Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:11 PM

95 posts, read 110,908 times

Advertisements

Bradley airport 1% busier in 2013 | HartfordBusiness.com

I noticed this airport grows year by year. Newer airlines such as Delta and Jetblue are adding flights. However, a lot of other airlines are hesitating to go into the bigger "profit zones" such as JFK, LGA, EWR, and Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:03 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
I for one would LOVE to see Bradley better marketed to the region, which should lead to expansion of flights over time. There is a potentially huge area to draw from (FFC, western MA, southern VT, even RI). I see billboards in the Boston metro promoting the use of TF Green & Manchester, for example.

Some west coast nonstops would be great, but in the short term the choices could get worse with United's elimination of the Cleveland hub (and flights from there to Bradley), and the inevitable consolidation from the American/USAirways merger next year.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I for one would LOVE to see Bradley better marketed to the region, which should lead to expansion of flights over time. There is a potentially huge area to draw from (FFC, western MA, southern VT, even RI). I see billboards in the Boston metro promoting the use of TF Green & Manchester, for example.

Some west coast nonstops would be great, but in the short term the choices could get worse with United's elimination of the Cleveland hub (and flights from there to Bradley), and the inevitable consolidation from the American/USAirways merger next year.
The only problem is Hartford is 2 hours away from two of three of the world's largest airports. JFK has more international traffic than any airport in North America; second in the world behind London. JFK is also a hub of Jetblue, American, and Delta. Newark Airport is the 3rd largest hub for United. Boston is also an airport that has a big competition. Jetblue and Cape Air have hubs in Boston, and Delta, United, and American have a lot of flights there. People in lower FFC such as Norwalk and Stamford will probably use NYC Airports because those are closer than Hartford. A lot of airlines fly into JFK and Boston because the competition is so high. I doubt Hartford will ever become a major hub.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_the_dinosaur View Post
The only problem is Hartford is 2 hours away from two of three of the world's largest airports. JFK has more international traffic than any airport in North America; second in the world behind London. JFK is also a hub of Jetblue, American, and Delta. Newark Airport is the 3rd largest hub for United. Boston is also an airport that has a big competition. Jetblue and Cape Air have hubs in Boston, and Delta, United, and American have a lot of flights there. People in lower FFC such as Norwalk and Stamford will probably use NYC Airports because those are closer than Hartford. A lot of airlines fly into JFK and Boston because the competition is so high. I doubt Hartford will ever become a major hub.
Hartford?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_the_dinosaur View Post
Hub is probably overstating it. In fact, it would not be in our interests for BDL to become a hub, because it has been shown that competition gets reduced and fares go up. I do think that BDL could do a lot better regional marketing. For years it was run by the CT DOT which explains why it didn't happen.

Agree with the NYC airports being physically close, but I gotta believe it's such a hassle to get there if you live in FFC that an alternative (comparably priced) would be attractive.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 AM

691 posts, read 1,149,769 times
1% seems more like random chance than significant growth.

Either way...I like BDL exactly like it is--namely, hassle-free as a regional airport for the mid-sized New Haven-Hartford-Springfield metro.

I can arrive an hour before my flight, park for $6 per day, and get through TSA in 10 minutes. There's even free wi-fi and charging stations while I'm waiting to board my flight.

So I'll gladly pay the extra 10-15% per ticket that usually comes with flying out of BDL, as opposed to one of the NYC aiports to avoid the headaches and stress. Besides, with what I save on parking, the total cost is perhaps 5% more.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:27 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

No way, I like being the only one there early in the morning! Actually, Stuart has been my favorite airport lately.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
No way, I like being the only one there early in the morning! Actually, Stuart has been my favorite airport lately.
Don't worry, there's lots of excess capacity. For a while they had two checkpoints open (not anymore)...but they can more than accommodate extra travelers!

Old 03-16-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Hartford?
the NYC and Boston airports have hubs. Not Hartford.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
If Hartford does expand, more companies will move to Hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut