Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
In all fairness the same was said last time and then obama came out of nowhere. That being said, I doubt that could happen again.
True, anything is possible in politics. But let's just say 99.9% for Hilary. If I was a dem, I personally wouldn't spend all that money/time fighting to beat here. I'd just wait 4 years.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
In all fairness the same was said last time and then obama came out of nowhere. That being said, I doubt that could happen again.
It happens enough. Bill Clinton did it in 1992. He was governor of a small backwoods state with a bunch of bimbo baggage. No one expected him to win the nomination.

Hilary's main problem is she's not that likable. Obama's quip in the debates "You're likable enough" was dead on. Since the presidential race has essentially become a likability contest among low information voters (voting based on who they'd like to have a beer with), she's vulnerable to candidates with a bit of charisma and who can connect with people (see Obama in 2008). So I don't think she's a shoe in.

That being said, she's smart and capable and would make a good president IMO. There's no doubt in my mind that she would be better than Obama (or W for that matter).

Old 05-02-2014, 01:48 PM

363 posts, read 635,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Hilary will have nomination. Almost guaranteed.(only possibility of it not happening is some kind of huge scandal) I'm surprised other dems would even bother running a campaign in the primary.
Ut um. Let me introduce you to the word Benghazi...

Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
well, Obama made a big splash at the Democratic National Convention in 2004, so he was a rising star in the Democratic party. I think even conservative Charles Krauthammer urged him to run for president. (No, not out of love for Obama or his politics...)

While I thought Marco Rubio at the RNC and Julian Castro at the DNC both gave excellent speeches (not judging on the content, but the overall quality of their story and words), neither seems to be quite the rising star as Obama was after 2004. I could see Castro as a VP nominee to Hillary, but Rubio cannot legally be VP if Jeb is the nominee, as they're both from the same state.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:56 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
True, anything is possible in politics. But let's just say 99.9% for Hilary. If I was a dem, I personally wouldn't spend all that money/time fighting to beat here. I'd just wait 4 years.
I hear ya. It would be pretty difficult to find funding if you were a Dem going up against Hillary in the primary--although if the candidate is spineless I'm sure plenty of us right wingers would throw quite a bit of money for someone to go up against Old Hill to help disrupt things a bit

After the primary, she's almost certain to win the presidency since there are really no strong republican candidates. I'm obviously not happy about that but either way i'm sick of the whole perfect 'political candidate" thing. America needs a perfect "presidential candidate" Someone who has held real jobs, is not the product of nepotism, who actually needs to budget their own personal finances, who has kids that could be sent to war just like anyone elses, who doesn't b&tch about the environment while flying around in private jets (before presidency obviously), who doesn't try to erode the second amendment from behind bullet proof walls surrounding by armed security (think bloomberg), who doesn't exploit fear of terrorism to warrantlessly spy on an entire nation of people, someone with demonstrable success of creating jobs....

Hillary has none of these qualities.Neither did her husband. Neither did Bush.Neither does Obama. Every term we spend with another politician in office, our country will become further divided with increasing legislative and diplomatic gridlock. Both parties are guilty because, for some reason, the people keep voting for the guy with a fake smile who speaks well rather than the guy with 30 years of running businesses, raising children, moving up through socioeconomic strata, and creating jobs. I will never understand it.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM

23 posts, read 44,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
I know, Obama and Clinton should have resigned after Benghazi, just like Ronald Reagan resigned after 241 marines were killed in Beirut! Or, like George W. Bush resigned when 11 Benghazis happened on his watch.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
That's only a "scandal" for people who watch fox news. Not the primary voters in the democratic party.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:50 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
It happens enough. Bill Clinton did it in 1992. He was governor of a small backwoods state with a bunch of bimbo baggage. No one expected him to win the nomination.

Hilary's main problem is she's not that likable. Obama's quip in the debates "You're likable enough" was dead on. Since the presidential race has essentially become a likability contest among low information voters (voting based on who they'd like to have a beer with), she's vulnerable to candidates with a bit of charisma and who can connect with people (see Obama in 2008). So I don't think she's a shoe in.

That being said, she's smart and capable and would make a good president IMO. There's no doubt in my mind that she would be better than Obama (or W for that matter).
This is a really good point

I think people assume that Hillary will win but if a charismatic Democrat can test her she is definitely vulnerable

Likability and baggage from when Bill was in office is a big reason why

Old 05-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I am a democrat. I just meant a democrat running for president. Just wanted to be clear on that.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:17 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Not true. She will be age 36 in 2016
Goddamn I'm getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: