U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,850,251 times

Advertisements

Ignoring price, West Hartford and Farmington do have better schools and higher end shopping than Manchester/Vernon, but not to the extent of how much the Property values in West Hartford exceed Manchester.

Take the homes on Lake ave via Tunnel Road off I384
You can buy a 5-bedroom modern high tech amenity 2-story family house for 350K
And the home is yet on a scenic road through hilly terrain, 15 minutes from Hartford, 20 minutes from West Hartford

Would cost 1.4 million in West Hartford
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 AM

8,778 posts, read 18,129,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Ignoring price, West Hartford and Farmington do have better schools and higher end shopping than Manchester/Vernon, but not to the extent of how much the Property values in West Hartford exceed Manchester.

Take the homes on Lake ave via Tunnel Road off I384
You can buy a 5-bedroom modern high tech amenity 2-story family house for 350K
And the home is yet on a scenic road through hilly terrain, 15 minutes from Hartford, 20 minutes from West Hartford

Would cost 1.4 million in West Hartford
This is the most expensive 5BR. that i see listed in West Hartford. At 1.3M, it is significantly more expensive than the typical 5BR. listing in West Hartford. I see seven 5BR. listings in WH for <380K. I think you might want to look at the prices a little more carefully.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:04 AM

4,638 posts, read 5,169,341 times
location, location, location.

West Hartford has excellent schools, has long been a desirable location and there is not a lot of "new" housing in town. Plus, having grown up in the Hartford area, with the exception of Glastonbury, west of the river has generally been considered more desirable overall. ("Oh, she's an 'east of the river' girl" -(or he's an east of the river boy))

However, with the growth of towns like South Windsor, Ellington, Tolland, Hebron and Marlborough, it's changing, but the image is changing slowly.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:50 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,850,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
location, location, location.

West Hartford has excellent schools, has long been a desirable location and there is not a lot of "new" housing in town. Plus, having grown up in the Hartford area, with the exception of Glastonbury, west of the river has generally been considered more desirable overall. ("Oh, she's an 'east of the river' girl" -(or he's an east of the river boy))

However, with the growth of towns like South Windsor, Ellington, Tolland, Hebron and Marlborough, it's changing, but the image is changing slowly.
So why not live East of the River, drive over the bridge and hang out on the west side of the river and do everything there and at the end of the day, drive over a bridge and sleep in your spacious bed ,,,,

Too hard to go over a bridge I guess

Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 AM

5,908 posts, read 5,461,497 times
Because Manchester is becoming New Britain. There are gorgeous homes in New Britain and Hartford, but they're worth much, much less than a similar house in adjacent towns, such as West Hartford and Farmington. It's because of the demographics of the town, which is sensitive-speak for it's because of who lives there.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 10,372 times
I think a better question is why are property values so high in West Hartford? The houses are extremely old and most of the ones I've done work in have been built with shoddy craftmanship. The housing market is still not very good, which is probably why the home you're looking at is at that price. I live in Manchester, and I don't think it's like New Britain. Yes the demographics are rapidly changing, but there are no gang problems that I hear of.

141 Knollwood Rd, Manchester, CT 06042 is For Sale - Zillow Take this house for example. Its nearby where I live. Nice neighborhood, safe, and it's a good location. Almost 9 years ago they bought it for $60k more than its worth. My grandparents house in Enfield just got appraised for $160k on Bridge LN. It's about $100k less than I thought it would be. The housing market is just terrible. I don't even like living in CT, and even I must admit, Manchester is not a bad town. I simply cannot stand another winter.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:16 PM

691 posts, read 1,035,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Because Manchester is becoming New Britain. There are gorgeous homes in New Britain and Hartford, but they're worth much, much less than a similar house in adjacent towns, such as West Hartford and Farmington. It's because of the demographics of the town, which is sensitive-speak for it's because of who lives there.
C'mon, New Britian? Seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me. By and large, the town is okay. No, I would not send kids to the public schools (aside from a couple of the elementary schools..), but the overwhelming majority of the town is safe. It's a decent town in many regards (proximity to everything, great highway access, all the retail one could possibly want)--but only for those either without kids or with the willingnes & ability to pay private school tuition.

I do agree that West Hartford is absurdly overpriced. The housing stock is awful, and your neighbors are right on top of you. More so than any other town in the Hartford metro, WH reminds me of lower-FFC and Long Island in terms of the rat race mentality, traffic, and population density.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:02 PM

5,908 posts, read 5,461,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
C'mon, New Britian? Seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me. By and large, the town is okay. No, I would not send kids to the public schools (aside from a couple of the elementary schools..), but the overwhelming majority of the town is safe. It's a decent town in many regards (proximity to everything, great highway access, all the retail one could possibly want)--but only for those either without kids or with the willingnes & ability to pay private school tuition.

I do agree that West Hartford is absurdly overpriced. The housing stock is awful, and your neighbors are right on top of you. More so than any other town in the Hartford metro, WH reminds me of lower-FFC and Long Island in terms of the rat race mentality, traffic, and population density.
Again, it's because of who lives there. I doubt that Manchester spends less per pupil than West Hartford, and I bet the teachers are just as good. People want to live in West Hartford, with its aging housing stock, because of who already lives there and who already sends their children to school there - namely, educated, tolerant people who value education, so they make sure their kids behave well in school, and do their homework. So even though West Hartford spends less than average per pupil, and has over thirty percent minority population, it still has a decent school system. Hence, people want to live there, especially people who want their children to grow up going to school with kids of all different races and backgrounds.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:14 PM

4,638 posts, read 5,169,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Again, it's because of who lives there. I doubt that Manchester spends less per pupil than West Hartford, and I bet the teachers are just as good. People want to live in West Hartford, with its aging housing stock, because of who already lives there and who already sends their children to school there - namely, educated, tolerant people who value education, so they make sure their kids behave well in school, and do their homework. So even though West Hartford spends less than average per pupil, and has over thirty percent minority population, it still has a decent school system. Hence, people want to live there, especially people who want their children to grow up going to school with kids of all different races and backgrounds.
A lot of people like being close to their neighbors. Not everybody for sure - FFC has a lot of towns with 2 acre zoning - but, some people like that. And, I know more than a few people that like older homes - in their eyes, if the home has been around for 40-60 years and been maintained well, it's proven itself pretty sturdy over the long haul.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM

30,760 posts, read 48,323,589 times
Please stick to the topic of the OP which is Manchester, not Hartford. There are other threads available to discuss that topic. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut