Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 PM

642 posts, read 854,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Fairfield does not border the worst parts of Bridgeport. No town does as it's in the middle of east Bridgeport.
Stylo,

You can't possibly live in this area. Have you seen the areas near Bridgeport Unviersity? The entire southern part of the town is not good to say the least. Look and see how close that is to the Fairfield border. Trumbull is miles away from the southern bad parts of Bridgeport and that is the point I am trying to make. In fact I live at least 10 miles from Bridgeport Univeristy in Trumbull with the Parkway as a barrier and the border with Fairfield with no barrier is only about a mile or two from there with many points of entrance.

I think the OP is getting what I am saying now.

Stylo, I can't remember where you live. Do you live in this area?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
Stylo,

You can't possibly live in this area. Have you seen the areas near Bridgeport Unviersity? The entire southern part of the town is not good to say the least. Look and see how close that is to the Fairfield border. Trumbull is miles away from the southern bad parts of Bridgeport and that is the point I am trying to make. In fact I live at least 10 miles from Bridgeport Univeristy in Trumbull with the Parkway as a barrier and the border with Fairfield with no barrier is only about a mile or two from there.

UB isn't close to the Fairfield border. I'm confused here.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Stylo,

You can't possibly live in this area. Have you seen the areas near Bridgeport Unviersity? The entire southern part of the town is not good to say the least. Look and see how close that is to the Fairfield border. Trumbull is miles away from the southern bad parts of Bridgeport and that is the point I am trying to make. In fact I live at least 10 miles from Bridgeport Univeristy in Trumbull with the Parkway as a barrier and the border with Fairfield with no barrier is only about a mile or two from there with many points of entrance.

No need for the presumptuous attitude. I live in the area and grew up in Fairfield County. I've spent tons of time in Black Rock, Brooklawn (have plenty of friends that have homes there), and actually spent a ton of time around the Colorado Ave area of Bridgeport - which I feel is perfectly safe, but perhaps you would feel threatened there as you do in downtown New Haven.

For the record, SCR is right - UB does not border Bridgeport. The only southern parts of Bridgeport that border Fairfield are Black Rock, Commerce Drive/West End, and the Brooklawn area - all of which are very benign areas and no more dangerous than northern Main by Trumbull.

You're trying to defend Trumbull from misconceptions, but you specifically said Fairfield borders the "worst" section of Bridgeport.

Most people that "live in this area" know that to be completely false. The "worst" section of Bridgeport is nowhere near the Fairfield border (or Trumbull, as you're trying to prove).

Either way, Fairfield is not the subject of the thread so let's please return to it.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Now I know a bunch of people who don't even know the area are casting aspersions on Trumbull but never Fairfield which is most unfair.

Google the directions for....

500 Algonquin Road (Brooklawn Country Club in an area* which is touted on here that people should live in Fairfield.)
&
126 Park Avenue (Bridgeport University)

They are 3 miles from one another.....with no Parkway as a barrier I might add.

*The Stratfield/Brooklawn area.

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 03-03-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Quote:
Now I know a bunch of people who don't even know the area are casting aspirations on Trumbull but never Fairfield which is most unfair.

500 Algonquin Road (Brooklawn Country Club in an area which is touted on here that people should live in Fairfield.

126 Park Avenue (Bridgpeport University)

They are 3 miles from one another.
3 miles isn't close.

FYI: Commerce Drive is the closest(2 miles) to UB.

Casting aspirations<sic>????

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 03-03-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Most people that "live in this area" know that to be completely false. The "worst" section of Bridgeport is nowhere near the Fairfield border (or Trumbull, as you're trying to prove).

Either way, Fairfield is not the subject of the thread so let's please return to it.
What you are saying is very relevant not only to this thread but to many others.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE? What newspaper do you read on a daily basis?

I have been and continue to go to many areas of Bridgeport on a weekly basis. I have been a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity in Bridgeport and worked on houses all over the city. My work takes me to all areas of Bridgeport including the areas close to Bridgeport Univeristy and all the southern sections. I read the CT Post, the Bridgeport paper and understand what is going on in the different sections of the town.

The area that is near Bridgeport Univeristy is not a good area.

Simply put the southern areas of Bridgeport are the worst and the further you go north (towards Trumbull) it gets better and better.

92 Lycett Bridgeport--1400 sf (near Trumbull mall) on zillow $250,000
342 Norman Avenue Bridgeport--1400 sf (near Bridgeport University) on zillow $94,000 (2 miles from Brooklawn Country Club in Fairfield)

What do you think accounts for such a big price difference?

I am stunned that you keep saying that the area of Trumbull near the Bridgeport border should be stayed away from and is not a good place to live but you think the area near Bridgeport University is good. It is simply unbelievable.

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 03-03-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
I am stunned that you keep saying that the area of Trumbull near the Bridgeport border should be stayed away from and is not a good place to live but you think the area near Bridgeport University is good. It is simply unbelievable.
Who said that??

There are areas far worse than the UB area in Bridgeport that are 3 miles from the Trumbull border. This argument is getting silly.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 PM

9,704 posts, read 7,376,270 times
Trumbull is great if your going to Waterbury, Stamford (during non rush hours that is), and New Haven. Trumbull would be about 600 times more convenient to get to Newtown, Danbury, New Milford, the area up north of 84 if they continued the highway section of 25 up to the interchange of 84 like it was supposed to be built.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:13 AM

678 posts, read 841,045 times
Default Apologize for the Length!

Hahaha! I'm glad you guys are really into this topic, because, I really wanted a good, exhaustive debate about this. It's probably the toughest question I've faced when discussing CT town vs CT town. Although, I beg you guys not too eat each other up too much or go off topic. I do not wish for JayCT to come and lock this thread up. :/

- Several of you folks have asked me about commute regarding my topic question. I purposely left that option out cause I know how heavily a choice depends on it. For the sake of my question, we'll pick a town/city that is roughly equal distance from both towns and can be reached in roughly the same amount of time. I do not want to factor commute because the answer becomes more clear cut as to which town can be considered better.

- People have suggested Monroe. I should clarify that this question is actually more hypothetical than serious. It stemmed from a conversation with a friend of mine from Trumbull about how we're so close, yet feel so distant, but know Monroe well. We both knew our towns are quite affluent, and we just had to ask, which one is better, even if by a little? Regarding Monroe, I do like Monroe, but, Route 25/34 leading into Monroe have never interested me, and I find it..."ugly". I KNOW! Don't kill me. I know some of you folks will say to dive deeper into town, it's just that, that's the image that is unfortunately ingrained in me. To even up a bit, I think Route 25 becomes beautiful when you jump into the Henry Mucci Expressway. Especially in Spring/Fall. I have heard Monroe is littered with nice parks and good scene and what not. I appreciate for people pointing out some places in this topic, cause, I do plan to explore when the weather is a bit more tame and warmer. I hope that'll clear up my image of Monroe some more. I also hope to explore Monroe into Easton given the time.

- I see several people talking about actual suburban vs rural. I see where you guys are coming from. My views are a bit skewed, cause, I live very close to Main St, Newtown, which has alotta activity. I acknowledge that there are definitely parts of Newtown that are 200% rural. Newtown is a big town, can't help it, lol! Trumbull is more built and smaller, which makes it easier to give that suburban view. However, I feel like Newtown has developed alot the past five years. I don't know if I would really like to classify it completely as rural. I mean, I will agree it's not as suburban as Trumbull, either. I don't know. However, I guess it is a good point. Rural has a more peaceful, natury feel while suburban has that city next to us feel. Personally speaking, if I am to live in Connecticut, I would prefer a town like Newtown in this regard. I am from Los Angeles and I was born in a city, and have always loved cities. I don't feel much love for the cities in CT except for Stamford and Danbury. And even then, you can't really compare that to Los Angeles. What makes this difficult is that Trumbull is an excellent suburb, and I can also live in an environment like that just as easily. I am biased. I prefer Newtown, myself, but, this is quite subjective to each individual. I don't want this to be the deciding factor.

I am a resident of Newtown, and I am quite familiar with this region (I'm sure not as much as some of you folks, however). The interesting thing is, I do not find myself familiar AT ALL with the Trumbull area. I think this is because of the divide in Upper vs Lower Fairfield County, Greater Bridgeport vs Greater Danbury. It's just that I have never found a reason to go down Route 25 when I can take I-84 and go to Federal Road in Brookfield or Danbury Fair Mall for my needs. And I find that quite fascinating considering we are two town over.

I do appreciate the talk about Stratford and Fairfield, cause, I know these towns have things going for them and Trumbull is well connected to them. I did state that these towns can be used for leverage to decide the battle between Newtown vs Trumbull.

BPT's danger and poverty is a valid point to this topic as well, but, it shouldn't be the only thing. I understand all of your points. One thing is for sure. Newtown exhibits 0% encroaching of BPT, while Trumbull does, even though it's not that great. Rest is irrelevant. I don't care how much Fairfield or Stratford exhibit. In my eyes, these towns along with Westport are all nice towns with plenty going for them. My friend lives in Tashua, and I see no ghetto influence in that area. I heard Nichols is an even more affluent area than Tashua, so, I'm not concerned. For the record, there isn't a single area of Newtown I know that can even rival the smallest encroachment of BPT into Trumbull. I think Newtown wins in this battle of the war. There's just no denying that. Can we agree that much?

Keep the discussion flowing, add whatever you feel is relevant. Just want to thank you guys. I should have made a poll to keep better track.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 AM

287 posts, read 620,703 times
Quote:
Now I know a bunch of people who don't even know the area are casting aspersions on Trumbull but never Fairfield which is most unfair.

500 Algonquin Road (Brooklawn Country Club in an area* which is touted on here that people should live in Fairfield.)
&
126 Park Avenue (Bridgeport University)

They are 3 miles from one another.....with no Parkway as a barrier I might add.

*The Stratfield/Brooklawn area.
I'd take the breathtakingly beautiful and convenient Brooklawn Park/Algonquin area over the nondescript and isolated Trumbull any day. People who look in Trumbull are 'different' buyers than those who look in Brooklawn. That said, neither are largely impacted by crime, unless you're in the mall area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut