Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,061 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are considering the potential of moving from Lower Westchester to Westport. We have 2 small children (pre-Kindergarten). We have heard great things about Westport and we want to begin to explore the area over the next several months.

Can anyone give an overview of the different areas/neighborhoods within Westport and the pros/cons of living in the various neighborhoods? Our price range would likely be in the $1.3 - $1.5M range. We would like to balance quality/size of house/lot size with proximty to downtown/train/beach (if this balance is possible in Westport in our price range). We would definitely like a "walkable" neighborhood if possible. Also, any thoughts on the relative strength of the various elementary schools and middle schools would be great (if there are any notable differences).

Also, any suggestions for points of interest to explore as part of "Westport 101" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 02:22 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
hmd376 - Westport is beautiful town and there really are not any bad areas so to speak. You should note though that the train station is not located in downtown Westport but is located in the village of Saugutuck which is about a mile to the south. Saugatuck has a few shops and restaurants while downtown has a lot more plus the library and YMCA. You should know that I-95 goes through Saugatuck so if you buy a home near there be aware of the hgihway noise issues. The schools in Westport are excellent and there is little difference in curriculum between different schools, so I would not worry as much about which school your kids will go to than finding a home that meets your needs. Good luck, Jay

Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,061 times
Default RE: Westport 101

Thanks Jay.

Do you know if any of the neighborhood areas are more "walkable" to shops/points of interest? We currently live in a village-type community with the advantages of walking to restaurants/shops/etc. However, it comes with a high price and VERY small lot sizes for the houses.

I was wondering whether Westport had any areas that allowed you to walk to certain shops/restaurants/etc., but with houses that have decent size lots (i.e., .5 to .75 acres).

Thanks

Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
There are homes within walking distance of Westport Center and Saugatuck. They will be pricey and I am not sure they will be to your liking since they will be older and on smaller lots. The selection will be limited and they usually sell quickly if they are reasonably priced. Usually the real estate ad will note that they are within walking distance of town or the train station. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 22,369 times
Hi hmd376: I'm not sure if you're still considering Westport, but I'd be happy to fill you in on neighborhoods. I've lived here 15 years and know the neighborhoods and schools well. I also work in real estate and have helped many New Yorkers settle into Westport and surrounding towns. Let me know if I can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut