Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,182 times

Advertisements

Interesting data, but hard to interpret, which means everyone will interpret it to fit their own notions.

Like, the "why" for various states is very different. One trend is that it seems like a lot of the low percentage states have a distinctive personality, so people who live there generally want that personality. I would hate Montana, but I assume people who live in Montana want the Montana lifestyle. OTOH high percentage states have less personality -- like if I moved from Hartford to Springfield, it wouldn't be that meaningful, so I'm more open to moving to other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I get that there's a small percentage of very vocal people who hate CT, but those I'm around daily never complain about the state. Sometimes they'll drop small remarks about owning a second place in FL or NH, but that's about it.

Second, I think the fact that we're such a tiny state puts us at a disadvantage in this non-scientific survey. Most of the states that ranked higher than us are huge. Ask the same people if they'd prefer to leave the Northeast, and I'm sure the numbers would be different.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:54 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
One of my friends recently moved from CT to Houston last year, and another friend of mine is also moving to Houston as we speak. Currently, I am also looking into moving to Houston myself. The truth is, CT sucks big time if you're in your 30's and single. Yes, it's a beautiful state, but (a) it's very expensive and (b) it's family oriented. If it was affordable and actually had a decent singles population, I'd love to stay permanently. There is a lack of young people and most of the good jobs are concentrated in FFC, which is a god awful place to live for people at my income level. Also, the winters in CT last a bit too long, although I enjoy the change of seasons (in theory anyway).

CT is also not appealing to most people from the southern states because of (a) high cost of living, (b) long, cold winters, (c) the perception that it's a boring state, and (d) way too much old, shoddy housing and infrastructure. That's the general consensus.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:58 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times
Was the poll taken today ? Weather bias

Who wouldn't move out the way weather has been yesterday and today?

25% of our long daylight hour days are expired for 2014. No sign of spring

Very very very very very very very very very very short growing season. Over before it even starts

Old 05-01-2014, 08:05 AM

720 posts, read 919,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
One of my friends recently moved from CT to Houston last year, and another friend of mine is also moving to Houston as we speak. Currently, I am also looking into moving to Houston myself. The truth is, CT sucks big time if you're in your 30's and single. Yes, it's a beautiful state, but (a) it's very expensive and (b) it's family oriented. If it was affordable and actually had a decent singles population, I'd love to stay permanently. There is a lack of young people and most of the good jobs are concentrated in FFC, which is a god awful place to live for people at my income level. Also, the winters in CT last a bit too long, although I enjoy the change of seasons (in theory anyway).

CT is also not appealing to most people from the southern states because of (a) high cost of living, (b) long, cold winters, (c) the perception that it's a boring state, and (d) way too much old, shoddy housing and infrastructure. That's the general consensus.

Exactly what all young people say when I talk to them about CT.
1. Boring 2. High Taxes 3.Lack of youth 4. Weather

Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times
Uconn and Foxwoods and SW Connecticut Stamford

Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I get that there's a small percentage of very vocal people who hate CT, but those I'm around daily never complain about the state. Sometimes they'll drop small remarks about owning a second place in FL or NH, but that's about it.

Second, I think the fact that we're such a tiny state puts us at a disadvantage in this non-scientific survey. Most of the states that ranked higher than us are huge. Ask the same people if they'd prefer to leave the Northeast, and I'm sure the numbers would be different.
By that logic we can dismiss any statistical survey conducted that compares individual US states because CT is always going to be the same size. and Gallup DOES use scientific methodology in conducting surveys...

FWIW, the survey measures who "would" leave, if given the opportunity, not who "is" leaving. Basically boils down to if you didn't have to worry about what your anchor is (family/job/etc) would you stay here?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Was the poll taken today ? Weather bias
lol, no. This wasn't one of those Hartford Courant website surveys.

Gallup conducts legitimate surveys using industry standard statistical methods. The survey was conducted over a period of months using random sampling of population with statistically significant results (sampling error <5%)--confidence level of 95%.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:04 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,182 times
I have no problem with CT, but I would probably move to Hawaii or San Diego if given unlimited funds. So I guess I would answer "Yes" on the question.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
By that logic we can dismiss any statistical survey conducted that compares individual US states because CT is always going to be the same size.
Yeah, absolutely. I don't think it's illogical to look at it from that perspective. Lists/rankings are only as good as two things: 1) those who conduct them, and 2) the variables compared. The only truly accurate measure would be to compare states that have identical populations.

It's like the rankings that rate CT and MA as having the best public schools. I'm sure if they sampled the public schools in and around Austin or Houston, and compared them to CT, they might rank just as high. It's the podunk towns in nowhere, USA that lack funding, have high dropout rates and low graduation rates. It's also like the rankings that say CT has the highest Human Development Index. By the numbers within our state borders, we do. But if you look at large metro areas across the country, you'll see the metro areas rank as high as we do. Again, it's the podunk towns that bring the state down, so the rest of the country looks at GA thinking it's a hole. Or the rankings that say New Haven is the most dangerous city in the country. Sure, by the numbers, it might be. But we're comparing it to cities like Dallas that include their suburbs in city limits.

Rankings are fun to discuss, but that's really where it stops for most of them. Many comparisons are largely flawed, and seeing your previous posts, I think you would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut