Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,205,593 times

Advertisements

I knew regional taxing would be a legitimate concern when I posted the first article this past winter. And our legislature has already approved and included language for this to happen? I guess I missed that part. Voters OK joining planning agency, but fear counties, taxes | The Ridgefield Press

Last edited by Lalalally; 08-14-2014 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 PM

34,663 posts, read 56,446,318 times
Again. as I posted back the fiorst time, there are no talks going on behind closed doors to bring back counties in this state or implement a regional tax. The purpose of this is to reduce the number of Regional Planning Agencies in the state to a more reasonable number. Right now we have something like 12 agencies, some of which are tiny. This may have made sense 550 years ago when these areas were more independent but today it just does not make sense. As an example, New Jersey only has 3 agencies for the entire state and it is larger in area. I think the First Selectman in Ridgefield is trying to put fear into peoples mind and then set up his campaign against it for political reasons. Jay

Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,205,593 times
They are more than talks Jay, there has been language approved by our legislature giving taxing authority to the expanded regions. I apparently am more cynical than you and don't possess the same level of faith as you that this won't happen. We shall see how it plays out in the coming years. And for what it's worth, it's not just Marconi who is unhappy and raising concern with this new arrangement. It's every single mayor and selectman/woman in the area. I'll be paying closer attention going forward:

“The language passed by the legislature does give the region the authority to tax,” Mr. Marconi told the town meeting. “We’re going to keep an eye on that.”

Asked about the concerns Mr. Marconi raised, State Sen. Toni Boucher was anything but dismissive.

“I share Rudy’s concern. There is indeed a move in this direction by the speaker of the House,” Ms. Boucher said in an e-mail Tuesday. “Some of us are raising objections immediately in behalf of our districts."

Though he’d raised the concern, Mr. Marconi said this week that he wondered if many officials would seriously advocate a revival of counties.

“I don’t know,” he said. “But it seems, since language was added allowing for taxation, it may be there are some advocates in Hartford who would support a county form of government/taxation.

P.S. 550 years ago?? LOL & JK

Last edited by Lalalally; 08-16-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 11:49 PM

34,663 posts, read 56,446,318 times
This has nothing to do with faith. It has to do with knowledge. Read the legislation and you will see it does not allow for regional taxation. Again this is fear politics. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut