Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,326 times

Advertisements

hello,
I'm expecting to move to Connecticut. I'll be working at Wilton, CT. I've never lived in CT before and know nothing about it.
What concerned me is to find a GREAT (private or public) school form my kids who are in the elementary stage now. I don't mind living up to 60 mins far from CT. I'll be renting initially.

Can you please help me identifying (1) best school districts, (2) best private of public elementary schools, (3) difference between public and private schools in CT?
thanks,
T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,700 times
Wilton, CT is a good place for schools and living. Any of the surrounding towns are really pretty; Weston, Westport, Redding, Norwalk is a bit more industrial, but all in all they are excellent. I don't know what the prices are in Wilton, but they are fairly high in Weston and Westport (but I don't know where you are coming from, so they could look like bargains to you!) Good Luck in your move.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:22 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
First - welcome to Connecticut. You're moving to a very expensive area of the country.

Wilton's public schools are outstanding, as are neighboring Westport's schools. Also nearby, Weston is also very highly rated. Wilton is somewhat rural in nature, and most homes have 2 acre minimum zoning there. Weston is even more rural than Wilton, and also is a smaller town. Westport is bigger than both combined, has more amenities in terms of shopping and restaurants, and is supposed to be more artsy than Wilton or Weston. Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward lived there for years, as did Martha Stewart. Top students in all three towns will have their choice of elite universities. However, all three towns are very expensive places to live.

Nearby is Fairfield is a small city/large town with close to 60,000 people. You'll have more economic diversity in Fairfield, but it is still pretty upscale and the public schools are also very good here as well. You'll have a lot more in terms of shopping, restaurants, etc in Fairfield. Easton & Redding are also nearby and share excellent public schools, but are also a bit more rural - more like Weston.

Norwalk is also right nearby, and is a small city with (I think) around 85,000 people. The schools here are not rated nearly as highly, but south Norwalk is a pretty trendy/hip area these days.

On the other side of Norwalk are two even more expensive suburbs in New Canaan and Darien. Both towns have outstanding public schools, and have the advantage of being right next to Stamford, and an easier trip to NYC than Wilton, Westport or Weston.

Somebody else would have to chime in on private schools in the area, but with so many towns with outstanding public schools around, I would only send my kids to private schools if they had special needs or needed a less competitive atmosphere.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Where are you from if you don't mind answering? Your sentence syntax indicates you are not a native speaker of American English. Your question about difference between public & private also indicates you are not American.

Will you also be looking for a particular type of community of people of similar culture to you ? That may help narrow your choices.

Public schools in America are funded and run by each individual local government. Your taxes pay for them. Private schools are just that- owned and managed by groups not public. Many are very selective about who gets in. Public schools do not cost you anything in general. Private schools require you pay tuition, often very high.

You do not want to commute an hour to Wilton from wherever you live. You're moving to an area with some of the worst traffic in the country. The closer you can live to work, the better off you will be.

Public schools in and around Wilton, are ,for the most part excellent. You can save yourself money and safely and confidently send your children to public schools.

Wilton, Ridgefield, Redding, Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Westport, Weston, Fairfield all have excellent schools. Your housing budget and what you expect to get for that budget may help decide where to look to live.

Welcome to Connecticut

Old 03-16-2014, 06:16 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
I feel like this question depends largely on your budget, and the towns mentioned above are some of the best in the state, but extremely expensive to live in. If you are willing to compromise a bit, I want to nominate Brookfield, New Fairfield, and Bethel as well. Commute shouldn't be too bad, housing is great, and schools are amazing. Brookfield outta the three, if you had to pick one.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
I feel like this question depends largely on your budget, and the towns mentioned above are some of the best in the state, but extremely expensive to live in. If you are willing to compromise a bit, I want to nominate Brookfield, New Fairfield, and Bethel as well. Commute shouldn't be too bad, housing is great, and schools are amazing. Brookfield outta the three, if you had to pick one.
I live in & love New Fairfield, but for your commute, Brookfield or Bethel would be easier. NF wouldn't be a terrible commute, but it will be a longer.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Budget? Housing needs? Impossible to answer without knowing that.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,326 times
Thank you all for the great feed backs! I'm coming form Arizona, and yes I'm not american this why I don't have insight about differences between private and public schools. I thought private schools are generally better. A relevant question, is how to find rankings for private schools. US News ranks public schools but not private ones.

I have no preference for specific community. In fact I'd love to get to know new people and cultures.

I'm willing to spend up to 4500$/month for a rent + school for one kid expenses. I'm looking for 2~3 bed room small house.

Again I'm really impressed from the feed backs!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:42 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I would just start by renting right in Wilton. Schools are excellent. No need for private school, public is more than good.

You can then get to know the rest of the area from there and see where it is you want to settle.

The area is much more expensive than Arizona, but public schools will be better.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
x 2 on what Stylo just said. Wilton is a wonderful town. You can rent right in town, schools are great. You'll have no trouble renting within your budget. Really, there is no reason to be going through the expense of private schools.

Make your life easy. Live in the town in which you work- you'll be able to see your child so much more. Connecticut will be very different than Arizona. Rent for a year and give yourself time to look around and explore before making a buying decision should you decide to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut