Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeah, absolutely. I don't think it's illogical to look at it from that perspective. Lists/rankings are only as good as two things: 1) those who conduct them, and 2) the variables compared. The only truly accurate measure would be to compare states that have identical populations.

It's like the rankings that rate CT and MA as having the best public schools. I'm sure if they sampled the public schools in and around Austin or Houston, and compared them to CT, they might rank just as high. It's the podunk towns in nowhere, USA that lack funding, have high dropout rates and low graduation rates. It's also like the rankings that say CT has the highest Human Development Index. By the numbers within our state borders, we do. But if you look at large metro areas across the country, you'll see the metro areas rank as high as we do. Again, it's the podunk towns that bring the state down, so the rest of the country looks at GA thinking it's a hole. Or the rankings that say New Haven is the most dangerous city in the country. Sure, by the numbers, it might be. But we're comparing it to cities like Dallas that include their suburbs in city limits.

Rankings are fun to discuss, but that's really where it stops for most of them. Many comparisons are largely flawed, and seeing your previous posts, I think you would agree.
The fact that you put more than 3 seconds of thought into what your reading is refreshing. Too many people can't think or interpret for themselves and are thus a product of what others want them to be.

However, most of the examples you mentioned are absolutes. They are discrete and countable. Every school can be counted and the variables of interest plugged in. The number of graduates can be counted and plugged in. etc etc.

This study, according to the source, used an equal sized sample population (over the age of 18) chosen at random. I believe the number was 600 per state. From there they use statistical modeling to extrapolate the results read in the report--and they do so with and scientifically accepted confidence level.

As I see it, the biggest flaw in the methodology is the method for collecting data: they used land line phone calling. The problem I see with this is that the younger population is underrepresented as we typically do not have land line or "house phones". I know my wife and I don't and to be honest I don't know anyone my age living on their own that does. Although I can't help but assume this accounts for much of the error which, again, falls within valid scientific confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
I don't find CT boring, I do however find CT very limited esp. in my line of work. I would leave for more opportunity which CT is lacking.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Nep- you would HATE Houston. I can guarantee that. You hate long commutes, traffic, urban density, and low class establishments. That IS Houston.

On the OT-
Perhaps one of the reason is that people here have actually SEEN other places? People in CT are (comparably) well traveled compared to many of those in other states who've never been outside the state borders...

I like it here. Staying.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:51 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
As I see it, the biggest flaw in the methodology is the method for collecting data: they used land line phone calling. The problem I see with this is that the younger population is underrepresented as we typically do not have land line or "house phones". I know my wife and I don't and to be honest I don't know anyone my age living on their own that does. Although I can't help but assume this accounts for much of the error which, again, falls within valid scientific confidence.
Yeah, calling LL phones is a problem. This just proves that the methodology is flawed. I have a LL telephone, but most people around my age do not. Most people >40 likely do. Where do those people want to move? Florida.

Again, another garbage list. Fun to discuss, but garbage nonetheless.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:20 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Nep- you would HATE Houston. I can guarantee that. You hate long commutes, traffic, urban density, and low class establishments. That IS Houston.
dude, that was funny. You just slam dunked neps hopes and dreams. Be a little easier on the guy next time, geez.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:25 AM

207 posts, read 272,907 times
All you CT lovers please stay so that you don't ruin other states that have jobs and low taxes.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 AM

148 posts, read 262,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
CT is also not appealing to most people from the southern states because of (a) high cost of living, (b) long, cold winters, (c) the perception that it's a boring state, and (d) way too much old, shoddy housing and infrastructure. That's the general consensus.
I saw the article about this completely unscientific and meaningless poll and it certainly caught my attention since we will be moving from Florida to Connecticut this summer. I can tell you that for us, we are DEFINITELY excited about getting out of Florida and living in CT. Maybe we are the exception but even without children, CT is VASTLY appealing to us over FL.

(a) high cost of living - yes it is more expensive to live in CT but for professional people, the higher salaries usually more than make up for it. My hubs will be making exactly 1/3 more per year starting out working for the state of CT than he does with the SAME EXACT (apples to apples) job title working for the state of FL. Furthermore, in the eight years he has held his position, he has gotten one (merit at that) raise of $1000. In CT he will get a 3% cost of living raise every year! Not to mention, benefits....much MUCH better. Yes, Florida is a cheap state, because......they're cheap. We are MORE THAN HAPPY to pay CT's higher taxes for what we'll be getting in return.

(b) long, cold winters - I've got some insufferable miserable long HOT summers that I'll trade you for those. Seriously for about 4-5 months of the year, we don't even want to leave the house it is just SO INSANELY HOT. You think you have high heating bills? You should see our energy bills in the summer. Not just Florida, I am originally from NC and somehow, it seems even hotter there. Frankly I'm tired of sweltering half the year and looking forward to colder weather.

(c) the perception that it's a boring state - Again, maybe we are just different people but you know what's boring? Freakin' FLORIDA that's what! Yes I said it. We are SO BORED here. If you don't like Disney and skin cancer and getting stung by jellyfish then there's not much to do. Culture? Here most peoples' idea of culture is a new X-Men movie coming out. Being a train ride away from NYC does not sound boring to me!

(d) way too much old, shoddy housing and infrastructure. HA! Vs the NEW shoddy housing and infrastructure that we enjoy here in Florida. Chinese drywall anyone? Yes, stuff here is newer, but is slapped up without much thought or planning or care or quality of construction (our new Jacksonville coliseum has bricks that randomly fall off of it). Roads are better but you have to be on them forever to get anywhere since it is so spread out. I'm not impressed.

We can't get to Connecticut fast enough.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM

207 posts, read 272,907 times
Your husband is going to work for the state of CT. That voting block is what got us into this mess in the first place. Also, as much as I dislike CT, comparing it to Jacksonville is like comparing it to north korea.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:07 PM

627 posts, read 1,057,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
The fine print says it was both land line and cell phones, with "a minimum quota of 50% cellphone respondents and 50% landline respondents." So that's not bad.

I do think ranking data that has a 5% margin of error is kind of messy, but everyone wants lists nowadays.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, but it is probably more slow paced and less congested than FFC. And it has a sizeable gay community, which CT simply lacks. So, it seems like it would relieve all my complaints that I have about FFC. A few of my friends are doing it, so why not me?

It's depressing here and I'm jaded of CT. It's too small of a state to provide sustaining interest beyond living here for 30 years. I've been to every town, seen and done everything, and I'm so "been there done that," with CT. Now that I'm entering my 30's soon, everyone is settled down, and it's just leftovers remaining. I've been single for the past 10 years here, why would the next 10 be any different? Not to mention, at least half of the home grown CT gay population has left the state and continues to do so. How the heck is a single person supposed to be excited about life if they are constantly surrounded by families, old people and gay couples? CT is a settled environment, which is not appealing to single people, especially those entering their 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut