Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
LOL the opposite happened to me.

I was in the left lane of the Merritt right around 3:30 or 3:45 so it was pretty crowded, highest I was going is 65 but I think I was around 63. A cop pulls up behind me, and puts on his lights so I'm thinking how the hell can I get a ticket when I'm going 60 mph, I'm definatly going to fight this. After I got over to the right lane, the cof kept on going with his lights flashing clearing out the left lane. Once he got a reaonable distance past, cruised about 70 in an empty left lane staying a safe distance behind the cruiser obviously.
Nice. Too bad you didn't get to go faster than 70 mph. It's nice to havr the law as an accomplice to your "crime."

I got tickets on a pretty regular basis when I was younger, so the cop in my rear view mirror was a pretty familiar feeling, and I knewlwhat it usually meant. It was nice for a cop coming up behind me to bring me some fun driving instead of another ticket.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Nice. Too bad you didn't get to go faster than 70 mph. It's nice to havr the law as an accomplice to your "crime."

I got tickets on a pretty regular basis when I was younger, so the cop in my rear view mirror was a pretty familiar feeling, and I knewlwhat it usually meant. It was nice for a cop coming up behind me to bring me some fun driving instead of another ticket.

I had just gotten my first ticket like a month prior to that, so I was pretty nervous once I saw the lights.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Once he got a reaonable distance past, cruised about 70 in an empty left lane staying a safe distance behind the cruiser obviously.
What you claim to have done is illegal.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,344 times
Are any of you familiar with The Rocky Neck exit of off 95 in East Lyme? I got a $103 ticket off there a week ago. The exit is more than an off ramp. It's like a mile or more. Anyway, you come around a corner and over a hill. There I find a cop out of his car (which by the way was facing away) and he motioned me over. Got a ticket for 56 in a 45. My question is can they radar you facing away from you? Secondly, I can't imagine he caught me from over the hill and around the bend. I'm going to fight it. Any ideas?. Thanks

Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswannabe View Post
Are any of you familiar with The Rocky Neck exit of off 95 in East Lyme? I got a $103 ticket off there a week ago. The exit is more than an off ramp. It's like a mile or more. Anyway, you come around a corner and over a hill. There I find a cop out of his car (which by the way was facing away) and he motioned me over. Got a ticket for 56 in a 45. My question is can they radar you facing away from you? Secondly, I can't imagine he caught me from over the hill and around the bend. I'm going to fight it. Any ideas?. Thanks
Yes, I know that exit. The only time I've seen a cop near there was during the height of summer season and he was helping with the flow of traffic to Rocky Neck State Park. Did you see the radar gun in the cop's hand? The cop does not need to use radar to give you a ticket. There is a possibility that he wrote something like "sight" for method of determining speed. I have only received one speeding ticket and the cop didn't use radar. If he didn't list radar on the ticket, you will likely get the entire thing tossed out when you fight it. Just remember to fight it on the inaccuracy of the speed (if you were going 5-8 mph over the limit, not 11) and not just the fact that he didn't use radar.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
They can radar you pretty much any way they'd like. Most modern police vehicles can detect speeds in front of and behind the unit in all terrains, and since CT is very progressive when it comes to policing, I think all vehicles are equipped with the latest technology (state and local). Opposite facing radar is quite common now for various reasons.

Fight it. Admit to the prosecutor you were going a little quick and if it's your first offense, they will likely reduce it.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Yes, I know that exit. The only time I've seen a cop near there was during the height of summer season and he was helping with the flow of traffic to Rocky Neck State Park. Did you see the radar gun in the cop's hand? The cop does not need to use radar to give you a ticket. There is a possibility that he wrote something like "sight" for method of determining speed. I have only received one speeding ticket and the cop didn't use radar. If he didn't list radar on the ticket, you will likely get the entire thing tossed out when you fight it. Just remember to fight it on the inaccuracy of the speed (if you were going 5-8 mph over the limit, not 11) and not just the fact that he didn't use radar.
Yeah, this guy was collecting $ for the city....end of the month. He told me I was going 56, but wrote 55+. I don't see a place on the ticket where it would say radar or sight, but I'm going to try to fight it. Hopefully they reduce it and I won't get points.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, this guy was collecting $ for the city....end of the month. He told me I was going 56, but wrote 55+. I don't see a place on the ticket where it would say radar or sight, but I'm going to try to fight it. Hopefully they reduce it and I won't get points.
"Quotas" are a myth. They do have a number that supervisors LIKE to see, but most departments (in Connecticut at least) do not have quotas. Everyone hear that? Cops here do not have to meet quotas. Also, last I checked, 56 is above 55.

In all seriousness, if he didn't catch it on radar, chances are it will be dismissed. Go in there, be humble and apologize for any inconvenience.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
"Quotas" are a myth. They do have a number that supervisors LIKE to see, but most departments (in Connecticut at least) do not have quotas. Everyone hear that? Cops here do not have to meet quotas. Also, last I checked, 56 is above 55.

In all seriousness, if he didn't catch it on radar, chances are it will be dismissed. Go in there, be humble and apologize for any inconvenience.
I only wrote that he told me 56 and wrote 55+ in reference to the question of radar vs. sight. Anyway, thanks for the input everyone!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winoa View Post
I thought that prosecutors could smell bull**** the second you open your mouth.
It wouldn't be "bull****" if the individual admitted it, as I had suggested they do, now would it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut