Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:35 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Not if you have a spouse you wish to maintain a relationship with, or children who want to spend some time with you and get to know you.
See-- I think this is all about choices. Americans, on average, spend 34 hours a week watching tv. If you have to work 50 hours a week in a profession you love-- maybe you watch less tv. It's not an either or. One of the reasons my relationship works is that we're both happy outside the relationship. We're doing vital work that we feel has value. Yes, we have less actual time together than most couples, but the time we do have is very high quality.

Again, this is very individual and to pretend any particular situation would be true for everybody is a bit naive.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 AM

146 posts, read 189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
See-- I think this is all about choices. Americans, on average, spend 34 hours a week watching tv. If you have to work 50 hours a week in a profession you love-- maybe you watch less tv. It's not an either or. One of the reasons my relationship works is that we're both happy outside the relationship. We're doing vital work that we feel has value. Yes, we have less actual time together than most couples, but the time we do have is very high quality.

Again, this is very individual and to pretend any particular situation would be true for everybody is a bit naive.
After working 8-10 hours a day and then spending another 1-2 hours in traffic Americans have no other choice as to watch TV and load themselves with alcohol - after such a day one wouldn't have much energy do anything else.
The funny thing us that 8-hour day would have been long obsolete if super riches who actually run all this show were just less greedy and power hungry. People worked 10 hours 2 centuries ago, since that productivity has increased at least 20 times thanks to modern technologies, so we really need to work 3-4 hours at most, but that would not satisfy 0.1% of the nation which wants domination and ever growing profits.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:49 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
After working 8-10 hours a day and then spending another 1-2 hours in traffic Americans have no other choice as to watch TV and load themselves with alcohol - after such a day one wouldn't have much energy do anything else.
The funny thing us that 8-hour day would have been long obsolete if super riches who actually run all this show were just less greedy and power hungry. People worked 10 hours 2 centuries ago, since that productivity has increased at least 20 times thanks to modern technologies, so we really need to work 3-4 hours at most, but that would not satisfy 0.1% of the nation which wants domination and ever growing profits.
Now I think we might be exaggerating a little. Many people DO find satisfaction in their careers and do not expect their careers to be part-time, in that sense it is not simply "exploitation". The issue is what should be a "normal" expectation of one's contribution to society. If we were down to 3 hours/day, plenty of people would be working more or working a 2nd p/t job to get extra money. Most people in a way do want (for themselves) "ever growing profits". The issue is that 0.1% expecting people to work their every waking hour for as little pay as allowed, not that we should only be expected to work 3 hours/day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
We are talking about CT corporate slaves. In CT if you have a family income of roughly $100,000 the silver plan with the deductible before the benefits kick in is approximately $18,000 according to the CT website. That would cover a lot of families working in the corporate world here in CT. There are no subsidies at that income level and it equates to approximately 20% of gross income. Many employers and larger corporations are cutting back on their plans but they still are much more affordable in most cases. I'm not saying to go back to pre-Obamacare status but the cost needs to be more realistic as 20% along with all the other costs of living just isn't doable for most people and it is foreseeable that many employers will use this as an opportunity to get the cost off of their balance sheet and onto that of their employee over the next few years. That coupled with wage stagnation has the potential to result in a lower realized standard of living for the average corporate worker. I'd personally like to see it fixed and provide a Medicare-like coverage for all with corporations and private insurers offering supplemental options.
I like your response, as that is the issue. Once you pass the pay rate where you don't get subsidies (I believe for a family of 4 the max is $94K and the shame is it doesn't vary by metro area), most are probably getting LESS coverage than than had through the exchanges (or at least less coverage vs. what a given price offered in the past). Most who counter me on Obamacare rarely have a better solution and you do, I think the idea of corporations being the main provider of health insurance is a huge accident of face (it was a way to attract returning post-WW II GIs back to the best companies) that is biting us in the fanny and is not done in any other country on earth.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:35 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
As for kidyankee's comment, while I agree its easier to deal with a workweek well beyond 40 hours if its a "passion" of yours (and even a 40 hour workweek can feel grueling if you truly hate the work), I don't think we should be forced to be so one dimensional. What is wrong with wanting to passionately work 40-45 hours/week (to allow for the very occasional time that overtime is really needed) but want to travel, have hobbies, enjoy one's life partner and/or family, etc.
Just because I'm passionate about my job doesn't mean I'll work 20 hours OT weekly. It means I look forward to going, I enjoy being there, and I don't mind working extra hours if I have to because of that. I have no problem traveling, I have a ton of hobbies and spend a great deal of time with my family and friends.

Because I'm happy at work, I'm happy outside of work. I remember when I was miserable at my job, and all I wanted to do was go home and watch TV or sleep. I took steps to change that, instead of complaining. It was a tough change to make, but I was determined.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-20-2014 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-20-2014, 04:47 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
I am heartily sorry for all the time my jobs stole from me when my kids were small.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM

705 posts, read 756,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
All Professions are mostly this way.... Real Estate, Law, Accounting, Engineering, Auto Mechanics, ect.

You either stay current or you get replaced as obsolete.
I doubt that you have to go a week long class with books like 400 pages, with labs.
Not to mention the difficulty of these classes.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
This thread is really off topic for the Connecticut forum so I am closing it. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut