Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchester2 View Post
We decided to move to connecticut next year, because we have lived in philadelphia for 15 years and I am getting tired of it and so are my kids. Just too much traffic and not a safe place just to wonder around. No yards or anything.

My job has an office in Manchester, CT so I don't want to commute longer then 90 min. I am looking for places in the suburbs that are a bit desserted, but at the same time I don't want to be driving like 25+ miles for like a Dairy Queen, Applebees, Shoprite, Walmart, etc.

So I am debating either moving to:

Northwest CT in Litchfield County: Torrington, Winchester, Goshen area
or
Northeast CT in Windham County: Killingly, Putnam, Thompson area.

How are these areas, I have never been there so I will be exploring both areas soon, but I am just wondering are those safe places to live? And I am guessing they are pretty desserted areas, but can someone confirm this with me?

Is Manchester an easy commute from both places? They look good in milage but as you all probably know traffic in CT is a mess, so how is the traffic in those areas?

Are there any reasons you would recommend one place over another?

Which places would you recommend? I also need places safe for my kids to bike and wander around the town, so if you know northwest vs northeast better for that, please let me know?

I hope you can help.
As others have noted you do not want to live in Litchfield County and commute to MAnchester. Somehow you would have to get around greater Hartford and that could be an issue.

More importantly though isd that you do not HAVE to live that far from Manchester to be in a more rural area. Why commute any further than you have to especially when you have kids.

Many of the towns mentioned, Marlborough, Hebron, Ellington, Willington, Colchester, etc. would be excellent choices. I would also consider Mansfield, Union, Ashford, Bolton, Coventry and Andover. These are all good choices. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
The options mentioned already are good ones. You would not want to live in the original areas that you suggested. They may look close "as the crow flies" but there is traffic and the topography is not flat. You are going up and down hills and in Litchfield Cty, especially, it can be hilly, wooded, and remote. In winter it is difficult driving.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 PM

74 posts, read 87,490 times
Westchester2, we too are planning on moving from PA, (SE corner of Chester County), to Tolland, CT later this year. We rode up in January and checked out several communities. If you would like to find a rural community with a great school district, you should really consider Tolland. It is quite close to Manchester, so it would be an easy commute to work, and you can be at a major shopping area in about 15-20 minutes, easy ride down 84. It may seem close to Hartford on a map, but it is in no way a built up suburb, it is a beautiful rural area. We also found that the houses there are more affordable compared to other areas that have really good school districts. You really do need to look into school districts, as they vary greatly. Often you can have a really great one right next to one that is below average. Make sure you weigh the price of the house against finding a good school district. We found some gorgeous houses that were wonderfully affordable, but then we looked into the school district and found it was sub par. Where ever you wind up, good luck!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 PM

46 posts, read 134,981 times
Thanks all, I am looking at Marlborough and Willington

Old 02-20-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guatmom2 View Post
Westchester2, we too are planning on moving from PA, (SE corner of Chester County), to Tolland, CT later this year. We rode up in January and checked out several communities. If you would like to find a rural community with a great school district, you should really consider Tolland. It is quite close to Manchester, so it would be an easy commute to work, and you can be at a major shopping area in about 15-20 minutes, easy ride down 84. It may seem close to Hartford on a map, but it is in no way a built up suburb, it is a beautiful rural area. We also found that the houses there are more affordable compared to other areas that have really good school districts. You really do need to look into school districts, as they vary greatly. Often you can have a really great one right next to one that is below average. Make sure you weigh the price of the house against finding a good school district. We found some gorgeous houses that were wonderfully affordable, but then we looked into the school district and found it was sub par. Where ever you wind up, good luck!
I'd prefer Willington to Tolland. How is Willington, Willington I think is the next town up from Tolland.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As others have noted you do not want to live in Litchfield County and commute to MAnchester. Somehow you would have to get around greater Hartford and that could be an issue.

More importantly though isd that you do not HAVE to live that far from Manchester to be in a more rural area. Why commute any further than you have to especially when you have kids.

Many of the towns mentioned, Marlborough, Hebron, Ellington, Willington, Colchester, etc. would be excellent choices. I would also consider Mansfield, Union, Ashford, Bolton, Coventry and Andover. These are all good choices. Jay
JayCT, I already am not going to northeastern CT but I am just wondering if you have an opinion on the northeastern CT places I listed that you quoted, are they good areas?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 6,153 times
Marlborough really is a better long term choice.

Marlborough school is very, very good and it feeds into the Regional 8 High School (RHAM). That school was rebuilt just a few years ago and has excellent facilities.

Marlborough is right on Route 2 expressway - that gives you easy access to Glastonbury for some big box (Home Depot, Barnes & Noble), Whole Foods and nice restos and similar. It also means you are about half an hour (outside of peak traffic) from either West Hartford (upscale stuff) or the mall complex at South Windsor.

Oh, and my daughter lived in Willington for a time. She moved away... just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut