U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 87,415 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with Naugatuck. Their home prices seem very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 09:43 AM

2,375 posts, read 6,258,494 times
It's a town that needs a lot of work. It used to be the rubber capital for the country and industrial manufactoring center and almost all of the places are either gone or still operating in a limited production (in terms of employment) but the enviroment is bad.

As for prices, the general rule is the closer to NYC you are, the more expensive it costs and the nice areas around Hartford are expensive, but not as expensive as the suburbs of NY. Taxes do seem a little bit on the higher side in Naugatuck ($10,000 for a $450,000 home). The city itself is turning into a bedroom community for Fairfield and the rest of New Haven counties lower-middle class. Middlebury and Oxford are more quiant towns with better schools but to purchase in the towns will cost more money.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:11 AM

57 posts, read 235,100 times
I currently live in Naugatuck and spend 10K a year to send my kids to Catholic school.
Naugatuck has improved alot over the last 5 years but it is still not that great.
If you have children I would spend a little more and look at Middlebury, Oxford, Prospect or Cheshire. If I had to do it again I would choose Cheshire.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:13 PM

720 posts, read 1,536,795 times
Naugatuck has some great and some not so great neighborhoods. I felt my 4 kids did well in the school sysytem. You have to know your areas, there are gangs, drug sellers easily available.Some of the parents are bad characters too. Still, there are nice spots to live.
After 7 years, we moved to the town next to us, Beacon Falls and have loved it here for 13 years. Small, quiet, slower pace, great schools.Prospect is another good town.,they share a middle school and high school with us.
Best wishes--where are you moving from?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Naugatuck

I'm relocating from the Charlottesville, VA area. My husband is already working in Fairfield. We are househunting, and knowing the right area to live in can get a little crazy.

Once you find a descent place to live you have to consider the commute.

I appreciate all of your help!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:56 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,102,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqsgirl View Post
I'm relocating from the Charlottesville, VA area. My husband is already working in Fairfield. We are househunting, and knowing the right area to live in can get a little crazy.

Once you find a descent place to live you have to consider the commute.

I appreciate all of your help!
Hi iqsgirl,

KristinS mentioned my town, Cheshire. I've been here for 15 years and love the fact that Planning and Zoning keeps tight control over what businesses come into town. We have some business, like the Federated Logistics & Operations warehouse (think, Macy*s and Bloomingdale's). However, with our gasoline being among the highest in the country at times, try to keep the commute short, if possible.

Rich
Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Last edited by Marka; 11-02-2006 at 01:45 AM..

Old 01-02-2007, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,135 times
Iqsgirl,

Yes, if you can locate close to job do so. I finally got something close to home and really appreciate the gas savings. Wish you well..................

"Q".........................

Old 02-08-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Relocated already

Thanks for all your replies. We moved from Charlottesville in December of '06--right before Christmas. We actually found a home in Huntington/Shelton area.

It's close to home, the community is beautiful and we actually found new construction for the same price as existing homes. My husband's commut is an unbelievable 12-15 minutes on the Merritt Pkwy.

Thank you all again for your very helpful input.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 AM

9 posts, read 30,020 times
Default Working on "Lower-Middle Class"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
It's a town that needs a lot of work. It used to be the rubber capital for the country and industrial manufactoring center and almost all of the places are either gone or still operating in a limited production (in terms of employment) but the enviroment is bad.

As for prices, the general rule is the closer to NYC you are, the more expensive it costs and the nice areas around Hartford are expensive, but not as expensive as the suburbs of NY. Taxes do seem a little bit on the higher side in Naugatuck ($10,000 for a $450,000 home). The city itself is turning into a bedroom community for Fairfield and the rest of New Haven counties lower-middle class. Middlebury and Oxford are more quiant towns with better schools but to purchase in the towns will cost more money.

My husband makes a six-figure salary which allows me to stay home and care for our four children. We live comfortably, need nothing and want very little. I do not consider myself lower-middle class nor do I our neighbors. This town does have a mixture of "classes", which makes it a diverse place to live. With many new homes under construction ranging between high $300's to high $400's, many pre-built homes in my area ranging from the low $300's to high $300's, I look at that as an average middle class to upper middle class area. There are also at least five communities in Naugatuck that offer homes beginning in the middle $300's (and upwards). As for Naugatuck needing a lot of work...I disagree with you. Does Naugatuck need to improve it's image and bring in more revenue through business, retail, entertainment, etc? Yes, but saying that it needs a lot of work infers that this town is in dire straights which it is not. With Renaissance Place approved, Naugatuck has taken a huge step forward on assuring it's future economic growth and polishing it's image. We have lived in upper-class communities and are MUCH happier here. The people are great, the neighborhoods are family-oriented and safe; the town makes an effort to focus on children and family. We are happy here as are many others. If you are unsure about Naugatuck, research the town online. Two good sites to look at (other than city-data) Moderator cut: links removed. Ask people in town what they think of it, go to the restaurants & store in town and observe, come to the town and drive through the various neighborhoods, visit the parks, look through the local newspapers, go to the fairs & festivals the town offers; but do not base your decisions on anyone else's opinions.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut