Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 815 times

Advertisements

There are way, way too many reckless drivers in this small state. It's to the point that there's got to be something that the public-sector can do more about it be it from driving-safety awareness programs, commercials and or fines. I've been to other states across the country, and based upon my experience the drivers aren't as nearly as bad as they are here in New England Region. Out of a month I've seen only 3-4 bad drivers compared here. This state is bed-ridden with terrible drivers.

Here are the most common symptoms witnessed:

-Cutting In front of another car
-Bumper Hogging
-Speeding
-Turning with NO turn-signal on
-Road-Rage/Aggression at stop signs/lights
-Sudden Stop
-DWI

Imagine being a first-time and or young driver and being on the roads in such bad conditions like this. The state's poor job-economy is not helping the situation either. It's causing people to become overly aggressive and creating more of a danger compared to citizens that have been obeying the stop signs and observing the laws since 1997.

I've also seen a particular peak of these behaviors in West Hartford, which is one main reason why cameras are now at local traffic lights. Moms in vans pull out and cut in front of other drivers. The older drivers either drive too fast, or too slow their timing is significantly off. The younger drivers drive like they have no sense and over-speed. The party-goers/drunks are causing more causalities than the oldies and soccer-mommies combined. So many people with pre-washed cars but TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE driving skills.

The DMV would choke if they seen the amount of wreckless drivers on the road in that cesspool.

It's a quagmire in CT and it's mostly because of the abuse of speedsters cutting through just to go to the grocery store. There are a lot of commuters from Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York cutting through or running to take CT Jobs and Houses too.

What needs to be done is more fines and policing in this area without racial profiling involved, particularly down the long road stretch going to ASFD instead of letting locals and cut-through do what they want. It is very dangerous for others I've almost witness a pedestrian almost get ran over crossing the street because of some brat in a car thats too big and too much for them. It was disgusting to see that kid smile behind the wheel with that callous and arrogant look, almost taking the woman's life in his shiny Bentley/convertible brought by mommy or daddy.

I for one, am tired of those who want their right to drink impeding on the rights of others by almost nearly killing their moms, sons and or daughters. There seems to be a subtle but obvious nest-pool of the weirdest bunch over in that area, especially compared EAST of the river where the driving is a bit more sane and the protesters aren't taking up side-walk space around the clock.

The state should bring back the toll-taxes but have it for those coming INTO the state, not out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 05:55 PM

8,816 posts, read 6,146,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
This must be a Connecticut thing, but why is it so difficult to grasp the concept of KEEP RIGHT, EXCEPT TO PASS?

All up and down 95 and the Merritt Parkway I see CT plates camping out in the passing lane, creating massive traffic back ups and all around unsafe driving conditions.

I really wish that the State Police would start ticketing people for left lane camping.

Just yesterday there was some 19 year old kid, doing 55 in the left lane smoking pot in filthy beat up Prius. My respect level for CT went down 50 points after seeing this, as well as all the other clueless locals who still cannot grasp KEEP RIGHT, EXCEPT TO PASS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Ah, yes. One kid in a Prius accurately represents all 3-something million of us...

And FWIW, left lane camping is a HUGE problem in New York as well, especially on the Hutch and Van Wyck. Oh and yes, they usually have New York plates.
I'll back up ughhnyc. Today I drove southbound on I-495 in Massachusetts from Haverhill to Lawrence, a distance of ~10 miles and a road I frequently use. I encountered 4 cars with CT plates and all 4 were hogging the left lane. The only thing worse than left lane hogs are people who travel into another region and hog the left lane. CT drivers are the most arrogant and presumptuous drivers I see in my local area of New England followed closely by NY. As outsiders they should never be in the left lane on Boston area or NH/ME highways.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:59 PM

8,816 posts, read 6,146,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Mass too. Most of the campers I see have Mass or NY plates. CT and NJ do it too, but to a lesser degree.
When I see CT drivers in MA or NH they are always in the left lane. MA drivers do it in MA as well but in their defense MA roads are primarily for MA drivers. If CT drivers want to hog the left lane in CT that is their business and I can respect that, but when they do it in MA or NH it is totally uncalled for.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:41 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,785,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallice View Post
I've also seen a particular peak of these behaviors in West Hartford, which is one main reason why cameras are now at local traffic lights.
I just wanted to point out that traffic enforcement via cameras is currently illegal in CT. Although the Govt seems to bring it up each year for review.

The cameras that you see in West Hartford and other areas are used to control the lights at intersections. I know the intersection of Farmington Ave and North Main St in West Hartford is mostly controlled by these cameras. I've also seen the cameras in New Britain.

I believe the cameras at that intersection in West Hartford were the first to be installed in the state to be used for traffic management.

The cameras are a great improvement over the traditional "wires in the road" method of traffic management.
It also helps with lighter vehicles like a motorcycle or bicycle that aren't heavy enough to trip the wires in the road.

If you want to see traffic camera's being used for enforcement they are all over Long Island.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:21 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,591,220 times
You could use a chip in car's. Then if anyone goes 15 MPH on CT roads more than 5 minutes automatic ticket is sent to their mailbox via the chip. Then if anyone is 2 feet behind someone longer than a minute while driving over 10 MPH again another ticket sent via the monitoring by the chip. Could be used at stop signs for driving through them, illegal turns on right on red's, and going through a red light.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:41 PM

277 posts, read 339,919 times
Just wanted to address the question in the thread title...YES!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 12:46 AM

54 posts, read 79,417 times
Presuming they're traveling at the speed limit, I don't see how you could argue that they're slowing down traffic since, by law, nobody is allowed to be going faster than they are. I don't get the argument that somebody should be in the slow lane even when they're going faster than the legal limit. Who are they making space for? People breaking the law even more than they are?

Old 01-07-2016, 07:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,646,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucareshokiesrul View Post
Presuming they're traveling at the speed limit, I don't see how you could argue that they're slowing down traffic since, by law, nobody is allowed to be going faster than they are. I don't get the argument that somebody should be in the slow lane even when they're going faster than the legal limit. Who are they making space for? People breaking the law even more than they are?
The passing lane is for passing. That is the law in Connecticut. Regardless of what speed you want to drive, over or under or exactly at the speed limit, you don't belong in the passing lane unless you are in the process of passing someone on your right.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:02 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,599,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The passing lane is for passing. That is the law in Connecticut. Regardless of what speed you want to drive, over or under or exactly at the speed limit, you don't belong in the passing lane unless you are in the process of passing someone on your right.
If a car in the left lane is passing slower traffic to the right then there is nothing illegal about staying there. Honestly I rarely if ever see a slow driver in the left lane. Typically traffic just increases to the point where the left lane is filled with drivers going slightly faster than other lanes. This is not illegal.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:30 AM

684 posts, read 807,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
If a car in the left lane is passing slower traffic to the right then there is nothing illegal about staying there. Honestly I rarely if ever see a slow driver in the left lane. Typically traffic just increases to the point where the left lane is filled with drivers going slightly faster than other lanes. This is not illegal.
And thats fine, but as soon as you pass cars you need to merge back to the right lane. Thats the law, left lane for passing only. I see so many idiots that are in the left lane passing but then remain in the left lane and dont budge.

I would say the NY drivers are the worse by the tapan zee area and then CT drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut