Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:52 AM

10 posts, read 11,406 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Will be moving to the Hartford, CT area in a few months and would appreciate advice on where to look for housing (likely a SFH rental).

My spouse will be working at the UConn Health Center in Farmington and can't be more than ~15 minutes drive from there. I will likely be working in Amherst, MA and would like to minimize my commute time and mileage as much as possible while still living within ~15 minutes of the UConn Health Center.

With that in mind, where would be the best place(s) to look for a safe, family-friendly area (not worried about schools at this point).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
First question...budget?

I'll save everyone the time.. West Hartford! lol

Becasue apparently the only two good towns in CT are West Hartford and Milford. I'm being funny, but still....look at West Hartford or even Farmington itself. You're commute will not be terrible. I did the drive from Southington all the time to Holyoke. You'll just have to jump on 91. I wouldn't go down 84 any further and anymore towards 91 is Hartford and will be more than 15 minutes away.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
In all seriousness, you should target the north side of West Hartford (north of Albany Av). The commute from there to UCHC is definitely not more than 15 min, with virtually no traffic. For yourself, you will be able to access I-91 by getting to 218 through Bloomfield...again, you will not encounter traffic as most of it will be the other way commuting to Aetna & MetLife.

Your bottleneck will likely be I-91 just south of Springfield where the highway goes down to 2 lanes.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
15 minutes from UConn and on the way to Amherst is going to mean living close to Rt 84, in West Hartford. Look at houses right near the highway entrances to 84. The only area of Farmington that you could live in would be the area very close to UConn, because there is a terrible traffic bottleneck along route 4, just west of where route 4 intersects with route 508. You will have to leave for work very early to get through Hartford before the rush hour traffic. And you will have a long commute - Amherst is a lot farther than Holyoke. Figure over an hour each way, without traffic.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
In all seriousness, you should target the north side of West Hartford (north of Albany Av). The commute from there to UCHC is definitely not more than 15 min, with virtually no traffic. For yourself, you will be able to access I-91 by getting to 218 through Bloomfield...again, you will not encounter traffic as most of it will be the other way commuting to Aetna & MetLife.

Your bottleneck will likely be I-91 just south of Springfield where the highway goes down to 2 lanes.
This is a good idea, depending upon what your planned time of commuting is. But the way up through Bloomfield to get to 291 can be slow, depending upon the amount of traffic on Cottage Grove Road. If she can leave early, say, by 7AM, she should be able to sail through Hartford on 84.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
No need to live close to I-84 or even get on it. Get on Farmington Av going west out of WH, puts you right in front of UCHC. It has virtually zero traffic, as this was my commute for several years.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman717 View Post
Hi all! Will be moving to the Hartford, CT area in a few months and would appreciate advice on where to look for housing (likely a SFH rental).

My spouse will be working at the UConn Health Center in Farmington and can't be more than ~15 minutes drive from there. I will likely be working in Amherst, MA and would like to minimize my commute time and mileage as much as possible while still living within ~15 minutes of the UConn Health Center.

With that in mind, where would be the best place(s) to look for a safe, family-friendly area (not worried about schools at this point).
Welcome to Connecticut.

If you do live close to the UConn Health Center, you'll have a brutal commute up to Amherst. Google maps has it as over an hour now, and with morning traffic, you'll possibly be looking at 1:15 to 1:30.

Some place like Newington might work - your spouse can take the back roads to the UConn Health Center, and you'll have easy access to 91 North. Or, if you hear about a traffic backup on 91 North, you can just take the Route 5 North until you're past the traffic.

Plus, it's cheaper than Farmington or West Hartford. That said, I do know a lot of medical types that live in Farmington, or right over the border in West Hartford.

If your spouse could endure a bit more than a 15 minute commute, you could try some towns north of Hartford as well.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
No need to live close to I-84 or even get on it. Get on Farmington Av going west out of WH, puts you right in front of UCHC. It has virtually zero traffic, as this was my commute for several years.
The issue is that they need to live within 15 min of the health center, AND the easiest possible commute to Amherst. Thus they need to live close to the highway, so that the one commuting to Amherst can get right on the highway.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:26 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Being 15 minute to UConn Health Center kind of limits you to a couple of towns. Famrington itself as well as West Hartford, Avon and Simsbury would work. If you lived in Avon or Simsbury you could travel backroads up to Route 20 and catch I-91 in north Windsor. I would not suggest that you live south of Hartford in Newington since that would require you to travel through Hartford to get to Amherst.

As noted knowing a little more like budget, what you expect for that budget and the type of community you like (urban, suburban, rural) would help us steer you in the right direction. Jay

Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
with Farmington or West Hartford, you're also going to have to travel through Hartford, and most likely via 84. With most of Newington, you can avoid 84 and have the option of taking 15 north through Hartford if there is an accident on 91 around Hartford.

When I worked in Springfield and lived in Newington, a co-worker of mine commuted from Avon, and I would consistently beat him into work in the morning, and also back home at night. He took the back roads through Simsbury and picked up 91 north of Hartford. (Because of the nature of our jobs, we'd both have to log back into the company network when we got home at night, so we'd both know when the other person signed on, and he'd make a comment to me the 3 or 4 times he beat me home over two years.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut