Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:29 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,085 times

Advertisements

Does anyone has any ideas of parking options in the Town of Fairfield that help me avoid the $6 daily fee? As many might now, Fairfield does not have parking permits available. The wait list is over 3 years. So now I am spending 1200/year to go to work (in addition to the train). I don't pretend to avoid the fee everyday but if I could find alternatives, that would be a huge help. There is a place, don't remember the name but is near Ludlow, something like the Knights of Armor...think costs $3, which is much better but gets full too early. Some people park under the highway bridge off exit 21 but that too gets filled up way before I get there. I can't leave any ealier than 7:30 because I have to put my kid on the bus.
Any ideas appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,918,061 times
ambar371 - Get your name on the parking list for Fairfield Station. The State is constructing a new station off lower Black Rock Turnpike and King's Highway East near Timko Street that will have 1,400 parking spaces. Most likely those spaces will be offered to the town residents on the list. The state will begin construction next year and open by early 2010 (the date keeps changing). Don't have any other suggestions for you. Sorry, Jay

Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Default JayCT/Thanks

JayCT,
Thanks! I am on the list...number 3000...and some hundreds. Hopefully the new train station will move forward without any further delays. That will really help!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:48 PM

28 posts, read 211,300 times
Default Park at Bridgeport

I live in Fairfield and have faced the same dilemma.

It's actually very easy to head north to the bridgeport train station in the morning. The Harbor Yard garage has parking for $45/month, but right now it is full. I just got a spot at the commuter lot right accross from the main entrance to the bridgeport train station for $79/ month. Parking spaces are tight- but it's better than $6 a day.

There are a ton of other commuters there from surrounding areas.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Red face Bridgeport parking

Thanks Anaid.
Believe or not, yesterday I got a call that there was a parking spot available for me in Bridgeport for $45. I decided not to take it. I guess I am an spoiled brat but the $50 I will save a month (the Bridgeport fare is 28 dollars higher) is not worth the trouble. You see, the way I am now, I am closer to my child's middle school and it would be easier to take him if we miss the bus. I am also closer to the Wakeman's in Southport-I have to go there a couple of times a week. I guess when my child is older I will have more flexibility.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:45 AM

28 posts, read 211,300 times
I see. I hope they call me for a $45 spot- I'm on the list.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 27,170 times
Default Bridgeport Parking

I got a spot in the outdoor lot at the Bridgeport train station with 2 weeks. Cost: $35 per month. Beats driving to Stamford.

Call Stanley @ (203) 337-9915 to get on the list.

Tom

Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM

29 posts, read 103,349 times
is there bike parking at fairfield train station?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Yes there are bike racks. I think they are free on a first come, first served. You can call 203.256.3053 (Fairfield Parking Dept.) and ask them more details if you need to.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambar371 View Post
Does anyone has any ideas of parking options in the Town of Fairfield that help me avoid the $6 daily fee? As many might now, Fairfield does not have parking permits available. The wait list is over 3 years. So now I am spending 1200/year to go to work (in addition to the train). I don't pretend to avoid the fee everyday but if I could find alternatives, that would be a huge help. There is a place, don't remember the name but is near Ludlow, something like the Knights of Armor...think costs $3, which is much better but gets full too early. Some people park under the highway bridge off exit 21 but that too gets filled up way before I get there. I can't leave any ealier than 7:30 because I have to put my kid on the bus.
Any ideas appreciated!
It's the Knights of Columbus, just up Unqowa past the train station and those condos, and parking just went up to $4/day. The lot is nearly full for the 6:40 train, and definitely full well before 7:30. With your time schedule and wanting to avoid the $6/day, your best bet is to ask around your neighborhood to see if anyone has a parking pass they arent using but won't give up. It really bugs me that people keep their passes forever and give them to neighbors (because im still another 4 years from my permit), but its their right to do so.

Now, if Fairfield would just require registration of your car's license plate with the tag and put a barcode on it to tie to the owner's car, then I can guarantee the parking list would move faster. With portable scanners the size of a large PDA it would be EASY and inexpensive to set up. And, people wouldn't feel the need to hold onto their permit if the list moved faster than 5+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut