Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times

Advertisements

So I learned a lesson, the towns around here are crooks. I paid my car taxes in town A last year for the first half, then moved in June and changed my address with the DMV. Awaited a bill from my new town, never got one. Then thankfully the people who now live at my old address got me these delinquent tax notices that were being sent and not forwarded to my new address.

I call up town A and get the explanation that regardless of where or when you move they do not work in partial years, just full. So basically regardless of where you move and when you still have to pay their taxes The lady tells me that it is based on where I lived in October of 202! Almost a full year before I moved! I then politely ask if they can remove the delinquency or interest and I get the "no, you had your payment coupons". Well yeah, but I moved so why logically would I pay car tax for a town I didn't live in. I ended up hanging up the phone before I let out some frustrated words. Proceeded to call my new town and thankfully I am on there list for this upcoming year.

It's a rant I know but a joke of a system that they cannot function on half years at the least. Next time don't send me two coupons, just give me one bill and till July to pay it in full. No need for this split year dues crap. End rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:20 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,166 times
I agree; our local tax system is FUBAR and there's little "customer service" (though I'd imagine that there are appeal rights). If you don't me asking, which town is the one hassling you?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I believe car taxes are in arrears, meaning you pay the tax for the previous year, not the year you are in. That is why you had to pay for the previous year. It sounds stupid and can be frustrating but that is the way it works. Jay

Old 04-04-2014, 08:57 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
FWIW, CT cities and towns used to do partial year tax bills for vehicles. I don't know when or why they changed this policy. Also, most towns used to let you pay your car taxes in 2 installments (like RE taxes) if your bill was over $300. They stopped doing that too.

When I moved a couple years ago my closing date was on 9-30. The grand list year starts on 10-01. I received a tax bill for my car from the city (I moved from) altho I didn't live there as of 10-01. I went to the assesor's office and they wouldn't believe me. They even looked up the closing date on the RE records and wouldn't accept that. They wanted me to give them a receipt for the moving truck I rented. (they were no longer in business, so not possible)

In the end I just paid the tax bill, since the difference between the old city and new city was about $40. What was frustrating was that there was no one else to speak to, no supervisor or manager. What the person at the window told me was final as far as they were concerned.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:03 AM

The town was East Haven. A messed up town to begin with. I was peeved because I had to pay for a much higher mil rate than I am in now and the person on the phone just kept pushing that I had my coupons and they did their duty so it was on me. I even tried to plea (politely that is) that I moved and had no forwarded delinquency notices so even if they could reduce it to one instead of several. I ended up paying an additional $30 which is not the problem, it's the principle. Such a stuck up town needs every dollar to support the feeders I guess.

Oh well, it was worth paying to get them off my back. Stay away from EH, I'll never be back.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
I think I've had an issue with car taxes just about every time I've moved over the years. When we moved from Avon to East Lyme, I sent in a change of address form to DMV. For some reason, they only processed the change of address for my car and not my wife's car, even though the form allows you up to four vehicles at once. So, we got a car tax bill from East Lyme for my car, but not one for my wife's car. We were already past the 6 month address forwarding time period, so I had to call the Avon tax collector and explain the situation.

Luckily, they were agreeable and forwarded the information on to East Lyme, who issued us a new tax bill. And, neither town charged us interest, which shocked me.

(I also sent an angry email to the head of DMV, and she apologized and explained why they could not do it electronically, though I forgot the exact reason why... And, I'm sure it was somebody on her staff that actually wrote the apology.)

Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Personal property taxes are extremely frustrating, and you certainly can't expect any customer service. Tax collectors are ruthless, we did an appeal over personal property once, and got nowhere despite documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
FWIW, CT cities and towns used to do partial year tax bills for vehicles. I don't know when or why they changed this policy. Also, most towns used to let you pay your car taxes in 2 installments (like RE taxes) if your bill was over $300. They stopped doing that too.
Maybe it's it's a town-by-town policy, we always pay our car taxes twice a year.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Yes. Arrears, yes prorated but partial still owed to each town. I actually got my SIL's bill last year from Monroe, I've never lived in the same town as her , have never signed any notes on her behalf, but Monroe sent me her bill anyway- just based on last name and a phone book. Yes that was very aggravating. Tax offices aren't always smart. Lol

Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Maybe it's it's a town-by-town policy, we always pay our car taxes twice a year.
In any town I've lived in, it always depends on how much the total tax bill is. My current bill is $25 and I wouldn't expect that the be halved in any town.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 AM

What's funny is Wallingford pays current/back vs. other towns who pay ahead. I found this out at my closing. So Wallingford has not even sent out 2014 bills yet, when I called they had to route me to the Assessor who has us on the list for this year. But since we pay current/behind with them I won't get the bill for a few more months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut