Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
That's too bad, they should definitely be fining people driving around with weed in their cars. It's indistinguishable from driving around with an open container.
It is certainly distinguishable. An OPEN container means its being consumed. If marijuana is being consumed there is smoke. Not a green, leafy substance in a CLOSED container.

Should DUI and and open container laws pertain to both? Yes. Should a closed container of marijuana be treated the same as a "closed" container of alcohol that is not being consumed while operating a MV? Yes as well. BOTH can be transported and used in a safe manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 AM

468 posts, read 708,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
It is certainly distinguishable. An OPEN container means its being consumed. If marijuana is being consumed there is smoke. Not a green, leafy substance in a CLOSED container.

Should DUI and and open container laws pertain to both? Yes. Should a closed container of marijuana be treated the same as a "closed" container of alcohol that is not being consumed while operating a MV? Yes as well. BOTH can be transported and used in a safe manner.
Having an open container in your car doesn't mean that you're in the process of consuming the alcohol located within the open container. It means someone opened the container at one point, and then placed it in a car. Period. There's a legal presumption that attaches to the fact that it's open in your car, which is that you were drinking it. But that's not necessarily reality. I'd agree that weed in a completely sealed, un-re-sealable container should be treated like an unopened beer. Otherwise, the same legal presumption we attach to open containers of alcohol should apply.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 PM

137 posts, read 199,652 times
I hope not, but I believe they will eventually. People have been pushing for it here for some time now and they've tried different angles. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I honestly don't think legalizing pot is what this country needs right now.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,311 times
Weed has no where near the mind altering effect that alcohol does. Putting it in the same DUI category as alcohol is a little harsh.

What about the people that take their pill medications? the mood stabilizers and pain killers? should they get DUIS because they are operating under that influence?

Being high while driving helps me curb aggression on the road, enables me to relax in traffic, allows me to brush off the idiot on his cell phone as he passes me on the right( instead of just getting mad at it), allows me to drive calmly... That doesnt mean I do it all the time in large quantities. Just stating my experiences in the past.

Ive lived these experiences, unlike some who assume things and condemn something they know nothing about (not attacking anyone in this thread)

A cell phone is ten times deadlier than a joint on the road..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut