm to bash Obama. You might be surprised how people really feel. Just one more example of how people in Ct. keep their opinions to themselves.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I actually have some close friends and family that praise Obama. It's not something people usually discuss with casual acquaintances though, particularly now when it's the norm to bash Obama. You might be surprised how people really feel. Just one more example of how people in Ct. keep their opinions to themselves.
I don't usually bash him. I just make a facial expression indicating displeasure if his name is ever mentioned.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
People in ordinary conversation are pretty free, for example, to bash Bush and praise Obama, or tell a joke that depends on that for a punch line. If somebody says something along those lines they are confident that no one will push back. Why should they worry? The odds are good that everybody they talk to will agree with them.

The reverse is not true.
That's one of the most untrue things I've read here in a long time. Most people in my circle of friends, at work, and in general are so anti-Obama that I wonder how CT goes liberal every time. But if you look, it's mostly the cities that go blue, which unfortunately overtakes the suburbs.

Don't tell BS stories because you're going to be called on it.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:28 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Actually, it's the OP who is the RINO, not the other way around. I believe in abortion rights and gay marriage. Mitt Romney doesn't but I voted for him anyway because I thought he would have been a much better president than Obama.

But if the next Republican nominee were to be for abortion rights and gay marriage, the OP would not vote for him or her, irrespective if he thought the Republican would be much better than the Democrat.

So stop calling other Republicans RINO's, when it is you that is the RINO.
Completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut