Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:22 AM

21,535 posts, read 27,777,238 times

Advertisements

I actually don't think our roads are that bad. At least not after traveling through the NYC area, as well as Rhode Island regularly. Our roads are far superior to those.

Also, I was in San Francisco recently, and those roads were pretty well beat up. Although PCH was beautifully paved.

And yes, I went through Detroit and thought my car was going to break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:23 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,471,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
One thing I would love if CT did was improve the signs! Further south (not sure where it starts, but all the highways I traveled on in Florida) have lights on the exits so you can see them better.

Below is an image, and you can see the lights that are below the sign. Once it's dusk, they turn on and it makes the signs much more visible.

http://www.aaroads.com/southeast/flo...xit_270_05.jpg
That is specifically done in Fl to deal with all the older drivers with very poor vision. Instead of taking blind people off the road in Florida they make the signs 5 x more visible for them.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM

34,682 posts, read 56,465,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
That is specifically done in Fl to deal with all the older drivers with very poor vision. Instead of taking blind people off the road in Florida they make the signs 5 x more visible for them.
Few state illuminate signs any more. They use to do it years ago when the signs were painted with flat non-reflective paint. Modern signs are reflective so the light from headlights is enough to clearly see the sign. Jay

Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I actually don't think our roads are that bad. At least not after traveling through the NYC area, as well as Rhode Island regularly. Our roads are far superior to those.

Also, I was in San Francisco recently, and those roads were pretty well beat up. Although PCH was beautifully paved.

And yes, I went through Detroit and thought my car was going to break.
You don't have to go that far. Have you been up I-91 in western Massachusetts recently? The pavement through Springfield is awful, worst than anything I have seen here. And there is a dip in the northbound road by the bridge over the Greenfield River in Greenfield that is just short of causing a driver to lose control. I can't believe they have not fixed that. It has been getting worse and worse for several years now. I am concerned it is related to a problem on the bridge. I say a little pray everytime I drive over it. Jay

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM

3,482 posts, read 9,383,054 times
I think anywhere that goes through a freeze/thaw cycle has crappy roads for the most part. Every state just likes to think they're special with the "worst of the worst" roads. For the most part, Connecticut is no different than Massachusetts or NY. I just drove the length of I-88 in NY last weekend. Talk about a crapshow. I second the Springfield, MA complaints, however I am keeping my fingers crossed that the ongoing construction in the area will eventually include a full repaving.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I think anywhere that goes through a freeze/thaw cycle has crappy roads for the most part. Every state just likes to think they're special with the "worst of the worst" roads. For the most part, Connecticut is no different than Massachusetts or NY. I just drove the length of I-88 in NY last weekend. Talk about a crapshow. I second the Springfield, MA complaints, however I am keeping my fingers crossed that the ongoing construction in the area will eventually include a full repaving.
The construction is further north in Holyoke, not downtown Springfield. It does not look like they are getting ready to repave anytime soon but I could be wrong. Jay

Old 09-09-2014, 03:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,443,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post

I know I've seen it in the southern states as well though, as far north (or south, how you look at it) as VA. I did a random google search and saw some exit signs w/ lights in IA, ND and WA state.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:16 PM

691 posts, read 1,144,160 times
I-91 in Western Mass is pretty terrible...but there are definitely worse roads in CT. How about pretty much the entire section of I-84 from NY all the way to East Hartford...way too narrow, left-hand exits, and too few truck climbing lanes for the massive truck volume it carries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You don't have to go that far. Have you been up I-91 in western Massachusetts recently? The pavement through Springfield is awful, worst than anything I have seen here. And there is a dip in the northbound road by the bridge over the Greenfield River in Greenfield that is just short of causing a driver to lose control. I can't believe they have not fixed that. It has been getting worse and worse for several years now. I am concerned it is related to a problem on the bridge. I say a little pray everytime I drive over it. Jay

Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
I-91 in Western Mass is pretty terrible...but there are definitely worse roads in CT. How about pretty much the entire section of I-84 from NY all the way to East Hartford...way too narrow, left-hand exits, and too few truck climbing lanes for the massive truck volume it carries.
The things you are describing on I-84 are not the condition of the roadway but have to do with the function of it. The pavement and driving surface on that section is generally good. It can be argued whether or not the entire length you mention is functionally sufficent or not but that is not what I am talking about.

Plus the section of I-84 you mention is not like the section of I-91 in western Massachusetts which goes through one major city and then a couple of larger towns before becoming sort of rural. To make a fairer comparision, I would suggest looking at I-84 from West Hartford to the Massachusetts border which is in much better condition. Jay

Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,787,169 times
If your on I-291 west in MA and join I-91 south (you merge into the left lane) that is a horrendous stretch. It's been this way for years and I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet.

I said it before on this thread, but Wethersfield Ave in Hartford is horrendous too. It's been this way for at least 10 years and I find it insulting that Hartford seems to have found money for a baseball stadium, but can't pave the roads.

The road that circles the New Britain reservoir is horrendous too, but that road probably doesn't receive a lot of traffic. It can be a nice shortcut to Southington and or Berlin.

One positive is RT 20 around the Barkhamstead reservoir in Northern CT has been repaved. I drove it a couple weeks ago. Previously, it was like an obstacle course dodging potholes.

On a side note I drove to Chicago a couple years ago and once you reach Ohio the roads are pretty good. Not sure what's up with CT/MA/RI but other states seem to be doing a better job. These midwestern states have similar weather, but perhaps less snow?

If your curious you can believe the hype regarding Gary, IN too. That is the biggest pile of junk I've ever seen. East Chicago, IN is similar too. Hard to believe places like this exist in America.

Last edited by MrGompers; 09-10-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut