Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl128 View Post
Sort of.

I drive both the Taconic and the Merritt regularly. I reverse commute on the Merritt and leave Westchester at 6 am so I don't usually end up with terrible traffic.

I think the Merritt is much easier to drive than the Taconic. The curves aren't as steep/sharp as the taconic and it feels like the lanes are slightly wider on the Merritt. The Taconic feels very narrow in a lot of spots until you get north of 84 and then I think they are similar.

In the sunshine, I love driving the Merritt when it's empty and I don't feel that way about the Taconic. At night I hate them both because of the oncoming traffic glare
The taconic is beautiful but man do those NY cops have the right spots figured out for a speed trap. I feel like the merrit is much less patrolled for speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:36 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl128 View Post
Sort of.

I drive both the Taconic and the Merritt regularly. I reverse commute on the Merritt and leave Westchester at 6 am so I don't usually end up with terrible traffic.

I think the Merritt is much easier to drive than the Taconic. The curves aren't as steep/sharp as the taconic and it feels like the lanes are slightly wider on the Merritt. The Taconic feels very narrow in a lot of spots until you get north of 84 and then I think they are similar.

In the sunshine, I love driving the Merritt when it's empty and I don't feel that way about the Taconic. At night I hate them both because of the oncoming traffic glare

What I don't like about the Taconic is that in some areas opposing traffic can make a left hand turn across the parkway. I would imagine that has caused some serious accidents.

No left hand turns across the Merrit parkway.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:37 PM

10,093 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
The taconic is beautiful but man do those NY cops have the right spots figured out for a speed trap. I feel like the merrit is much less patrolled for speed.
Its not your perception, because the Merrit is less patrolled. Some sections, such as northbound from the NY-Greenwich border to about the exit for route 7 in Norwalk, is almost always free of cops at all times. Southbound in the same stretch tends to also be free, except that in Greenwich there is a cop from time to time getting ready for the hunt.

If there is one highway that the CT Troopers have their field day is the route 7 expressway in Norwalk. My oh my, the amount of people I have seen fall victim to the troopers prey is so great that I have lost count.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Its not your perception, because the Merrit is less patrolled. Some sections, such as northbound from the NY-Greenwich border to about the exit for route 7 in Norwalk, is almost always free of cops at all times. Southbound in the same stretch tends to also be free, except that in Greenwich there is a cop from time to time getting ready for the hunt.

If there is one highway that the CT Troopers have their field day is the route 7 expressway in Norwalk. My oh my, the amount of people I have seen fall victim to the troopers prey is so great that I have lost count.
There was a cop on that section for 5 hours on Easter morning! went by him at 730am, I was doing the speed limit.. Then at 9am went up to wilton to get grandma, saw him there twice again. Then at noon, saw him again!!

Old 05-07-2014, 05:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
It's the right spot to place troopers so that they can respond to accidents quickly on 95 and the Merritt.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Ah yes, those speeders, and cell phone users, and erratic drivers, are such "victims".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's the right spot to place troopers so that they can respond to accidents quickly on 95 and the Merritt.
Bingo!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
An interstate with 3-6 lanes and hundreds of thousands travelling it. We'll keep shaking our heads until something gets done.

The Norwalk truck fire that's got I-95 SB crawling and reduced to 1 lane.
Truck fire brings I-95 traffic to a crawl - The BlogJam

Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Not really sure what a wider highway or even double decking would do in this case--- the highway would still close for an accident of this magnitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
An interstate with 3-6 lanes and hundreds of thousands travelling it. We'll keep shaking our heads until something gets done.

The Norwalk truck fire that's got I-95 SB crawling and reduced to 1 lane.
Truck fire brings I-95 traffic to a crawl - The BlogJam

Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
I'm So glad I live in the Hartford Metro area and not FFC. While we do have out share of traffic problems, its nothing compared to FFC!!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:24 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday and I won't be on the Merritt again until Monday.
This morning was another epic journey through FFC. Anyone else sit in it with me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut