Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:47 AM

363 posts, read 635,000 times

Advertisements

It's really just another way for the local government to steal more money from you every year. I own four cars and my yearly car tax is $2200. Don't pay it and you can't renew your registration, some municipalities will boot and impound your car as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 06:05 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
There are no municipal or county level income taxes to pay for services, so yes property is taxed.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:09 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
You get taxed on everything here. Car taxes will be the least of your troubles. PS - check out the insurance rates also, they might increase as well depending on the town. Welcome to CT!

Old 02-28-2014, 02:22 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Are you speaking from experience of living in a newer neighborhood in Oxford?
No. Lived (still here, house no longer brand new) in a newer house the next town over and most of the Valley had a slew of new neighborhoods popping up over the last fifteen years. Of course people are beyond excited and chummy at first, but it mellows. As for the affairs...I could think of at least three on one particular street. I get all the dirt from my realtor friends.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:37 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
No. Lived (still here, house no longer brand new) in a newer house the next town over and most of the Valley had a slew of new neighborhoods popping up over the last fifteen years. Of course people are beyond excited and chummy at first, but it mellows. As for the affairs...I could think of at least three on one particular street. I get all the dirt from my realtor friends.
Happens everywhere - I have a friend who lives in a nice suburban subdivision outside of Richmond, VA and she's always bemoaning somebody in the neighborhood whose marriage is breaking up due to an affair with somebody else in the subdivision. Almost sounds like a soap opera writing itself. (One of those big 300-500 home subdivisions I mentioned in another thread...)

Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW to CT View Post
This sounds awfully superficial and something we are seeking to avoid.

I have found a rental in Shelton and will be heading back East soon! I assume once I begin daily life in the area, I can connect with locals and gain my own feel for area towns. Waiting to buy seems to be the best route.

I have been doing a hell of a lot of research and am baffled by this vehicle tax. I'm reading hundreds of dollars per vehicle twice a year! Is this due to emissions (guzzler vehicles more while economical vehicles less)?

While on the subject of cars...should I invest in a second 4wd vehicle? I can work from home during inclement weather but my wife is essential and will need to travel rain or shine. We have a 4runner that we may ship, and a Passat that will be sold here.

Thank you all.
You'll actually be in a town with some of the lowest taxes in the area. So good choice! And I wouldn't let my little comment dissuade you from Oxford or any other town. You can easily maintain privacy in Oxford.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:56 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Sounds like hearsay and gossip that is irresponsibly being passed on to a future resident of the area.

Lets encourage the OP to tour all towns in the area and choose one he/she feels most comfortable, not fill their head with stories that we have not experienced firsthand.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Not hearsay. And I believe I did not discourage the OP.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:03 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Not hearsay.
This "information" was received by your realtor friend, and not something you experienced, correct?

hear·sayˈhi(ə)rˌsā/
noun
noun: hearsay
information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This "information" was received by your realtor friend, and not something you experienced, correct?

hear·sayˈhi(ə)rˌsā/
noun
noun: hearsay
information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.
Someone is being rather righteous. Started as hearsay...turned out to be obvious and true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut