Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 AM

29 posts, read 39,048 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I've got a job opportunity in Wilton, CT and I've decided to take it. I'll move with my wife in mid-september this year. I know it's early but I'm trying to have an idea of what it costs to live in CT.
I've lived in France, in the UK and we're in Vietnam right now. So I've seen many different ways of living for very different monthly budgets... and I expect CT to be something different again!

I think the best way of getting your help is to give you as much info as I have. My gross salary will be $110k and the benefits package includes excellent health insurance (100% on dental, vision...). My wife will not work at first.

Right now, we're trying to decide what we can afford in terms of accommodation. I understand that CT (and especially Wilton's area) is not cheap! Here are our criteria:
- Commuting should not take more than 45 minutes (by train or car)
- First kid might be on the way when we move so we'll need 2 bedrooms
- We've lived in big cities so far. It's ok for us to live in a quiet town but it's got to be things to do nearby (movie, restaurants...)

Question behind all this is, if we pay $1500-$2000 a month for the rent, would my salary allow us to save some money?

I'll have many other questions later!
CM

Last edited by cpt_mosc; 02-26-2014 at 05:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
Welcome to Connecticut.

You may be able to find a place for $2,000 a month in Fairfield, Trumbull, south Norwalk or even Stamford. You might be limited in your amount of choices, though. Milford is probably another good option for you, as would be Shelton.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,417 times
You can also check out Danbury and surrounding towns.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM

Thanks. That's a beginning. I checked apartments in Danbury and they are definitely cheaper than in Norwalk.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Since schools are of no concern, i think i would concentrate the search in Norwalk. If there isn't anything appealing there, i'd look in Fairfield next.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_mosc View Post
Thanks. That's a beginning. I checked apartments in Danbury and they are definitely cheaper than in Norwalk.
Danbury is significantly cheaper. Commute isn't too bad either. I like the Shelton/Milford area better than Danbury personally, but traffic is more significant even though the distance is the same. Still, 45 minutes would be the average commute likely. It depends on how much of a commute you can tolerate to save money, and what you want in a community.

Norwalk is not a bad option at all, if schools are no concern. There's definitely more going on and more to do in Norwalk than Danbury. Danbury has a very good mall and some restaurants, but not much more.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,041,281 times
For a young family with a stay at home parent, the Danbury area is a nice option. There are several very active and friendly moms groups, and in general, the cost of living is moderate.

If you are planning on being a two-income family, Norwalk probably gives your wife better access to career opportunities.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:51 AM

Thank you for your replies.

Let's say, we rent a 2 bedroom apartment. What is the average bill for electricity, water...(or utilities all together)? Is there any local tax to pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut