Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:46 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I guess you aren't interested in actually reading what people write. I'll summarize my own post:

The people in the right lane are entering from the road, to the on-ramp, to the highway. They are NOT going the speed limit yet. They're going VERY SLOW and in the process of speeding up to get to the speed limit.

I want to go the speed limit (or higher, sure - but at the very least, the speed limit, which I am allowed to do, by law). In order to do that, I need to get into the left lane - the passing lane - and pass those people coming onto the highway at slow speeds.

I cannot pass those people if the person in the left lane slows down. Now, I'm stuck in the passing lane, going slow, and the people in the right lane have already sped up, and are now passing me and that guy, on the right. Which they're not supposed to do. But THEY have no choice either, because this idiot in front of me is choosing to ignore the fact that he is in the PASSING lane, and comply with the expected road ettiquette - which is to pass people on the left and when you're done passing them, get back over to the right.

And this happens daily.
I read your post perfectly fine. Are you saying though that you frequently come across people going slower than the legal speed limit in the left lane?

I've lived in CT for a very long time, it's almost always the exact opposite. In my area on Rt 8, I-84, I-91, and I-95, I have yet to have frequent problems with people going less than the speed limit in the left lane or in the right for that matter.

If you can't get over to the right, then you just need to wait until you can. It's really not that difficult!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Except, it's legal to switch lanes and pass and it's not legal to sit in the left lane. As a motorist, if you're not passing anyone, it's your duty to travel right - end of story.
It's also illegal to speed, my point still stands.

Depending on how you make your lane changes, frequent (especially erratic) lane changes are also illegal.

Let's also not forget the commonly associated tail gating as a result of your frustration... Also illegal.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:58 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

Depending on how you make your lane changes, frequent (especially erratic) lane changes are also illegal.

Let's also not forget the commonly associated tail gating as a result of your frustration... Also illegal.
Frequent lane changes are not illegal - at all. That's why the line between lanes isn't solid. If you're changing lanes without using a signal or passing on the right, then you might have a case.

Again - you have zero authority to regulate speed. The fact that you used the words "also illegal" shows you'd prefer to have zero accountability for your questionable actions on the road. As I posted earlier, refusing to move right makes you as bad - or worse - than those going above the speed limit.

People such as yourself will give an excuse for everything, but I digress.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Frequent lane changes are not illegal - at all. That's why the line between lanes isn't solid. If you're changing lanes without using a signal or passing on the right, then you might have a case.

Again - you have zero authority to regulate speed. The fact that you used the words "also illegal" shows you'd prefer to have zero accountability for your questionable actions on the road. As I posted earlier, refusing to move right makes you as bad - or worse - than those going above the speed limit.

People such as yourself will give an excuse for everything, but I digress.
I've already stated earlier that I do not speed excessively or hog the left lane. Despite what you may think, I did add the adjective "erratic". An unsafe lane change or erratic lane change is highly subjective and really just at the discretion of the police, but nonetheless it *can* be deemed illegal.

Again -- you have zero authority to regulate who decides to hog the left lane in the same way I have zero authority to regulate others speed. Unless you're a police officer, there's nothing to talk about here other than futile complaints about other people's driving.

If you're both breaking the law, then there's not much to say. Until you become a police officer, you have no authority.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:50 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,298,093 times
Quote:

So you are proving a valuable point in favor of the opposing side of the argument. Left lane hogging causes numerous other bad driving behaviors. Eliminate left lane hogging and then the tailgating, erratic lane changes, aggression and speeding should decrease as well as an overall reduction in pockets of unnecessary congestion.

Another term for left lane hogging is a rolling roadblock. Years ago I remember reading a story about police somewhere in the midwest making an unauthorized rolling roadblock apparently just for ****s and giggles. They were supposedly disciplined.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
So you are proving a valuable point in favor of the opposing side of the argument. Left lane hogging causes numerous other bad driving behaviors. Eliminate left lane hogging and then the tailgating, erratic lane changes, aggression and speeding should decrease as well as an overall reduction in pockets of unnecessary congestion.

Another term for left lane hogging is a rolling roadblock. Years ago I remember reading a story about police somewhere in the midwest making an unauthorized rolling roadblock apparently just for ****s and giggles. They were supposedly disciplined.
Yup. Most aggression on the highways is caused by people who just flat out won't get out of the way. If people would stay to the right except to pass, all those road-rage people would be able to relax a bit, and stop tailgating and flashing their high-beams and being menaces on the road. This is WHY we have a passing-lane rule. The rule exists to prevent frustration and road rage and rolling roadblocks and tailgating and high-beam-flashing.

You mind your own business, go whatever speed you're going, and if you feel the need to pass someone you move to the left lane, pass them, and when you're done, return to the right lane.

You have to be pretty stupid, selfish, and myopic to not understand the concept. Sadly, stupid, selfish, and myopic are not against the law.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

I never said I agreed with either side of the argument. I am merely pointing out the problem with the complaint. The reality is, unless people move over (they won't) then you'll just need to get used to it. The only solution is heavily amped up police enforcement.

I don't believe that cops really do anything about left lane hogs anyway... It seems they've accepted this same reality. Change the perception, increase the enforcement, or live with it, or move to the desert.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I never said I agreed with either side of the argument. I am merely pointing out the problem with the complaint. The reality is, unless people move over (they won't) then you'll just need to get used to it. The only solution is heavily amped up police enforcement.

I don't believe that cops really do anything about left lane hogs anyway... It seems they've accepted this same reality. Change the perception, increase the enforcement, or live with it, or move to the desert.
I've posted this earlier in this thread (I think it was here), but when an officer is cruising down the highway, nobody hogs the left lane. Everyone moves right and drives like an angel. Once the officer passes or exits, poor driving habits commence. When an officer is stationary observing traffic from, say, the median, it's nearly impossible to know who is cruising left at 60. The only solution is to increase the amount of unmarked cruisers. It's difficult to do as the manpower isn't there, and hiring more troopers than normal isn't on our governor's to do list, unfortunately.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I've posted this earlier in this thread (I think it was here), but when an officer is cruising down the highway, nobody hogs the left lane. Everyone moves right and drives like an angel. Once the officer passes or exits, poor driving habits commence. When an officer is stationary observing traffic from, say, the median, it's nearly impossible to know who is cruising left at 60. The only solution is to increase the amount of unmarked cruisers. It's difficult to do as the manpower isn't there, and hiring more troopers than normal isn't on our governor's to do list, unfortunately.
It's an understandable limitation. I can only speak from the numerous times I've watched cops pass on by while people hang out in the left lane.

Then again, I can't know whether or not the officer has another task at hand or not, so it's a tough call really. I like the undercover idea though!

Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
It's an understandable limitation. I can only speak from the numerous times I've watched cops pass on by while people hang out in the left lane.

Then again, I can't know whether or not the officer has another task at hand or not, so it's a tough call really. I like the undercover idea though!
Re: another task - it's very true. A lot of times when people say "I saw x, y, z happen and the cop did nothing", there's usually a person more in need of their services a few miles down the road. A lot of people don't get that. Also keep in mind, many troopers are off duty driving with their families in the car while on the road, heading to the gym, out to eat or to a family member's house for a gathering.

The undercover idea is great and is being adopted more and more by municipalities and states for the reasons I stated above. You've got to admit, it's nice how pleasant everyone drives on the road when a cop is nearby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut